Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 4x10 announced!

LewisK1975

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465560680' post='3069273']
Hang on, what happened to all the pictures of Trotsky?? Did Stalin have him airbrushed out, or something?? :huh:
[/quote]

If you read back you see there's been a thread tidy. Play nice, it's that simple.

Any posts keeping the nonsense going will be removed without PM. Persistent offenders will be sanctioned in accordance with forum rules.

However, posts about this 410, or any 410, or bass, or amps or gigging are welcome.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Edited by Billy Apple

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1466624238' post='3077400']
It's landed. I now need to book a rehearsal room for two hours to break it in... Just me, my gear and some ear plugs.
[/quote]

Glorious. Think I want that rig. Can I have the amp back please? :D

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1466624238' post='3077400']
It's landed. I now need to book a rehearsal room for two hours to break it in... Just me, my gear and some ear plugs.
[/quote]

Just to be super fussy, does anyone else wish they'd use black screws/bolts to hold the speakers in? :ph34r:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1466763630' post='3078514']
Just to be super fussy, does anyone else wish they'd use black screws/bolts to hold the speakers in? :ph34r:
[/quote]

The vintage grill takes care of that!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1466772856' post='3078677']
The vintage grill takes care of that!
[/quote]
[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1466774055' post='3078694']
I can't see them...☺
[/quote]

Haha OK - what about the folks (like me) with black steel grilles?

Edit: Nice setup that doomed.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1467898479' post='3087159']
Did I imagine a branch of this thread where a four10 and two10 were combined to make a 4 ohm rig? Can't find it.
[/quote]

No you`ve not gone mad, it was mine - I spoke to Alex via e-mail and he said pairing the 8ohm 410 and the 12ohm 210 ends up virtually the same as the 40hm 610. So am eagerly awaiting...........

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/287365-barefaced-410-210-ordered-ok-im-a-fanboi/

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465555331' post='3069177'] I just made the point about the 410 shape which was they said was wrong for several reasons.
[/quote]If one is actually aware of 'the low pass thing' then they'd be aware of how it cures most of the ills created by the 410 shape. I wouldn't want a 410 myself, I'd rather a pair of vertical 210, being easier to transport and it places the drivers high enough for the mids to be heard close to the cab, the one ill that low passing two drivers in a 410 can't cure. But if you're bound to the 410 format for whatever reason the least you can do is to use the only one I'm aware of that is correctly engineered.
Not that I would take all of the credit away from Alex, but I was posting about the benefits of low passing one driver column in 410, 610 and 810 formats long before BF existed, and there's no way that he didn't read at least one of them, so I'll accept some. But he's hardly the only designer/manufacturer to peruse bass forums, which begs the question: Why has no one else bothered to fix the errors of their ways? And why doesn't the marketplace hold them accountable? Starting with anyone here considering a 210, 410, 610 or 810 from anyone other than BF?

No, that doesn't make me a BF fanboy. It makes me a fanboy of proper engineering. If and when someone else does the right thing I'll give credit to them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

These cabs take a bit of breaking in,I'd give it several hours, once done they sound great. I've swapped the CMT100 out for a Trace Elliot AH600-12 as the Ashdown sounded to smooth for the sound we have. Think early Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus etc. Gigged it last night at The Black Swan Bradford and it sounded fantastic. I even had a bassist from another band compliment me on my sound and ask for a run down on my set up which was cool.

I have no idea what 4x10 cabs from other manufacturers sound like as this is the first time I've used one. It certainly works for me in my current set up, it's very easy to manage and seems to be well built. I can only recommended you try one but make sure it's had a good work out first to loosen those speakers up.

