Why become a member? ×

Thinking of relicing my mayones bass

kevvo66

It's your bass, do whatever you like with it :)

I always thought the relic thing was to give the impression of an older, naturally road worn instrument. To the best of my knowledge Mayones basses haven't been around long enough for any of the wear and tear associated with years of gigging to be apparent?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-9403-2-4-belt-sander-240v/73893

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dremel-8200-20-10-8v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-rotary-multi-tool/6407G?kpid=6407G&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools&gclid=CjwKEAjwxoG5BRCC7ezlzNmR8HUSJAAre36jFk-F9lh0BW9m3tiLGLmTcmzJbUfsEgcbcYwv4B8CdxoCNafw_wcB

:rolleyes:

Follow these simple steps to accelerate your bass's ageing process with hardly any effort:

(1) Make yourself some sleeves out of sandpaper.
(2) Fix a small lump of concrete to your belt buckle with grip-fill.
(3) Wear them whenever you play your bass.
(4) Round up all the old keys from around your house and chuck them in your bass case or gig-bag

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1461790133' post='3037745']
Follow these simple steps to accelerate your bass's ageing process with hardly any effort:

(1) Make yourself some sleeves out of sandpaper.
(2) Fix a small lump of concrete to your belt buckle with grip-fill.
(3) Wear them whenever you play your bass.
(4) Round up all the old keys from around your house and chuck them in your bass case or gig-bag
[/quote]

😂 Brilliant. Reminded me of my martial arts days, where guys would take sandpaper to their black belts to make it look like they had been training longer than they had! It was part of a status and image thing... I wonder if that's subconsciously part of the appeal of reliced basses?
I do like that Sandberg though! And and I am growing increasingly fond of reliced finishes: although mainly on more traditional painted jazz and precision body styles.

Edited by Musashimonkey