Why become a member? ×

New amp advice

Bass Fumbler

I'm currently pondering whether to change my amp head.
I currently use a Gallien Kreuger MB200 head into a Gallien Kreuger 210MBX cab and a Fender Rumble 112V3 cab.
The GK 210MBX is rated at 200 watts at 8 ohm and the Rumble is 500 watts program and 250 watt continuous at 8 ohm.
I haven't looked at any specific amps, my thoughts are that I want one with a pre-amp to get a bit more grit.
My question is what would be the ideal wattage amp? I'm not looking to get more volume as I find that I rarely go above 9 0'clock.
I play in a four piece band of two guitarist's a drummer and me.

Edited by Bass Fumbler

You could just put a pre-amp pedal in front of your current amp if you're happy with everything else it does - Dave Hall, Sansamp, Behringer etc all do good grit-adding pedals.

Hard to say on paper what power of amp would be best - tube, solid-state, class-D would all be different answers.

If you`re happy with the sound of the amp, why not get a preamp/DI pedal to get your grit? I know what you mean re the GK MB amps, they have their own growl, but it`s not like regular gain/drive. There are some very good preamp/DI pedals on the market at the moment, many of which haev gain/drive on them.

Edit - beaten to it by Lw

Edited by Lozz196