Why become a member? ×

Best bass strap for back issues and weight distribution

funkyjimbob

Hi there!

This has probably been asked a million times before but I wanted an up-to-date opinion from some of you guys.

I play a couple of gigs a week and although being a fit rugby player of 32 years of age I struggle with shoulder and back issues, specifically on my fretting arm side (left). I currently use a Comfort Strapp but after a gig I have shoulder pain where the strap has been resting and also pain in between my shoulder blades on the left hand side. This is definitely related to playing bass as it only occurs during and after a gig.

A friend has recommended the Gruv Gear solo strap 4.0 but I will have to order one from the USA. I have seen some on BassDirect (Mono, NeoTech) and wondered if anyone had any experience with these?

The basses I have are Warwick Infinity Custom Shop 5 string, Warwick Streamer Stage 1 Custom Shop 5 string and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 5 String so reasonably big and weighty.

Thanks!

Sorry I can't offer strap suggestions (if it was a bari sax I'd recommend a harness) but I would suggest seeing a sports physio - and take your bass/strap with you. Probably cost you around £30 ish for an hour. You may have posture or other things making life harder than is needed or muscles that need easing off.

Edited by zbd1960

I am literally in the same situation as you.
32, used to play rugby, bad left shoulder and back.
Had an op on my left shoulder to shorten the ligaments and re-attach shoulder.
So i wanted a good strap. As i ached really badly after a full gig.
Speak to Walbassist (Gareth). He was selling a few straps not long ago. He may still have some?
Really wide, and soft leather. Has done the job for me

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1461316993' post='3033577']
Sorry I can't offer strap suggestions (if it was a bari sax I'd recommend a harness) but I would suggest seeing a sports physio - and take your bass/strap with you. Probably cost you around £30 ish for an hour. You may have posture or other things making life harder than is needed or muscles that need easing off.
[/quote]

Sorry should have added, I have sports physio with my rugby team. I had a shoulder ligament injury (in the other shoulder strangely) which does cause my upper back to get tight. This has eased off a little but is unfortunately something I have to deal with because of the nature of the injury. I regularly weight lift and rehab my shoulder and back with thera-bands and stretches. Lots of rotator-cuff stuff too.

The Comfort Strapp doesn't seem to be doing a lot for me so was just wondering if there were better alternatives.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1461317168' post='3033581']
I am literally in the same situation as you.
32, used to play rugby, bad left shoulder and back.
Had an op on my left shoulder to shorten the ligaments and re-attach shoulder.
So i wanted a good strap. As i ached really badly after a full gig.
Speak to Walbassist (Gareth). He was selling a few straps not long ago. He may still have some?
Really wide, and soft leather. Has done the job for me
[/quote]

How bizarre... This is EXACTLY the injury and position I am in now! My ligament tear (as I presume yours was a shoulder separation too?) wasn't severe enough for an operation but still was pretty bad. The ache is horrible isn't it? It took me ages to be able to deadlift, press, etc in the gym again but the pain is still there. Will never really go according to the Doctor too. Wouldn't have swapped the fun I had playing rugby for 20 years for anything though.

I'll drop him a message so thanks for the advice.

Edited by funkyjimbob

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1461317464' post='3033584']
How bizarre... This is EXACTLY the injury and position I am in now! My ligament tear (as I presume yours was a shoulder separation too?) wasn't severe enough for an operation but still was pretty bad. The ache is horrible isn't it? It took me ages to be able to deadlift, press, etc in the gym again but the pain is still there. Will never really go according to the Doctor too. Wouldn't have swapped the fun I had playing rugby for 20 years for anything though.

I'll drop him a message so thanks for the advice.
[/quote]

Yeh reading your quote was as if i was reading something i had written a couple of months ago. Yeh, dislocated my shoulder when i was 18, and had problems with it all the way till i was 26 and had the op. The rehab was crappy. Not enjoyable having to "start again" with all the weights and movements i took for granted previously. Back to what i would consider full fitness now but still get the ache. When i sleep on it all night, or when i move in a strange way it will feel funny, so guess the doctor was right. May never totally be better. But yeh, i'd never swap those years for anything else.
Gareth might not have any left, but he could at least tell you what they were. Best £20 odd quid ive spent in a while.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1461318877' post='3033597']
Yeh reading your quote was as if i was reading something i had written a couple of months ago. Yeh, dislocated my shoulder when i was 18, and had problems with it all the way till i was 26 and had the op. The rehab was crappy. Not enjoyable having to "start again" with all the weights and movements i took for granted previously. Back to what i would consider full fitness now but still get the ache. When i sleep on it all night, or when i move in a strange way it will feel funny, so guess the doctor was right. May never totally be better. But yeh, i'd never swap those years for anything else.
Gareth might not have any left, but he could at least tell you what they were. Best £20 odd quid ive spent in a while.
[/quote]

I've decided to take up mountain biking again now to keep myself fit so hopefully shouldn't be injuring myself anytime soon. It's not like it's just as risky... haha.

