Why become a member? ×

Blackstar Fly 3 Bass model

fretmeister

I've played through the guitar version and it makes a lot of noise for something the size of a lunchbox. Nice little bit of kit.

I'd like to see what Blackstar could do with a proper bass amp. Their guitar amps are rather good and well respected. With the sad demise of Trace, and Marshall not making bass gear anymore, there's a gap in the market for them... maybe this is them testing the water.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at one of these to use as a portable solution with my UkeBass. I've got the Vox Rythm Bass but it can't cope with the low end of the Uke. It's fine with electric bass though. If the Blacksatr is better in the big lows i'll be selling the Vox and getting one of these.

Looking forward for any reviews of BCers using it.

I tried one of these at the weekend (as well as a B Social, but that's another thread). It was pretty good for the size but was a bit plasticky. you can connect it to an 'extension' for another £25 or so. I was comparing it against my Yamaha THR which is a bit unfair really given the cost difference and I would definitely stick with my THR, but at £50 it's pretty good value!

You can of course call them what you like, I'm sure you're not being homophobic & we all like to have a laugh at the expense of guitarists but the negative implication is there, regardless of the intentions. On a generally open forum I [i]personally[/i] don't find the phrase particularly inclusive & so have pointed it out.

Back on topic; I'm sure the little combo will be fine for super quiet practicing at home but I wouldn't be expecting wonders. But if we're going down the tiny combo route; how long are we going to have to wait for Barefaced to put a class-D amp inside a One10?

The "negative implication" is there for you. It's not for me.
And to re-iterate my original on topic point, neither of there Blackstar's have been the height of reliabilty.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1462533084' post='3043809']
I tried one of these at the weekend (as well as a B Social, but that's another thread). It was pretty good for the size but was a bit plasticky. you can connect it to an 'extension' for another £25 or so. I was comparing it against my Yamaha THR which is a bit unfair really given the cost difference and I would definitely stick with my THR, but at £50 it's pretty good value!
[/quote]

Are you using the THR with bass? If so wich is the model and how do you rate it? I was under the impression that the THR are guitar amps.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1461583845' post='3035802']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRe-ARB_JIA

Looks like a great little thing. The guitar version is very good.
[/quote]

I'm sceptical about these little amps.I don't think it sounds clean when playing finger style hard.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1462617290' post='3044375']
I'm sceptical about these little amps.I don't think it sounds clean when playing finger style hard.
[/quote]
Sceptical - or unrealistic expectations? For the money and form-factor it looks like an attractive option for apartment or travel use (practicing, not gigging obviously).

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1462620093' post='3044418']

Sceptical - or unrealistic expectations? For the money and form-factor it looks like an attractive option for apartment or travel use (practicing, not gigging obviously).
[/quote]
He plays with pick hence the sound is clean.I doubt it woukd sound clean if I dag my fingers into the strings.

A very good friend of mine and ex band mate was chief designer at Blackstar for a few years, and we spoke a few times about why they didn't expand the the range into bass amps, or even a decent valve preamp pedal, but he said they just wouldn't find a slot in the market as known solely as a guitar amp company....so quite suprised they've dipped their toe in the bass water, even with this odd practice thing.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1462964477' post='3047295']
Erm, yes, me, as per post number 6 on this thread...
[/quote]

Would you say it would cope with the low end of a Uke Bass at a volume enough to keep up with an acoustic guitar without farting? The Vox AC1 RB i have cannot, it's fine with a passive electric bass but the Uke gives it too much low end and the speakers fart at low volumes.