Why become a member? ×

Vintage basses....who needs them?

paulmcnamara

Just thinking lately about bass icons such as Jameson and Jaco and how at their pinnacle they were using Fender basses that were probably no more than 10/12 years old, and yet we seem to put so much emphasis on 'needing' to use or desiring a vintage bass when really these guys show us that its all in the fingers and head?

I remember reading an article about guitarists and speakers, with an apparently well known player looking for that 'vintage hendrix' tone paying a fortune for genuine late 60s Celestions, and a very well thought of engineer pointing out Hendrix wasn't using 40 year old speakers, they'd have been virtually new back then, and there's no way they sound the same 40 years on, so totally pointless.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1461415998' post='3034460']
Just thinking lately about bass icons such as Jameson and Jaco and how at their pinnacle they were using Fender basses that were probably no more than 10/12 years old, and yet we seem to put so much emphasis on 'needing' to use or desiring a vintage bass when really these guys show us that its all in the fingers and head?
[/quote]

It's an interesting question I've asked myself a few times. I've always bought vintage instruments to play and keep based on how well they play, not what they represent..

The early 60s Fenders are generally beautifully made things. I have a 63 precision and it's an incredible bass made to the highest standards. In the 70s quality dipped of course.

My view is there's room for everyone in the bass community...

Edited by Jebo1

I love vintage basses, and have owned a fair few 50's and 60's Fenders. These days I don't have one and I'm not exactly that bothered either tbh. But there was a time in my 20's when I felt like I 'needed' one. It was a phase but I'm glad I went through it.

Since then the ones I've owned have been purely for fun, because I'll never believe they are better than modern ones, just a different vibe, and great when they are good ones. But man there are some pre CBS pigs out there too, I've played a fair few of them. Sometimes certain wood was just meant for tables, not basses ;)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1461417356' post='3034471']
...it has nothing to do with the fact that Jaco, James J, Duck Dunn or whoever played them back in the day.
[/quote]

Plus the one... for me it's about the history, mainly. The fact that vintage basses can also be very playable and sound great is just the icing on the cake. But if you want the feel and the vibe there are now other options available if you can't (or don't want to) invest thousands of pounds.

Edited by discreet

I absolutely detest dings, chips, cracking paint etc whether done by years of use, neglect or intentionally to get a certain look so I couldn't even consider anything vintage.

But that's just the OCD 1, 2, 3, 4 OCD 1, 2, 3, 4 OCD :crazy:

Edited by Delberthot

I went for a drink with a mate of mine who is a violin and cello restorer. Very interesting chap, and we discussed vintage instruments and he is very much of the view that it's unwarranted in many cases. in some cases though, they hype and the price is warranted.

It all depends on the player and the bass. Which is why you should always play the instruments you buy. People aren't doing so with the Internet (I have done it in the past).

Some people of course will hate the vintage market for everything it represents, and there is some merit in that.

I wanted (new, at the time...) Verithins when I was younger. I have them now; we grow old together. Same thing for the amps. An old Hiwatt is still a fine amp, vintage or not. My Camco drums are vintage, now. I bought them brand new over 40 years ago. They're still the best (for me...).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461423289' post='3034529']
It depends on the bass really, there are some superb basses that are now classed as vintage that aren't Fenders.
[/quote]

Why does everything have to revolve round Fenders? You're the first to bring a specific manufacturer of bass into the subject.

Has Fender got a copyright on the word "vintage". If so, what word do we now use for an old instrument?

I'm out of here.

Edited by Grangur

Back in the day, Leo was trying to mass produce instruments, but as there was very little technology much of the process was by hand. So you got some brilliant instruments and probably some dogs started on Friday night and finished on Monday morning ! The good ones survived the rubbish was junked. When the big corps took over quality dived as more of the process was by machine. Modern computer aided construction takes the variations out of production, but may not make great instruments. A good modern made one is as fine and possibly better than a vintage but it's all down to luck, if you find the great old one hang on to it!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461423427' post='3034535']
Why does everything have to revolve round Fenders? You're the first to bring a specific manufacturer of bass into the subject.

Has Fender got a copyright on the word "vintage". If so, what word do we now use for an old instrument?
[/quote]

Quite a few other posts have mentioned Fenders, and a few other makes of different types of gear too.

I'm not quite sure what your point is, you seem to be angry about something.

I have a couple that would be considered vintage and they're nice to have, I have had them a long time and we've grown vintage together.

But I've played brand new versions of both and they are better guitars than my relics to be honest.

Les

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461423735' post='3034541']
Quite a few other posts have mentioned Fenders, and a few other makes of different types of gear too.

I'm not quite sure what your point is, you seem to be angry about something.
[/quote]

Tis true. The word Fender was mentioned in posts 1, 4 and 5 :D

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1461415998' post='3034460']
[/quote]

Indeed - and back in the 70s most of the best bass parts seemed to be played on newish instruments. Back in the 70s I played in a soul band and the Jamaican origin guitarist, a self confessed Hendrix fan, played a daphne blue Strat with a small headstock and non TV style logo - I was deeply suspicious he'd been ripped off with a copy because it wasn't the sort of Strat anyone played then - however it was a 50s guitar ........... these days I'd instantly recognise that.

The point is that these things come into and go out of fashion - I suspect there are a whole lot of reasons other than playability why 'vintage' instruments are so sought after that even knackered examples command decent prices. And despite what anyone protests, unfortunately this does currently afflict Fenders (guitars and basses) and Gibson (guitars mostly) where some command silly prices. Take 80s Fender basses for instance - panned and uncool at the time, yet some are now becoming reveered!

I quite like the idea of owning a vintage bass but every time I explore the idea I have an overwhelming desire to buy a new or newer bass.

I suspect the allure of vintage guitars has as much to do with individual's nostalgia as anything else - retired chaps buying them as some have plenty of spare money and tons of nostalgia for the late 50s/early 60s bands. As a youth of the 70s, will my generation, which is associated far more with 70s instruments, cause the price of 70s stuff to rise in price when it becomes like the Hank Marvin followers of now and the latter are not around - and will the 60s instruments become less popular? Who knows but some of the old basses are very lovely - worth the value of a new Wal? Daylight robbery in my book but that's just me! I'd take a new instrument any day (and remember when the bass is mixed in a recording, who would know whether you've used a £5000 P bass or a £500 one?).

You are right, it's personal opinion and quite a lot of people would agree with your view. Is the price of the vintage hyped - in terms of sound and playability my view is yes.

If you look at it like antiques, the prices go up and down as they are more or less fashionable. Certain types of antiques which were worth a lot 20 yrs ago aren't any longer and vice versa. They're hostage to fashion and the views of different generations towards them - and some of the changes happen when whole generations pass away. Put it this way, it seems entirely possible for vintage instruments to dip and rise in fashion.

Edited by drTStingray

Very true. Mind you, Wals used to be around for £500. I paid next to nothing for them years ago. Nice basses, but heavy and very precise, I found them quite impersonal. Same problem with Warwicks.

I agree the bottom could fall out of the bottom of the market. The funny thing is the vintage instruments I own have all been purchased for less than the cost of modern reissues. That's bonkers.

The problem is people purchasing for investment, not for playability and pleasure. That's why things are getting bonkers.

Edited by Jebo1