Why become a member? ×

Thinking of removing pre amp

Twincam

I really don't use my john east pre as in passive it sounds the same as the flat eq. And it has a passive tone control which I use. I tend to use the amp eq for adjustments.
I think the nordstrand big singles sound nice passive.
I also find the pre injects a slight amount of noise.

My thoughts are remove the pre and go Vol, tone, tone, blend. Right now it's vol/blend, treble/bass, mid/sweep, passive tone. And two switches active passive and a mute switch.

I'm concerned about the impact on the value of the bass and it will leave a redundant 18v battery box on the back. Also the passive, active switch would need to be maybe a pickup selector might be useful though, set the blend then have access to three different tones via the switch.

Thoughts?

I took the East pre out of my Overwater J5 - bought used - and frankly don't think about the impact on value. I already knew that bass is a very long term keeper!
If you're likely to shift the bass on in a while, but don't enjoy the pre, take it out but keep it on one side for selling day.
If the bass is a keeper, sell the pre and buy a few sets of strings! ;-)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1461688511' post='3036804']
I took the East pre out of my Overwater J5 - bought used - and frankly don't think about the impact on value. I already knew that bass is a very long term keeper!
If you're likely to shift the bass on in a while, but don't enjoy the pre, take it out but keep it on one side for selling day.
If the bass is a keeper, sell the pre and buy a few sets of strings! ;-)
[/quote]

Well I think it's a keeper and selling the pre amp I guess would indeed let me stock up on strings or get a new luthery related tool.

If you are worried about the value of the bass, I'd get a whole different passive harness and keep the original preamp wiring intact.
This way you could easily wire it back to its original condition.

This being said, I only play passive basses nowadays. Even a bass having a preamp sounds differently in passive bypass mode than when being strictly passive....

I've come to the thinking that if Warwick made a passive P-bass style, that would be my ideal bass. So, I'm thinking of taking the pre out of my Streamer Stage 1 and fitting different pups. I'll be keeping the original parts though, so I can put them back when the time comes to sell..

Here's a solution.
If you use a passive blend, there is likely to be an overall volume drop as you blend one way or another.
Noll make an active Blend which gets rid of this issue and actually has 2 small driver amps in each part of the circuit so you can set each pickup gain seperately.
Called the "Mixpot"
http://noll-electronic.de/guitar-electronics/mixpot/
This would, IMHO, be a perfect answer and the battery boxes would be used.
The switches could be whatever you like, even DFA's.
I wired a passive blend once and I didn't like it.

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1461690173' post='3036837']
If you are worried about the value of the bass, I'd get a whole different passive harness and keep the original preamp wiring intact.
This way you could easily wire it back to its original condition.
[/quote]Wise words indeed.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1461692316' post='3036867']
Here's a solution.
If you use a passive blend, there is likely to be an overall volume drop as you blend one way or another.
Noll make an active Blend which gets rid of this issue and actually has 2 small driver amps in each part of the circuit so you can set each pickup gain seperately.
Called the "Mixpot"
http://noll-electronic.de/guitar-electronics/mixpot/
This would, IMHO, be a perfect answer and the battery boxes would be used.
The switches could be whatever you like, even DFA's.
I wired a passive blend once and I didn't like it.
[/quote]

There is no volume drop at all when switching or blending. First bass I've had without volume drop issues.

That of course doesn't include if I've boosted with the eq but I don't.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461693226' post='3036874']
There is no volume drop at all when switching or blending. First bass I've had without volume drop issues.

That of course doesn't include if I've boosted with the eq but I don't.
[/quote]
That is one of the features of the East pre-amp. The Noll is effectively the same design of blend control that John uses in all his products.

I also have a bass with passive/active capability with an East P Retro type pre.

I prefer the passive mode, so just use that. However, I will keep the active pre in there as it has a huge range of mid frequencies which just might get me out of a sticky spot on stage during a gig.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1461771536' post='3037512']
Why not just leave it in, and not use it ?

It's always there if you want it then.
[/quote]

Pretty sound advice that, if you have a passive tone control and can bypass the pre anyway not sure what would be achieved by removing it completely. Unless the Pre is colouring the tone when bypassed?

I've had a 2-band pre fitted in place of a 3-band on my bass so I can have a passive tone. I don't use the pre often as I find a proper tone control more flexible but I can boost treble/bass if needed - handy when gigging!

It's a shame that you can't come across someone hankering after an East pre-amp. Remove yours from your bass, the other bod fits it to his bass; win - win, no..? Hmm... Now, who would be wanting an East pre-amp, I wonder..? :unsure: Maybe put it up for sale in the Marketplace here, and see if there are any offers..? ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1461863396' post='3038339']
It's a shame that you can't come across someone hankering after an East pre-amp. Remove yours from your bass, the other bod fits it to his bass; win - win, no..? Hmm... Now, who would be wanting an East pre-amp, I wonder..? :unsure: Maybe put it up for sale in the Marketplace here, and see if there are any offers..? ;)
[/quote]

Who are we talking about as the pre is being removed tomorrow I had Kiogon make me a loom up yesterday so should be here tomorrow. All being well it will be on the marketplace.

I've already offered it too Ambient.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461943544' post='3039011']
Pre amp removed. Liking the new setup individual tones for the pickups plus the three way toggle and blend has given some extra scope for tone changes. I'm really not an active tone guy.
[/quote]

Glad you got it sorted, it has to be one of the best playing basses I've had my mits on.

Did the output improve at all when you pulled the pre amp out?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461943544' post='3039011']
Pre amp removed. Liking the new setup individual tones for the pickups plus the three way toggle and blend has given some extra scope for tone changes. I'm really not an active tone guy.
[/quote]Sounds cool, I like a toggle set up over blend, personally; pics?

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461946120' post='3039045']
Plenty of "active tone" from your amp controls.
[/quote]

How it's set up is you can set one pickup tone then the other different which gets a little different or you can set them and use the toggle to quickly go from deep bass motown to funk and inbetween quicker than messing about with the blend etc. Although after playing around the blend confuses the issue as it also effects the tone when using a single pu as well as working as a blend.

Desperately need a new cab though. Even with a speaker upgrade this week it's pants.