Why become a member? ×

Geeky history of solid state amps question.

Twincam

I really Trace amps. I've not played one that I dislike and my old one that I (unfortunately) sold on here never missed a beat once they sent me some different fuses. Never ONCE cut out or played up in about 10-12 years of use.

Solid state amps have a place in my playing history and always will. The one reason I really like my Genz SMax 9.2 is that it is basically a smaller/lighter version of my old Trace amp when it comes to tone in the FET channel.

Cool topic.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1461750127' post='3037272']
I really Trace amps. I've not played one that I dislike and my old one that I (unfortunately) sold on here never missed a beat once they sent me some different fuses. Never ONCE cut out or played up in about 10-12 years of use.

Solid state amps have a place in my playing history and always will. The one reason I really like my Genz SMax 9.2 is that it is basically a smaller/lighter version of my old Trace amp when it comes to tone in the FET channel.

Cool topic.
[/quote]

I like and hate Trace amps at the same time. They are tough and loud! Probably one of the loudest amps I've heard watt for watt other than valve. But not keen on the tone.

Anyhow I still think it would be cool to have an early transistor amp maybe not the first generation.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1461757254' post='3037341']
Anyone know which popular Class D amps use which modules?

Someone posted a list of which cabs use which drivers the other day and it was really interesting to see who uses what.
[/quote]

Don't take this as gospel, but as far as I can gather, virtually everyone uses the B&O modules except TC Electronics and Markbass, who have their own. Barefaced are using the highly respected Hypex module in their active speaker, which is quite an interesting move.

As posted on a different thread, even with the same module, the PSU circuit can influence performance and is a key part of a class D amplifier. The PSU is seldom standard or modular.

I don't know if the early class D products had a learning curve for PSU deign performance, wouldn't suprise me. Wouldn't suprise me either if not all current class D amps are the same as to PSU performance !

LD

interesting read this, i've been wondering what the differences are for each type of amp, class A, B, and D, call me stupid but i have no clue. I have an older amp which i assume is class A or B and i have a new amp and due to its small size i assume its class D but what the difference? :blink:
oh and while im on stupid questions why no Class C?

Edited by lowhand_mike

The class relates to how the device is biased which in turn dictates to it's performance wrt efficiency and distortion.

Class A is always on and the least efficient.
Class B is biased on for 1/2 the duty cycle and more efficient.
Class C is biased on for less than 1/2 the cycle and used in radio frequency amplifiers.
Class D is pulse width modulated i.e. is switched on and off under the control of the input waveform.

Class D can give >90% efficiencies so power consumption and weight/size are considerably reduced.

And can I say I enjoy the benefits of my TCE BG250-208 I lift it with ease, (getting old)!

It's generally a switch mode PSU which allows the amp to be small and light, which could be applied to any class of amp I suppose.

But it lends itself to Class D because overall there isn't then much heat to get rid of, so amp case can be small and the overall amp light.

In class D the PSU still has to stand and deliver significant current to the load, at significant slew rates - it also has to be able to sink current returned by the load. Really it is as important in Class D as any other class, the PSU. Has some different constraints as well !
LD

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1461831004' post='3037915']

Don't take this as gospel, but as far as I can gather, virtually everyone uses the B&O modules except TC Electronics and Markbass, who have their own. Barefaced are using the highly respected Hypex module in their active speaker, which is quite an interesting move.
[/quote]

Just to add to this, the Glockenklang I have uses a 1000w Abletec module

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1461831004' post='3037915']
Don't take this as gospel, but as far as I can gather, virtually everyone uses the B&O modules except TC Electronics and Markbass, who have their own. Barefaced are using the highly respected Hypex module in their active speaker, which is quite an interesting move.[/quote]

Some other non-ICEpower implementations:

Peavey
Carvin
Hevos
Trickfish
Jule Amps
Tec Amp (earlier versions)
Ibanez

And then of course there are many different ICE modules, and not all the usual suspects use the most common ASX2 series ones.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1461919269' post='3038680']
It's generally a switch mode PSU which allows the amp to be small and light, which could be applied to any class of amp I suppose.

But it lends itself to Class D because overall there isn't then much heat to get rid of, so amp case can be small and the overall amp light.

In class D the PSU still has to stand and deliver significant current to the load, at significant slew rates - it also has to be able to sink current returned by the load. Really it is as important in Class D as any other class, the PSU. Has some different constraints as well !
LD
[/quote]That's my thinking too I think that there are a few amps out there with under specced PSU's which are probably more responsible than the amp for the lack of h**t.