Why become a member? ×

In the market for a DB

lowlandtrees

Just joined a rockabilly band. I have a very decent Kania da Gamba contra bass (small bodied ) that I like a lot but these guys want to be authentic 50 RB. I am therefore getting pressure to get a 3/4 DB. I am happy to do this but do not want to confine my style to RB. I also play now and again in a jazzy/blues/latin set up.
I would like to get a good all rounder. I like the look of some of the classical instruments from Eastern Europe but also like the Kay/King machines as well.
Which direction should I go? Can I get a classical instrument and set it up with nylon strings. Can I get a King and put steelies on?

How loud do you need to be in the rockabilly band?
Do they have a specific image in mind for the DB?
Are you expected to climb on the DB?

Duke make pro quality ply DBs (a few members on here own them or have used them long term) that look the part and sound good - Rabbie and Artisan spring immediately to mind as Duke players, and there are good quality vids of them using their Dukes on youtube, they would be well qualified to advise about feedback resistance etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwelbZ08TMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvbcaC98qa0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_HDnDun9so

Never heard of Duke DBs. Will have a look. I think the band would love it if I stood on the bass .....I think that I might find myself in a wheelchair. I like the look of Blast Cult DBs but never seen a used one for sale and don t have the funds for a new one. I have been looking at Englehart. I like the idea of lowish action with nylon strings. In general do rockabilly basses all need high action to facilitate slapping?

If you don't want to shell on a "classic" American DB (King Moretone or Kay) - then Blast Cult, Knight and Duke seem to be the classy end of modern plys, with Duke by far the cheapest/easiest for us UK folks. They're all comparatively new brands so don't turn up used very often. Engleharts and Strunal 50/4s are also weapons of choice and are more easily found used, and probably more easily afforded. There are also some of the newer King basses floating about now and then. You don't have to have high action to slap, unless you have an insanely fat E string, but a general rule of thumb is higher action for slapping gut or gut-like strings, low action for slapping steels (though often that's to allow for crazy fast slapping). Depends what suits your style really though.
Get a Duke 2-tone and stick some cordes lambert on it. It'll look sexy, sound ace, you can stand on em and you won't have to deal with hairy bits of intestine for strings. £2-2.5k. Job done :)

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1461953697' post='3039149']
If you don't want to shell on a "classic" American DB (King Moretone or Kay) - then Blast Cult, Knight and Duke seem to be the classy end of modern plys, with Duke by far the cheapest/easiest for us UK folks. They're all comparatively new brands so don't turn up used very often. Engleharts and Strunal 50/4s are also weapons of choice and are more easily found used, and probably more easily afforded. There are also some of the newer King basses floating about now and then. You don't have to have high action to slap, unless you have an insanely fat E string, but a general rule of thumb is higher action for slapping gut or gut-like strings, low action for slapping steels (though often that's to allow for crazy fast slapping). Depends what suits your style really though.
Get a Duke 2-tone and stick some cordes lambert on it. It'll look sexy, sound ace, you can stand on em and you won't have to deal with hairy bits of intestine for strings. £2-2.5k. Job done :)
[/quote]

Thanks. Been looking into Duke DBs....really like the look of them. What about the composite instruments.........any experience with them ..Any dealers in the UK? I have FB ed them and waiting for a reply.

I've not come across their composite instruments "in the flesh", but I think Thomas has only been making them recently so unlikely any have made it over here yet. No UK distribution for Duke and they don't export directly, but you can get them from Thomann or you have to use Bassico if you're having anything "non-standard" (so possibly the composite models). But messaging their FB is a good start. They're nice instruments. I love mine. Big, fat, deep sound and nice light instrument.