Why become a member? ×

TecAmp vs GK thoughts.

Marty Forrer

I have a GK MB800 amp, and in the continuing quest for the perfect tone (Bwahahahaha!!!) I have A/B'd it against a MarkBass LM and Nano heads, an Ampeg PF500 head, and the GK always wins due to the clarity of sound. I have TecAmp Puma on my mind, but these are not sold where I live, so looking to see if anyone here has A/B'd a Puma against the GK? If so, what was the conclusion? I mainly play a double bass, and have two Barefaced One10 cabs.
Thanks.

Have a look in the sub forum entitled double bass and EUB. Do a search there.
Quite a few topics on what you are looking for.
You don't say where you are from, but it looks like new TecAmp ar only available from the US now, which is going to make them pricey for Europe.

Thomas Eich, who was TecAmp, has set a new business up called EICH Amplification.
The new EICH'S look very similar in features to PUMA, just a new fascia. And a little more expensive.

Good luck.

I have a GK MB500 Fusion and a Tecamp Black Jag 500. I presume that the Black Jag is basically a Puma with some whistles and bells added. I don't really use any of the whistles and bells (like bass or treble boost or compression) and have the eq pretty much flat all the time. The Tecamp is my 'go to' amp for gigging and to my mind it always delivers. I like straightforward punchy and clear sound with anything extra coming from pedals. The one thing the Fusion has is 2 switchable channels with their own gain which I like. It's a good sounding amp but I find the Tecamp more balanced and it seems to sit better in the mix somehow.

Edited by Japhet

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1461304143' post='3033413'] I had a GK500 Fusion for 2 hours before k sent it back. I now have a Puma 300 and a One10 cab. I play in a local educational trust orchestra. I've never been happier with the sound. [/quote]
I got a GK Fusion 550, the one with multi-valve pretty, and within a couple of hours I knew I loved it! :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1461309802' post='3033459']
I have a GK MB500 Fusion and a Tecamp Black Jag 500. I presume that the Black Jag is basically a Puma with some whistles and bells added. I don't really use any of the whistles and bells (like bass or treble boost or compression) and have the eq pretty much flat all the time. The Tecamp is my 'go to' amp for gigging and to my mind it always delivers. I like straightforward punchy and clear sound with anything extra coming from pedals. The one thing the Fusion has is 2 switchable channels with their own gain which I like. It's a good sounding amp but I find the Tecamp more balanced and it seems to sit better in the mix somehow.
[/quote]

Pwhoarrrr Black Jag :gas: :gas: :gas: