Why become a member? ×

New band 1st gig Fri. Scary !!!!

dmccombe7

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1461828978' post='3037890']
That's a fair trek for your first gig! We have to go to Dingwall now and again and it's a bugger getting across from Forth. (especially with the A706 being closed at Breich. We ought to see if there's any other bassist withing 10 miles or so and have a mini bass bash. There's some instruments in your sig that I'd quite like to see.
[/quote]

Any time you want to try Jacko let me know and i'll try and make one of your gigs with bass of your choice. :)
I wasn't aware Breich was closed altogether and bit of a pain right enough. It turned out the type of gigs were probably a good choice as i had no band rehearsals. Few mistakes but no-one noticed not even my wife who was out front. Some of the band noticed odd little things that i managed to cover up tho.
Singer has a bad habit of ignoring the set list and just randomly playing songs from it. Its really his band but when he doesn't announce the song and i've only been learning them for 3 weeks it meant i missed the start of one song and had to basically jam to beginning of Steelers Wheel until i realised what it was he was playing and that has a catchy bass riff too that i like. Think that was the worst blooper. Rest were missing a riff to end an occasional song the way bands do but didn't know how they ended them so had to more or less just ad-lib on root note to until final chord. Pretty simple and not really mistakes as such.

Some photos as requested.

[attachment=218320:DSCN0722.JPG][attachment=218319:Hot Love #3.JPG][attachment=218318:Hot Love #5.JPG]

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1461828978' post='3037890']
That's a fair trek for your first gig! We have to go to Dingwall now and again and it's a bugger getting across from Forth. (especially with the A706 being closed at Breich. We ought to see if there's any other bassist withing 10 miles or so and have a mini bass bash. There's some instruments in your sig that I'd quite like to see.
[/quote]

There are a few local bassists on here Jacko. I know there's a guy from Motherwell and someone from Carluke if i remeber right.
Dave

[quote name='Old Newbie' timestamp='1462123101' post='3040451'] Well done for winning the audition. Hope the gigs went well. Did you enjoy yourself, or was it an 'ordeal by satin'? :blink: [/quote]

It was a bit nerve racking on the first night but 2nd night was much more enjoyable. Never played a Holiday Park before so that was kinda weird having kids in the audience at the start.
Def good fun especially as the night progressed. 1st nights crowd ended up on tables and that caused someone to be asked to leave the hall. Didn't actually see it myself but other than that all good fun and can now relax a bit with the songs and the band. The guys in the band are all seasoned players in pubs, clubs and holiday parks and put me at ease and covered any minor things i might have missed.
Dave

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1462137644' post='3040608'] Ah, the mighty Hot Love. My Quo trib band played a double bill with them a couple few weeks ago and they came across as some of the nicest , ego free, helpful musicians we've met. You've joined a fine band Dave. [/quote]

Ha Ha small world NoRhino they were talking about that gig. They all enjoyed it and raved about what a great night it was.
Agree i've never met a group of musicians before without attitude and all very easy to get along with.
Enjoyed the gigs over the weekend but have to admit to being pretty nervous about it having never rehearsed with the band before gigging.
I'm pretty chuffed i managed to get the job tho.

I'll pass on your message to the guys.

Dave

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1462194914' post='3040956'] http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2016/post-12709-0-84872500-1462134300.jpg Needs moar flares!! [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too much flaring can cause confusion amongst the male fraternity. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Think i found out why thru so many bassists. After learning 34 songs in 3 weeks and without a band rehearsal did the 2 gigs and then asked to learn their T.rex set in 10 days for 2 gigs at weekend.
As much as i liked the guys in the band and they are all really nice guys i'm afraid it was just a bit too much for me and had to step out of it.
Shame as i was looking forward to their T.Rex set the most but i was literally living in my small music room learning songs for 3 weeks solid morning, noon and evening incl weekends and to then do it again with another 15-20 songs in 10 days just too much.
Back to looking for something a little less stressful.
I'm only doing it for enjoyment and not money so a little compromise is required i think.

Dave