Why become a member? ×

Repainting advice, anyone in Wales / South West?

Kex

I have a really really nice Alembic Essence but I simply don't like the colour (natural flame maple) am in the process of adverting it on 'a well known auction site' as they say on TV, but in reality if i could only get it repainted in black I would keep it for ever. I am based in the south west between Cardiff and Bristol but can not find anyone locally willing to help. Did speak to a person in the Forest of Dean but she wanted me to strip off the hardware and electrics, and even if i could do that ( I cant) she could not look at it until October (boy am I in the wrong business) .

So, any recommendations / advice welcome, as it is the auction ends Sunday so really need to make my mind up before then, as even if I get a half reasonable price (which does not look likely) I would not have enough to then buy another in black - catch 22 !

you could give Guitar Angel a call:
[url="http://www.guitarangel.co.uk/luthierservicesDetail.php?Refinishing-3"]http://www.guitarang...p?Refinishing-3[/url]

They're based in the Lydney area.

I'm taking my Aria SB Elite to a luthier in Abergavenny tomorrow for restoration work.
[url="http://www.richardmeyrickguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.richardme...kguitars.co.uk/[/url]
But he sends his acoustics to someone in Essex to get sprayed.

Route Guitars in Blackwood might be able to do it:
[url="http://www.routeguitarworks.co.uk/"]http://www.routeguitarworks.co.uk/[/url]

I've not decided where is refinishing my SB Elite yet.

EDIT: Actually, I'm guessing you spoke to Guitar Angel...

Edited by bartelby

Thanks for that, yes was Guitar Angle i spoke to, nice lady but not really a one stop shop so to speak, also surprising expensive (£450) given its relatively simple finish, will try the other two now and see how i get on - thanks again :-)

Update, bloke in Abergavenny said he tried not to get involved as he can never charge what it takes in time (least thats honest) and people in Blackwood not answering phone so will try again later

Edited by Kex

Richard estimated to refinish my SB Elite would be around £300.

Bear in mind Sims Guitars costs:
Set neck & Through neck (Clear+Polish) = £385.00
Add colour to body = £40.00
Add colour to set neck = £50.00

Add headstock colour match = £25.00

Apply customer logo = £15.00

Strip body (if necessary) = £100.00
Strip set neck (if necessary) = £165.00

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461680597' post='3036682']
Update, bloke in Abergavenny said he tried not to get involved as he can never charge what it takes in time (least thats honest)
[/quote]

Yeah, that's why he sends his own guitars to someone else for all the finishing work.

Even though he advertises refinishing on his website

Edited by bartelby

I can feel a trip to B&Q coming on (believe it or not I have done that once before to an old 1976 PB, took no time to strip paint off with Nitromores, some sealer and a can of car paint and was perfect.
I was 17 at the time and the bass cost me £170 then, I am weeping as I type.......

This might be controversial but I think it might be easier and cheaper to just convince yourself that what colour it is doesn't really matter!
I'm not particularly keen on the colour of my Mike Lull and wouldn't have picked it myself but it plays/sounds ace, so I put up with it :P

There is no reason why you cannot do it yourself, I assume the current finish is in nice order, if so it is a case of roughing up the areas to be painted, carefully masking the areas you don't want painting, prime it, paint it, polish it, job done, I would also suggest going for Nitro Cellulose cans from Northwest Guitar Parts, I have used their paint for my last 3 paint jobs and have achieved results way beyond what I would have expected from a can and better than most of the jobs I see on the cars returned to me by customers who have had repairs done at "top" insurance approved repairers....

My only concern is that if you paint your Alembic you will probably destroy a lot of the value in it irrespective of who does the work and to what standard.

Roger2611, spooky as I was thinking more of less the same, found out that the finish is a polyurethane finish, very hard but also hard to sand, however seems with a heat gun it simply peals off (loads of stuff on youtube). I have refinished quite a few (expensive) shotgun stocks using stain and oil, so was thinking that might work. As regards value, given replacement cost is in the region of £6k by the time its landed in the uk YET I have so far never seen one sell for over a third of that, I cant see how I could make it worse, in fact if I get it right I cant see myself wanting to sell it.

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461677774' post='3036659']
...but she wanted me to strip off the hardware and electrics, and even if i could do that ( I can't)...
[/quote]

Just out of interest why can't you do this? IME it's the easiest bit of refinishing a bass.

Quite simply I can not see how the pickups are fitted, no back plate so assume wiring is though the wood, and on that basis I also assume i would have to desolder stuff. With stuff like Fender its a simple matter of removing front plate etc etc - i may will be wrong but the only way for me to find out is to undo everything and potentially mess it up !

Edited by Kex

I can't believe that you're even contemplating a DIY spray-can refinish a} without stripping the parts first and b} on an Alembic of all things. But each to their own, it's your bass and your decision. If you go for it, I really hope it works out for you.

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461764208' post='3037402']
Currently leaning towards Anaglypta Wallpaper
[/quote]

:)

Kex, have you asked whether Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff will do a refinish?
Dave is an absolute top luthier. He's worked on several instruments of mine, and of pals over the years, and is brilliant
He also makes custom built acoustic instruments of the very highest quality
Might be worth giving him a call -

Best of luck

Thanks Marc, hes nt been suggested yet and Cardiff is no distance from me so will give him a call later, much appreciated as to be honest have decided not to go the DIY route and anyhow, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anaglypta is so 1970's [/font][/color]

There is a new type of paint been used on cars. It's made from liquid vinyl (DIP Wrap). Easy to apply and easier to remove. I can't explain with my english vocabulary so i'll leave you with a video:

[url="https://youtu.be/dO1IteHIYiI"]https://youtu.be/dO1IteHIYiI[/url]

You won't need to sand the bass and before you want to sell it you can remove the vivyl pulling it out.

Atention: i don't know how well this paint works on a bass, with the constant contact with the bass player's body (its suposed to be very strong and hard wearing on cars). Somebody willing to try it please let us know how it worked out.

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1461771138' post='3037501']
......have decided not to go the DIY route and anyhow, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anaglypta is so 1970's [/font][/color]
[/quote]

No, you're thinking of woodchip :)

Quick update, spoke to [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Dave Dearnaley, he could not have been more helpful, but he only works in Nitro so while his estimate was reasonable (very in fact) he wanted the bass for 8 weeks at least, so for now that not viable, may simply sell it and buy one in a colour i actually want. But Dave would be my first choice based on his thoughtfull advice should anything change. [/color][/font]