Why become a member? ×

Vintage basses....who needs them?

paulmcnamara

I would love a vintage bass, just because of the history and the fact that I'm a bass guitar enthusiast. But I'm happy playing modern versions of those classic designs for the projects I'm involved with.

Really not that much has changed over the last 60 years with regards to bass design.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461434255' post='3034650']

Normally I'd agree, except for 'vintage' Warwicks that is ;)
[/quote]

Imagine the scene: Me at the Royal Albert Hall, venue all sold out. I'm proudly stroking my 1988 Warwick Streamer, we do a line check ready to start and there's some piercing feedback on stage. Look at the Warwick. Look around the stage and realise it must be me. Warwick dispatched to its case, Fender plugged in and gig is played.

That's why I can't trust Warwicks!

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1461437693' post='3034682']
Imagine the scene: Me at the Royal Albert Hall, venue all sold out. I'm proudly stroking my 1988 Warwick Streamer, we do a line check ready to start and there's some piercing feedback on stage. Look at the Warwick. Look around the stage and realise it must be me. Warwick dispatched to its case, Fender plugged in and gig is played.

That's why I can't trust Warwicks!
[/quote]
Pop in a new battery and issue solved.
No, I don't know, guess it could happen to any model.

I couldn't really stop the gig and go and get a battery, so I plugged in a passive Fender. Problem solved, Warwick sold.

Extreme example and certainly nothing to do with the quality of Warwicks, I just won't use them after that. Superstitious nonsense I'm sure.

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1461439407' post='3034697']
I couldn't really stop the gig and go and get a battery, so I plugged in a passive Fender. Problem solved, Warwick sold.

Extreme example and certainly nothing to do with the quality of Warwicks, I just won't use them after that. Superstitious nonsense I'm sure.
[/quote]
I'm kind of the same with the passive active thing, tho I do own 2 actives, one will work even without a battery in it.

[/quote]

I haven't gigged with a passive bass since around 1980 - always carry spare batteries after a problem many years ago.

Good job your spare (vintage?) Fender didn't need a quick truss rod tweek as well eh?

I don't think this thread was intended to morph into a passive v active thread but in response to this, it has to be said that a passive Fender creates a significantly thinner and certainly different sound from your typical Warwick/Wal/Musicman bass - I went to a gig of a famous band whose sound was founded on a Warwick sound - the bass player used a passive vintage Fender - it actually changed the sound of the band (for the worse as far as I was concerned) - love the bass player, one of my favourites - just couldn't hear them properly. I've heard the reverse as well - famous early 70s band - famous player used a (now) vintage Fender in the day - used a Wal and suddenly you could hear the intricacies of their playing.

So swapping to a vintage bass may suit some sartorial/fashion/bassist's current preference imperative - but it can play havoc with the 'band' sound. All dependent on your personal perspective and preference.

Edited by drTStingray

I'm not trying to create conflict. I have no strong feelings on the matter at all...

A great sound engineer, good player and the right amp and setup can get a great sound out of anything. Often the more time people spend tinkering and fiddling the less they spend actually playing.

Whatever people decide to play is cool with me as long as they've got groove and a bit of soul it's all good!

I used to like 70s Fender Precisions, have had 3, all were great. Loved the mojo about them having picked up a bit of wear along the way. But then in one of my fits of madness did a cull, sold them all and have gone for the post 2012 Precisions, having heard a soundclip on here - Spongebobs btw. Bought mine (a 2015) online, when it turned up was a bit concerned as for a while my fretting hand ached a bit, as the neck was a bit deeper than I was used to. Now having got used to it - only took a couple of weeks - I`m so glad I did it. The new Precision is a much better instrument, sounds better, plays better (all imo of course, might not be for others) and any wear that happens is going to be mine. I like it so much I`ve bought another, just for home use. So in my mind I like vintage instruments, and to the eye as well, but if honest, I`ve not yet played a vintage instrument I like as much as my 2015. It`s really changed my opinions on new instruments as was never that keen before, thought them too shiny and soul-less. I was wrong.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461494690' post='3035068']
I assume we're talking USA here, Lozz..?
[/quote]

