Why become a member? ×

Repainting advice, anyone in Wales / South West?

Kex

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1461771335' post='3037505']
There is a new type of paint been used on cars. It's made from liquid vinyl (DIP Wrap). Easy to apply and easier to remove. I can't explain with my english vocabulary so i'll leave you with a video:

[url="https://youtu.be/dO1IteHIYiI"]https://youtu.be/dO1IteHIYiI[/url]

You won't need to sand the bass and before you want to sell it you can remove the vivyl pulling it out.

Atention: i don't know how well this paint works on a bass, with the constant contact with the bass player's body (its suposed to be very strong and hard wearing on cars). Somebody willing to try it please let us know how it worked out.

Cheers
[/quote]

Someone mentioned this to me recently. First time I've seen that video though
I'm guessing you'd need to separate the body, and remove the electrics first
I'd also be tempted to mask the back edge of the body, and not spray that, as the paint itself looks like it could be scratched by belt buckles etc
Might also cause a reaction with some peoples skin - so a word of caution there

Very interesting though - thanks for posting

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461771605' post='3037515']
Quick update, spoke to [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Dave Dearnaley, he could not have been more helpful, but he only works in Nitro so while his estimate was reasonable (very in fact) he wanted the bass for 8 weeks at least, so for now that not viable, may simply sell it and buy one in a colour i actually want. But Dave would be my first choice based on his thoughtfull advice should anything change. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Yes, he really is a top notch luthier, but he's a smashing guy with it too
Could you get a cheapish bass, or even borrow one, while yours was with him?
Might be cheaper than changing such an expensive bass?
You could also re-sell the cheapy when you've done with it.... worth a thought?

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461771753' post='3037517']
DIP wrap - Ghost_Bass I honestly think wallpaper would be preferable (and that was a joke) - but thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated :happy:
[/quote]

Wallpaper will be hard to treat around the edges, it's more work and will never look perfect. Here is another video (just found them today when looking for that car video i first posted) where you can see how easy it is to peel off the paint and respray it again:

https://youtu.be/gA-3Ltoe8zA

For me this is the best "reversible" option to do this job without damaging retail value on a bass. It has a problem and it's with the necks, if they need to be refinished i don't know if this stuff will let you slide through the neck very easily, i'm guessing not!

An Alembic really needs a pro job - not quick or cheap. You can take the electronics apart easily (they use push on connectors) and all the hardware, but be careful with the pickup casings ( there are two screws underneath to set height, and two more to lock the pickup in place - easy to over tighten and break the casing)

I'd be talking to JD or Tom Waghorn..

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1461779657' post='3037620']
An Alembic really needs a pro job - not quick or cheap. You can take the electronics apart easily (they use push on connectors) and all the hardware, but be careful with the pickup casings ( there are two screws underneath to set height, and two more to lock the pickup in place - easy to over tighten and break the casing)

I'd be talking to JD or Tom Waghorn..
[/quote]

Or the Sims Custom Shop.

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461771753' post='3037517']
DIP wrap - Ghost_Bass I honestly think wallpaper would be preferable (and that was a joke) - but thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated :happy:
[/quote]

Wall paper seems by far the best choice to me. How DARE you paint that bass!!

I've just seen it on t'bay and t'would be a crime!

Actually, masking the heel of the neck and getting a good smooth blended line from paint to lacquer could be a challenge. I've sprayed enough to fool myself that I know what I'm doing, but I wouldn't try a rattle can job on that.

What could be effective if you must, is strip it and stain the body, then finish it with lacquer. Andy of this parish is really good at that. He uses ink for the colour. Try contacting him.