Why become a member? ×

Struggling th500

danbanbass

To get a more Ampeggy type sound from the TH, turn the Drive all the way up, then set the Gain to how much overdrive/gain required/not required, then get your overall volume form the Master Volume. Doing this tightens up the low end, although you do lose some highs as well. As such it does make the sound more middy, so again, drop (or boost if wanted) the mids.

I have a driven sound if hit hard, and also use a P-bass, I have Drive on Full, Gain at Midday, Bass at Midday, Treble at 2 o`clock, and both Mid Freq and Mid Level at 10 o`clock. Reduce the Gain to stop the growl, and then be in traditional Ampeg territory. Also bear in mind that the Quarterpounder pickup in the Nate is very powerful, so you`ll probably need to really reduce Gain and up Master Volume.

Have you tried adding a compressor? An always on comp with very light settings will help to control and tighten your sound up. Alternatively try a different bass with similar settings, and try to isolate the issue.

The TH's are FANTASTIC amps, but they require some learning/playing with to understand just how to get the tone you want.

The Gain and Drive controls on the Tonehammers take some getting used. The drive, for example, doesn't just create a distorted type sound, it also interacts with the EQ section and basically changes your EQ.

I'd never describe it as either growly or loose. Try it with a Jazz bass. Mine sounds very tight

It takes some getting used to.

That said, if you want a Foo Fighters sound, buy Ashdown

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1461489967' post='3034987']
The Gain and Drive controls on the Tonehammers take some getting used. The drive, for example, doesn't just create a distorted type sound, it also interacts with the EQ section and basically changes your EQ.

I'd never describe it as either growly or loose. Try it with a Jazz bass. Mine sounds very tight

It takes some getting used to.

That said, if you want a Foo Fighters sound, buy Ashdown
[/quote]

All good points, and the last one pretty spot on. The Rootmaster head gets the classic Ashdown sound, and is only a tiny bit bigger than the TH500. Heard one last week and was very impressed with it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1461494907' post='3035073']...get an amp that makes a great sound and lets you sound like you, not someone else.
[/quote]

But the fellow said, in his original post ...

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1461364132' post='3034146']...I play in a Foo fighters tribute band and can't get it to sound right....
[/quote]

... so is obviously trying to sound like the Foo Fighter's bassist. Just sayin'. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1461364132' post='3034146']
I'm struggling to get a good sound with this head. I play in a Foo fighters tribute band and can't get it to sound right.
[/quote]

If you're trying to sound like Nate then you should probably buy an Ashdown rig.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1461489967' post='3034987']
...if you want a Foo Fighters sound, buy Ashdown
[/quote]

Whoops, beaten to it. A while back. ;)

Edited by discreet

As sounds go... should be easy to achieve.
I think the TE were never that great way back then..depending on its vintage and miles on the clock too..
so that sounds a week link in the chain, for a start.

But if the OP has ruled that out..??

I think I'm either just having trouble coaxing a tight clear useable sound from it, I've had Ashdown gear before and have never been blown away by it.

Nates clean bass sound is what I'm after in that vid, but Ashdown don't seem to compliment my playing, the other issue is I either can get the cut and loose the largeness in the sound or the opposite which looses the cut.

Part of me wonders if I should've got an svt 3 pro....

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1461523725' post='3035420']
I've had Ashdown gear before and have never been blown away by it.
[/quote]

Was that all-valve Ashdown like Nate's using? I think it's the all-valve bit that's important, doesn't necessarily have to be Ashdown.

For the clean sound that Nate has on that clip Try the settings I put down earlier, but with Mid Freq at about 2 o`clock, and then adjust the Gain to however much breakup is required - probably 10 o`clockish. That gives the classic Ampeggy SVT type sound (got this from a thread on Talkbass). Too many mids for me, but it does that sound Nate has really nicely like that.