Why become a member? ×

Rack tray attachment screw size

NoirBass

Does anyone know where I can find, or what size screw to buy to to attach my Boss 1/2u units to a rack tray.

I managed to get hold of a RAD-50, but it has no screws.

The threaded mount is the recessed one in the bottom of the Boss unit:

[attachment=217753:Boss Screw.jpg]

Edited by NoirBass

is there not something stamped into the unit next to the hole? I've seen the screw spec stamped into some units.

Assuming that this is a Japanese Unit I'd expect it to be a Metric screw, measure the diameter of the hole and round up to the nearest millimetre, (i'd expect it to be 4mm or so), then just pick up a selection of (M4) screws, shine a light into the hole and see how deep it can go, or use a cocktail stick to judge how far the screw can go before it hits something, then fit a slightly shorter screw so it doesn't short on something inside.

Edited by Matt P

HI Matt ,thanks for your reply.

I have an old Alesis unit that uses a similar system and it does have the screw size stamped into the case, so good call there.

The Boss units I have don't have anything stamped into the chasis. On measuring it, it appears to be 2mm in diameter.

Good advice on finding the length too.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461579437' post='3035746']
IIRC the screw length is fairly short - as the indent in the rack tray plays a large part in holding the unit in place.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Having measured with a cocktail stick as suggested, the hole goes right thorough to the other side of the case, suggesting there is also a hole in the main pcb.

That said, I think 10mm would be more than enough.

I'm assuming something like this will work:

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/m2x10-pan-pozi-machine-screw-mild-steel-bright-zinc-plated-din-7985?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwgPe4BRCB66GG8PO69QkSJAC4EhHhRMIeZwuFikz8HogWlMG0Tfe2h2Ug1eXpYTkIB0pn9xoCcWjw_wcB

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1461580033' post='3035755']
Agreed,

Having measured with a cocktail stick as suggested, the hole goes right thorough to the other side of the case, suggesting there is also a hole in the main pcb.

That said, I think 10mm would be more than enough.

I'm assuming something like this will work:

[url="https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/m2x10-pan-pozi-machine-screw-mild-steel-bright-zinc-plated-din-7985?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwgPe4BRCB66GG8PO69QkSJAC4EhHhRMIeZwuFikz8HogWlMG0Tfe2h2Ug1eXpYTkIB0pn9xoCcWjw_wcB"]https://www.orbitalf...0pn9xoCcWjw_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

I'd open the rack unit up and double check before securing it with a screw that long. When I said fairly short I meant 5mm max.

I sold the last of my Boss half-rack gear a while back, but IIRC the screws required to hold them in place in the rack tray were short and stubby with an fairly wide head - not a standard looking screw.

Might be worth getting in touch with [url=http://www.roland.co.uk/support/repairs_spares/]Roland UK[/url].

somehow I didn't get notifications from this thread, M3x8 pan head screws will probably be about right, it might be worth picking up a small selection box of m3 and m4 nuts and bolts, a washer between the screw had and the tray is a good idea too.

Matt

After some delving around on the internet for a while, I discovered that the Roland TD-5 uses a couple of M3x6 screws to attach to a RAD-50.

I have ordered some and a few washers.

We'll find out in a couple of days if it's the correct size.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1461765430' post='3037418']
After some delving around on the internet for a while, I discovered that the Roland TD-5 uses a couple of M3x6 screws to attach to a RAD-50.

I have ordered some and a few washers.

We'll find out in a couple of days if it's the correct size.
[/quote]

Nope, these are not the ones either.

M4x8 are the final ones I'm going to buy and then it's just getting gaffered to the tray! :D

Edited by NoirBass

I've got one of those for my VF-1... it's currently out at a mate's studio and I won't be over there again until next week.

I might just have the second screw that came with the rack tray tucked away in the VF1 box though, which is at home somewhere.

I'll have a look when I get home

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1461854969' post='3038258']
I've got one of those for my VF-1... it's currently out at a mate's studio and I won't be over there again until next week.

I might just have the second screw that came with the rack tray tucked away in the VF1 box though, which is at home somewhere.

I'll have a look when I get home
[/quote]

Thank you, a very kind offer. I have plenty of the correct size now though.😄

Edited by NoirBass