Yep, US Standard Mark, made in 2015. The ones with the Custom Shop Pickup. Deep chunky neck, deep chunky sound, everything about it says old-school, but it just plays so well and although still just over 9lbs feels so much less cumbersome than older instruments.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461493569' post='3035049']
I used to like 70s Fender Precisions, have had 3, all were great. Loved the mojo about them having picked up a bit of wear along the way. But then in one of my fits of madness did a cull, sold them all and have gone for the post 2012 Precisions, having heard a soundclip on here - Spongebobs btw. Bought mine (a 2015) online, when it turned up was a bit concerned as for a while my fretting hand ached a bit, as the neck was a bit deeper than I was used to. Now having got used to it - only took a couple of weeks - I`m so glad I did it. The new Precision is a much better instrument, sounds better, plays better (all imo of course, might not be for others) and any wear that happens is going to be mine. I like it so much I`ve bought another, just for home use. So in my mind I like vintage instruments, and to the eye as well, but if honest, I`ve not yet played a vintage instrument I like as much as my 2015. It`s really changed my opinions on new instruments as was never that keen before, thought them too shiny and soul-less. I was wrong.
[/quote]

Great post Lozz

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461495799' post='3035083']
Yep, US Standard Mark, made in 2015. The ones with the Custom Shop Pickup. Deep chunky neck, deep chunky sound, everything about it says old-school, but it just plays so well and although still just over 9lbs feels so much less cumbersome than older instruments.
[/quote]

Heh! You're selling it to me, Lozz! :D
Edit: Though I see the board radius is 9.5"... I prefer 7.25" whenever possible... hmm.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1461500670' post='3035145']
The age of a bass is irrelevant to me. Does it sound/feel good? Then it's good. This whole vintage reverence thing to the point of making certain basses fetish objects leaves me cold and bemused.
[/quote]

That's what a fetish is, though - an obsession; or 'an idea or thought that continually preoccupies a person's mind'. I think about vintage Fenders much more often than I need to - in fact, probably more than is mentally healthy - but I'm quite sure there are far worse things to be hung up on. :) And luckily I can't afford to buy one, so it's harmless really. Isn't it..? :huh:

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

"PPPPPP", as they say: Poor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. You should sack your Guitar Tech! :D

TBH, I'm sure that's why a lot of live gigs are done using Fenders - cheap passive bass that is serviceable and cheap to replace (in relative terms).

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461501479' post='3035155']
"PPPPPP", as they say: Poor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. You should sack your Guitar Tech! :D
[/quote]

I think you mean, 'Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance'.
I'm pretty sure that Poor Preparation is going to lead to Piss Poor Performance, whatever else happens. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461500906' post='3035148']
That's what a fetish is, though - an obsession; or 'an idea or thought that continually preoccupies a person's mind'. I think about vintage Fenders much more often than I need to - in fact, probably more than is mentally healthy - but I'm quite sure there are far worse things to be hung up on. :) And luckily I can't afford to buy one, so it's harmless really. Isn't it..? :huh:
[/quote]

I don't recall passing judgement on any individual who chooses to go down this path, I merely expressed a personal opinion of the path itself. You can go down any rabbit hole you choose ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1461501645' post='3035158']
I don't recall passing judgement on any individual who chooses to go down this path, I merely expressed a personal opinion of the path itself. You can go down any rabbit hole you choose ;)
[/quote]

Oh I know - I just wanted everyone to know I'm a pervert. But I think they probably knew that already. :crazy:

Edited by discreet

Bass was fine then it wasn't. Not worth getting angry over (that's my mindfullness coming out!).

Went to a 66' Jazz bass which worked out just fine. It could have happened to anyone. I'm a simple man, so simple guitars work just fine :-)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461501479' post='3035155']

TBH, I'm sure that's why a lot of live gigs are done using Fenders - cheap passive bass that is serviceable and cheap to replace (in relative terms).
[/quote]