Why become a member? ×

Struggling with the pedaltrain volto, options?

Guinness21

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I've just started building my pedalboard, I've had a PT mini and volto for ages now after I was given them by pedaltrain as I did some work for them. I currently have a tc spark mini, tc polytune and just bought a pike vulcan xl. With the vulcan xl I get a bit of hiss and I'm hardly cranking the gain, spoke to a few people and that's not the norm. I was advised to run it at 18v - trouble is the volto can only deal with 9v. Then I saw one of these -[/font][/color][url="http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/18v.html"]18V Adaptor | Adaptors | Pedal Power | Products[/url][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] - and thought that might be the answer. I email Pedaltrain asking them, their response was:[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]"I wouldn’t recommend doing that. The Volto was designed to run 9V Analog pedals, and anything outside of that may end up damaging the Volto and voiding the warranty."[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]This is hardly confidence inspiring. I want a diamond bass comp too, but that's another 18v pedal. SO what do I do? Anybody out there who uses volto's and can offer advice? Do I try a 9-18v adaptor anyway, the diago site seams fairly confident about it. Do I stick to 9v pedals and just use one of these for the vulcan to stop the hiss? - [/font][/color][url="http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/isolator.html"]Isolator Adaptor | Adaptors | Pedal Power | Products[/url][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]. Do I look for a new power supply? I love the convenience of the volto.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Any/all advice appreciated[/font][/color]

I think they are just erring on the side of caution, under normal operation the adapter should not damage your Volto. Sounds like a canned response from a support person who perhaps doesn't understand what this adapter does.

If your Vulcan still hisses when it's the only pedal connected to the supply and the only one in your signal chain, then the isolation adapter will not help you either.

Edited by dannybuoy

I have a Volto and ran a Fulltone Bassdrive with the 9-18v adaptor no problem, but it was in a chain of only four pedals. I'm not overly keen on the Volto anyway - I can never guarantee the amount of charge available and the battery discharges at an alarming rate when not in use, so I have to plan in advance to ensure it's charged. I try to avoid using it to be honest.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1461220271' post='3032490']
I think they are just erring on the side of caution, under normal operation the adapter should not damage your Volto. Sounds like a canned response from a support person who perhaps doesn't understand what this adapter does.

If your Vulcan still hisses when it's the only pedal connected to the supply and the only one in your signal chain, then the isolation adapter will not help you either.
[/quote]

Thanks Dany, I think I was thinking this in the back of my mind but was just was airing on the side of caution.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1461221844' post='3032507']
I have a Volto and ran a Fulltone Bassdrive with the 9-18v adaptor no problem, but it was in a chain of only four pedals. I'm not overly keen on the Volto anyway - I can never guarantee the amount of charge available and the battery discharges at an alarming rate when not in use, so I have to plan in advance to ensure it's charged. I try to avoid using it to be honest.
[/quote]

So you've actually used one? I'd only be using 3/4 pedals too. Do you think I could use 2 adaptors with it? I saw this pic on talkbass, the guy was using a charge pack with the volto so it lasted a lot longer, was thinking of doing this.

That 9V-18V charge pump circuit is actually used in loads of pedals these days. So if Pedaltrain say the Volto can work with an EHX Glove for example, that is no different to using the Diago adapter with an 18V pedal.

No reason why you couldn't use two of them, however if the pedals don't draw too much current you could use a splitter off a single 18V adapter.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1461266825' post='3033206']
That 9V-18V charge pump circuit is actually used in loads of pedals these days. So if Pedaltrain say the Volto can work with an EHX Glove for example, that is no different to using the Diago adapter with an 18V pedal.

No reason why you couldn't use two of them, however if the pedals don't draw too much current you could use a splitter off a single 18V adapter.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, very helpful. I'm buying a couple of the 18v adaptors. Finally made a decision on a compressor too, going for the Diamond bass comp. Thinking of grabbing a charge pack to use alongside the volto, seen a guy use one on talkbass and extended the life of the volto even further.

• 3 months later...