Why become a member? ×

Ex-Pino stack-knob at New Kings Road Guitars

rodney72a

Yours for £16K.

Changed pots, repair on the body. Decal looks like a replacement.

Bet it sounds amazing though!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-PINO-PALLADINO-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-STACK-KNOB-1961-VINTAGE-FENDER-BASS-WHO-/391434650065?hash=item5b2352c1d1:g:D2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d[/url]

Edited by rodney72a

[list]
[*]Utterly Godawful condition - check
[*]Absolutely NOT all original - check
[*]Owned by famous musician but not particularly associated with him - check
[*]Completely irrelevant mention of famous band - check
[*]Ludicrously inflated price - double check with bells on
[/list]
What's not to like?

:lol:

Edited by Happy Jack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-EX-OASIS-AND-THE-WHO-1968-ex-JOHN-ENTWISTLE/391269640446?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140221143405%26meid%3Dc53fdbb49d9b41f09474bec0220cd8e6%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D391434650065

Another totally irrelevant one here, great shop...

Considering the artists he's been playing with recently, I doubt Mr Paladino is short of a bob or two and I would imagine also that he's not desperate to free up the space this instrument occupies, so I wonder why he's selling it?

Could it be that it's not actually a very good bass?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461160790' post='3032002'][list]
[*]Utterly Godawful condition - check
[*]Absolutely NOT all original - check
[*]Owned by famous musician but not particularly associated with him - check
[*]Completely irrelevant mention of famous band - check
[*]Ludicrously inflated price - double check with bells on
[/list]
What's not to like?

:lol:
[/quote]

Well, they never claim it being all original. 'Mention of famous band' - where?

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1461162066' post='3032020']
Well, they never claim it being all original. 'Mention of famous band' - where?
[/quote]

The listing is entitled

[color=#333333]EX PINO PALLADINO FENDER JAZZ BASS STACK KNOB - 1961 -VINTAGE FENDER BASS - WHO[/color]

I'm pretty sure The Who qualify as a "famous band" to most bass players ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461162231' post='3032023']
The listing is entitled

[color=#333333]EX PINO PALLADINO FENDER JAZZ BASS STACK KNOB - 1961 -VINTAGE FENDER BASS - WHO[/color]

I'm pretty sure The Who qualify as a "famous band" to most bass players ...
[/quote]

Maybe it used to belong to the World Health Organisation? :ph34r:

"Paint re touching by Clive Brown"

Eh?? :huh:

A quick Google search shows Pino playing almost every bass know to man except a stack knob Jazz.

And they have the cheek to ask for £80 economy delivery!! In what universe is £80 an economy delivery? I wouldn`t want Parcelforce delivering this.

Edited by jezzaboy

That Thunderbird though does in all fairness offer the chance to own an instrument played and owned by one of the true legends of the bass guitar. A player who has inspired generations of bass players and completely redefined the boundaries of where bass playing could be taken. Not to mention that we will never have the opportunity to see this great man grace the stages of the world again. I mean, it's Guigsy from Oasis for goodness sake!!!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1461179164' post='3032270']
"Paint re touching by Clive Brown"

Eh?? :huh:

[/quote]

Clive is a bit of a hero in the vintage world. He calls his work 'restorations' rather than refinished. Some of his work is simply outstanding. This is not the best example to be fair, but then it did have a huge chunk taken out of it ;)

How can a bass get to that point of damage on the body (even after 55 years)??? Did they drag it across gravel on to gigs? Did the owner played it with a jackhammer??? And why is the neck all pretty and shiny?

16K for this? Nope! If i pick up an old piece of furniture with 55 years old and shape a J body out of a bit of its wood and add new electronics would i be able to sell it for a premium, just because the wood is 55yo? Of course not!

It's London + vintage + big name bass player = stupidly expensive.

It's a huge amount of money for a reasonably scarce bass. I'm just not sure where this whole vintage thing is going, it's all getting a bit silly now, although there are some great guitars still out there for reasonable money. I picked up a 73 Strat for £1000, and an all original 74' Tele Custom for £1400 privately, both of which would cost double (at least) in a London shop.

On the whole shop thing, obviously there are additional factors in play like shop rent, staff salaries, VAT, etc.

So quite large additional factors then.

If I were the owner/manager of a shop selling instruments, I'd expect to charge substantially more for a bass than a private vendor would charge, perhaps even as much as 50% more. Not because I'm a greedy fatcat but because I'd probably need to charge that much simply to get the same return as the private vendor.

That said, prices such as this example are on another planet. I might contemplate paying this much for a pristine example played for 50 years by one of my favourite bass players, but by any normal standards this bass is a wreck. Take away the provenance (which means the new owner needs to keep all this proof of ownership and history in a safe place, and be prepared to argue the toss with potential buyers in the event of a future sale) and it's worth at most a third of the asking price.

IMHO of course.

Another big factor Rick has to contend with at NKR is that most of the gear there is on a commision sale basis, so if the selling punter wants the top end of the market back on it, there's another chunk on top for the shops end, (then eBay's end which factors on cheaper gear too). However for some buying punters this is ok because they'd rather pay extra and spend their hard earned £1000's in an established shop, with a bonified reciept, rather than buying from say you or me.

I love the guys at NKR and had 3 happy years there, I can't defend £16k but i bet it'll sell for much less in the end. Perhaps it's also that Pino only wants to sell if he can get top dollar? It is what it is, buy it or don't i guess. In my time there I saw some lovely gear come in and out, some hang around and some sell in a flash, it's a funny market that'd give me sleepless nights if it was my bread and butter.

Like Jebo1 said, it's all gone a bit silly now, but the wheels still turn somehow.

I have a vintage 2012 American Standard P for sale carefully modified by world famous modification artist Haz Been. I think I may ask them to sell if for me, 16k may be a bit steep but then I am not too bothered if it does not sell. Not at all being sarcastic I promise :)

In all seriousness, I would never pay even a quarter for a jazz bass (not even a '62 stacked knob) but market demand dictates the price. If some Chelsea numpty wants to pay... clearly that the correct price then.