When I first tried it with the Ashdown it was brand new, it sounded okay but I was a touch underwhelmed, that was during two hours of me, by myself in a rehearsal room thrashing the nuts off the cab. At one point the was gain around 2 o'clock and everything else maxed out, including the master volume. The cab took it easy and I started to think maybe I needed more power to get it moving. A couple of band practices followed. It sounded ok. A Trace Elliot head was acquired it sounded good. Played a gig on a knock up hollow stage... Nope not happy. Couple more practice session then a gig last night... Bang, excellent aggressive, punchy, tight. I'm a happy boy.

I dropped the Ashdown on it before this gig too. It sounded huge. Deep,thick valve goodness. What I thought I'd get aft the original 2 hours of torture.

Break those speakers in kids,your ears will thank you for it. (ear plugs recommend)

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1468753641' post='3093053']
Break those speakers in kids, your ears will thank you for it (ear plugs recommended).
[/quote]

This is [i]so [/i]important - yet of course new cabs will have unbroken drivers in them. Also we tend to audition cabs solo, in a non-gig situation. Obviously any rig is going to sound different at a gig and different again with broken-in drivers in it. So it's hardly surprising that so many people buy cabs based on what they have read about them and are then disappointed when their new cabs don't perform as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1468753641' post='3093053']
These cabs take a bit of breaking in,I'd give it several hours, once done they sound great. I've swapped the CMT100 out for a Trace Elliot AH600-12 as the Ashdown sounded to smooth for the sound we have. Think early Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus etc. Gigged it last night at The Black Swan Bradford and it sounded fantastic. I even had a bassist from another band compliment me on my sound and ask for a run down on my set up which was cool.

I have no idea what 4x10 cabs from other manufacturers sound like as this is the first time I've used one. It certainly works for me in my current set up, it's very easy to manage and seems to be well built. I can only recommended you try one but make sure it's had a good work out first to loosen those speakers up.

When I first tried it with the Ashdown it was brand new, it sounded okay but I was a touch underwhelmed, that was during two hours of me, by myself in a rehearsal room thrashing the nuts off the cab. At one point the was gain around 2 o'clock and everything else maxed out, including the master volume. The cab took it easy and I started to think maybe I needed more power to get it moving. A couple of band practices followed. It sounded ok. A Trace Elliot head was acquired it sounded good. Played a gig on a knock up hollow stage... Nope not happy. Couple more practice session then a gig last night... Bang, excellent aggressive, punchy, tight. I'm a happy boy.

I dropped the Ashdown on it before this gig too. It sounded huge. Deep,thick valve goodness. What I thought I'd get aft the original 2 hours of torture.

Break those speakers in kids,your ears will thank you for it. (ear plugs recommend)
[/quote]

Re the "knock up hollow stage", I had a similar problem in a rehearsal room. I think the ports underneath are breathing too hard for a hollow floor, but are quite alright with solid floor. To date that's the only problem I've had with the four10 (although I wasn't able to switch cabs to pin it on the BF).

FYI I just receive my roqsolid cover for it. Perfect fit, really good quality.

Edited by bigjimmyc

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds better and better every time I use it. Back on a hollow stage tomorrow though, small gig in Stockton. Let's see what happens.

And mirror the comments above regarding Roqsolid, my cover is spot on.

Edited by 2elliot

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1470863165' post='3109090']It sounds better and better every time I use it. Back on a hollow stage tomorrow though, small gig in Stockton. Let's see what happens.[/quote]

If it booms on that hollow stage try turning it on its side (I know it doesn't have side feet but just to test). If that solves it then it is the output from the hybrid resonator causing the problem, if not it's just the usual powerful cab generating pressure by a hollow stage and causing stage resonance problem.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1470864287' post='3109104']
If it booms on that hollow stage try turning it on its side (I know it doesn't have side feet but just to test). If that solves it then it is the output from the hybrid resonator causing the problem, if not it's just the usual powerful cab generating pressure by a hollow stage and causing stage resonance problem.
[/quote]

okay, I'll give that a try if required.

Cheers

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1470864287' post='3109104']

[/quote]
Won't that mess up the line array implementation?