Why become a member? ×

Thinking of buying an Orange ob1

Twincam

I really like them - I use one quite often at one of the rehearsal studios I use.

They're Orange so you kind of know what you're going to get - a nice vintagey clean tone & lots of over-drive options. The EQ doesn't seem to do a whole lot but I do like the blend option for the drive - works very well & is a believable approximation of OD.

Definitely try before you buy; their core tone is good but then I do like that sound.

*Edit - this is the "rack" head I'm talking about, not the new combo.

Edited by Lw.

I've video reviewed both the head alone and combo in Guitar Interactive.I really liked them both, though I'd have gone for the head so I could pop it on the cabinets of my choice.

I like it a lot. It's not for everyone but it does its thing really well. The power rating is definitely on the conservative side, into 4 ohms it is easily loud enough for pub gigs. I would say the EQ has a reasonably wide, but not drastic range; don't expect Genz-style tweakability but it is well voiced and more flexible than the Terror.

It'll be more than enough with just a decent 8 ohm cab - two 8 ohm cabs & it would be thunderous! This is a proper solid-state amp which is perfect for pubs & clubs - very solidly built too, not the lightest or smallest but then it's not designed to be light & small.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461173869' post='3032199']Will the 300 version be loud enough for gigs in general? While not getting into a cab debate.[/quote]

Unfortunately you can't say if any cab is loud enough for any gig without getting into a cab debate - amps don't make any sound on their own! ;)

300W into a 4x10" will be as loud as 600W into an equivalent 2x10" (if the 2x10" could handle all 600W, which is unlikely). And 300W into an 8x10" will be as loud as 600W into an equivalent 4x10". Etc etc.

I haven't tried one of these yet but I like the preamp design!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461252970' post='3032939']
Urgh why did they have to make them with no 1/4 speaker output. My dodgy cab is hard wired. Slightly annoying I will have some soldering to do or get an adaptor. If I get one.
[/quote]

If you use a speakon plug then there won't be any soldering - chop the old jack off, strip the leads to the right lengths and they'll screw into the speakon.

I can't tell from the photo's but are you sure they're not combi-plugs? Though I may be able to check next week at rehearsal as I think I'm in the the studio that uses these amps.

How did you like the sound?

Edited by Lw.