Awesome. I hope it helps. It starts to become a hindrance sometimes painwise, especially with the load-out after the gig.

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1461319601' post='3033607']
So the lesson here is don't play bass and rugby then !!! :P
[/quote]

I'd suggest never playing rugby if you worry about your physical well-being! I've had a few biggies but luckily mostly cosmetic. For instance, this happened to me in 2010... [url="http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Police-investigate-Exeter-man-s-rugby-injury/story-11802999-detail/story.html"]http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Police-investigate-Exeter-man-s-rugby-injury/story-11802999-detail/story.html[/url]

It's ok though, the birds love a scar apparently.

I also suffer from neck & shoulder pain and was wondering. While all these straps (duo strap excluded) make your bass feel lighter, is it actually spreading the load better or are you actually doing more harm than good by using one? I use a comfort strap by the way, but also invested in a lighter bass a few years ago too.

I considered the Mono GS-1 but I have the strap at about 47" and want to have the potential to adjust it in either direction, which would have meant two GS-1s. I bought the Neotech Mega instead. Seems well made and comfortable. Doesn't slip either.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1461316466' post='3033560']
A friend has recommended the Gruv Gear solo strap 4.0[b] but I will have to order one from the USA[/b]. I have seen some on BassDirect (Mono, NeoTech) and wondered if anyone had any experience with these?

[/quote]

Why is that? You can order one from thomann :)
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gruvgear_solostrap_4_neo_bk.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ap_4_neo_bk.htm[/url]

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1461524358' post='3035431']
Neotech Mega Bass Strap.

just brilliant for my knackered back.

I have 3 of them now.
[/quote]

I have a Comfort Strapp and 2 Neotech Mega Straps. I bought one Neotech and it was so good I got another for my other P. The Comfort is relegated to my lighter short scale bass.

Before playing I run through a Pilates-based routine shared by Happy Jack at a bass bash. It helps to pull your muscles and skellington into line.

Edited by JapanAxe

I can't understand why a strap similar to those on a Golf Bag hasn't been developed for musicians. My golf bag weighs a lot more than any of my basses yet I can carry it around for 4 hours without any issues.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2016-TAYLORMADE-TOUR-LITE-DUAL-CARRY-STRAP-GOLF-STAND-BAG-FREE-GIFT-/231834602504?var=&hash=item35fa6b4c08:m:m9h0gB58wLICHOqdoVD5r3w"]http://www.ebay.co.u...wLICHOqdoVD5r3w[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Izzo-Golf-Dual-Comfort-Swivel-Strap-for-Carry-Bags-by-IZZO-Med-Large-/351667570212?hash=item51e1054624:g:YfIAAOSwP~tW1tN8"]http://www.ebay.co.u...fIAAOSwP~tW1tN8[/url]

Edited by TheGreek

An alternative idea is to do what I did and make your own strap. I looked around for a decent wide strap and came across a couple of 5" options but not in this country, so by the time shipping was added they became fairly expensive. They also were likely going to be a bit shorter than I would have liked for my bass where one of the strap buttons is where the neck meets the body, rather than on the upper horn, meaning you need a slightly longer strap.

So instead I ordered a strip of dark brown oil tanned leather from a dealer on eBay. Just had to taper the ends down and add a couple of holes. The leather itself is incredibly supple. I ordered a strip wide enough that it covers pretty much my whole shoulder, thinking I'd cut it down a bit once I figured out what width worked best for me. It's so flexible and comfortable though that I haven't done that. Despite the crazy width (over 6"!) it isn't at all unwieldy or uncomfortable because of it. The weight of the bass is therefore spread over a greater area which in my opinion matters more than padding.

I guess if you are fashion conscious and play in a band you might feel such a width looks silly. I can understand that, but I just play for my own amusement so don't care about anything other than being comfortable while practicing.

I got a comfort strapp from Bass Direct.

Never gonna look for another strap ever again! If this one wears out or is lost, ill just buy another one.

It distributes the weight very well, and it has a little give in it which gives he bass the illusion of being lighter

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1462983113' post='3047575']
I got a comfort strapp from Bass Direct.

Never gonna look for another strap ever again! If this one wears out or is lost, ill just buy another one.

It distributes the weight very well, and it has a little give in it which gives he bass the illusion of being lighter
[/quote]

I've used a Comfort Strapp for years but it just doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore. This new strap is a wider so hoping this will really help. Haven't gigged it yet but when I've tried it at home I don't even know the bass is on my shoulders! Got a jam night tonight so will give it a whirl then.