Why become a member? ×

New band 1st gig Fri. Scary !!!!

dmccombe7

Auditioned for a T.Rex tribute / Glam Rock band that do a tribute set and a seperate mixed Glam set depending on the gig.
Passed the audition with flying colours 3 weeks ago (6 bass players selected for the audition)
Scary part is that i had 34 songs to learn from scratch and the planned rehearsals with the band last week had to be cancelled when singer / guitarists dad sadly passed away.
Without meaning to sound harsh it means i go into the 1st gig on Fri night and the 2nd on Sat night less than 4 weeks after the audition.
I've only met the band at the audition altho I'm pretty confident as i know majority of the songs from my younger days which made learning the bass parts a lot easier.
All a bit nerve racking and must be the scariest gig i've ever had to play.
Normally i would have a minimum of 3 or 4 up to maybe 10 or 12 rehearsals with a band before gigging.

Anyway here's hoping.

Dave

Looking confident is half the battle, even if you're not.
If you can have the set list in advance, maybe just right the key centers of each song next to them, so if you do get lost you can hopefully find your way back with a quick glance at it.
Good luck!! Let us know how you get off

Cheers Simon
sound check with this band will be short. They set up in 30mins and stated they wanted to keep it that way. They've been together for 8-10yrs doing this material but not all bad as the fact they know it inside out they said they can usually cover most things and get around any slight mistakes by covering up.
They've gone thru 15-17 bass players in 10 yrs does make you wonder why. They all seem like nice enough guys and friends that know them said they are all spot on guys.

Loking forward to it even tho its scary.
They cover everyone from Bowie, T.Rex, Sweet, Cockney Rebel, Roxy Music, ELO with a few other old classics thrown in to the mix.

Dave

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1461676913' post='3036651'] Looking confident is half the battle, even if you're not. If you can have the set list in advance, maybe just right the key centers of each song next to them, so if you do get lost you can hopefully find your way back with a quick glance at it. Good luck!! Let us know how you get off [/quote]

Yep got set list and usually have some sort of crib notes nearby just in case. At the stage where i can play thru the set without notes but nerves can sometimes throw you a wobbler LOL
Thanks for the advice

Dave

If they were worried then they would have approached this gig differently.

Treat it as another dep gig where you meet the band at the gig... plus you've had 3 weeks to learn the numbers.
It'll be fine... or you'll find out why they've got thru so many bass players :lol: :lol:

As soon as you get past the first bar you'll be fine. Just butch it out and if you make a mistake frown at the guitarist. Look on the first gig as a rehearsal for the second and concentrate on enjoying yourself, that's what you're doing it for. Isn't it? :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1461696495' post='3036918']
Sounds like a great fun gig, though I can see why you're a bit nervous. My first band used to do 20th Century Boy. It was a terrible band, but I'd love to play that song again

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
[/quote]

I'll probably be playing it at a dep gig on Friday. If you pop along you can do it and I'll have a pee break ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1461702163' post='3036983']

I'll probably be playing it at a dep gig on Friday. If you pop along you can do it and I'll have a pee break ;)
[/quote]

I'd be tempted to take you up on that, but Friday is the Beggars Banquet gig at Tower of Song! :-)

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1461702579' post='3036989']
How can a man about to go on stage wearing satin flares fear anything ? :)
[/quote]

How can a man about to go on stage wearing satin flares 'butch it out'?

Hope it goes well for you Dave.

How can a man go on stage wearing satin flares? :D

Sounds like great fun. One of my old bands morphed into a glam band, the singer complained we weren't getting enough gigs so we went down the glam route, booked a load of gigs and the singer then walked out because it was too big a commitment.

Have fun :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461678875' post='3036669'] Just focus on the look ... loons and glitter, platform boots, no spandex ... the music will take care of itself. :) [/quote] [quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461690394' post='3036847'] This. I trust you will be dressing appropriately? [/quote]

Singer / guitarist offered some gear to wear but i did actually buy some gear just for this band. No spandex or platform boots tho. Singer guitarist is spitting image Marc Bolan which helps.

Dave

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1461702579' post='3036989'] How can a man about to go on stage wearing satin flares fear anything ? :) [/quote] [quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1461707878' post='3037084'] How can a man about to go on stage wearing satin flares 'butch it out'? Hope it goes well for you Dave. [/quote]

PMSL those comments nearly brought a tear to my eye and not because of the tight satin flares either. Brilliant thanks guys.

Dave

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1461761930' post='3037385'] Where's the gig dave? [/quote]

1st gig is in Nairn on Fri and then Sat night in Dornoch both Holiday Parks. The band have played them before and said the audiences in Holiday parks are easy to play for and always up for a laugh. Compared to a pub gig in Glasgow where you get the note perfect guys who like to point out you missed a note somewhere.
Managed a set run thru last night with singer guitarist and keys player (no drums) and both were very relaxed and said good things about how i played them and by far the best versions they have heard. Good job we ran thru them tho as they had neglected to mention a few of their key changes that i'll have to finish off today.

All good tho and feeling a bit more relaxed about it now. That's 1st time i've met any of them since the audition but very pleased so far.
Dave

That's a fair trek for your first gig! We have to go to Dingwall now and again and it's a bugger getting across from Forth. (especially with the A706 being closed at Breich. We ought to see if there's any other bassist withing 10 miles or so and have a mini bass bash. There's some instruments in your sig that I'd quite like to see.

Come on Dave, we're all awaiting a match report, you satin wearing demi-god you. :)

I'm particularly interested in the amount of security required to hold women back from storming the dressing room.