Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500

MrBump

Hi - thought I'd post this, my Fender Rumble 500 arrived the other day and it's brilliant!!! I know I'm new to bass stuff, and probably couldn't distinguish between good stuff and chaff as easily as you guys, but to my ears it offers so much! It's really brought my Yamaha BB425 alive, particularly the low B string.

Anyway, this is a clip of me testing it out, along with some guitar stuff.

Mark.

[url="https://youtu.be/P5QZ7OdsPdE"]https://youtu.be/P5QZ7OdsPdE[/url]

I can't believe how light the range were, probably the lightest rigs around £ for £. They sound alright too. The 500's are loud too.
Not sure how they would stand up to gigging I don't think they would like to be mistreated at all, although construction is good.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461763149' post='3037391']
I can't believe how light the range were, probably the lightest rigs around £ for £. They sound alright too. The 500's are loud too.
Not sure how they would stand up to gigging I don't think they would like to be mistreated at all, although construction is good.
[/quote]
I've been gigging my combo for almost 2 years, ok so that's only about 1gig per month, but practice sessions at least once a week as well.
I'am careful when I cart it around, but it's so light it's easy to shift it carefully.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1461761916' post='3037384']
Great. I bought 2 rumble 112 cabs yesterday and am really impressed with sound using my Hartke LH500 head. Thinking of looking at the rumble 500 head to go with it as it will be lighter than the hartke.
[/quote]

Nice one, do I get commission :lol:

[quote name='MrBump' timestamp='1461762225' post='3037387']

Yeah - the combo. Really light, I'm amazed that there's so much sound coming out of it!
[/quote]

It is a little surprising how something that has such little weight has such good tone and volume. Good choice.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461768369' post='3037467']

Nice one, do I get commission :lol:
[/quote]

Surely that's for you to discuss with the seller not the buyer :)
Thanks again for the heads up on it. £100 off the retail price and still with labels on and full warranty.

Edited by bonzodog

I'm planning on using my recently acquired Rumble 100 for a dep gig on Friday, though I picked it up as a practice combo. Don't think it will be a big room so I think it will do the job for not particularly loud pop/rock/indie stuff.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461775388' post='3037574']

The heft is strong in them. The 500 is bloody loud too, even at 350W without an extension cab.
Very easy to get a great sound.
[/quote]

Unfortunately disagree the 500w is loud but I didn't think it had that much authority and heft. The 200w and 100w are in my view a little weak and lack heft. I thought my old 90w carlsbro cobra had more heft than the 100w.

Just my opinion of course.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1461771140' post='3037503']
Surely that's for you to discuss with the seller not the buyer :)
Thanks again for the heads up on it. £100 off the retail price and still with labels on and full warranty.
[/quote]

Ha, no worries, glad you got a deal on them.

[quote name='MrBump' timestamp='1461758938' post='3037361']
Hi - thought I'd post this, my Fender Rumble 500 arrived the other day and it's brilliant!!! I know I'm new to bass stuff, and probably couldn't distinguish between good stuff and chaff as easily as you guys, but to my ears it offers so much! It's really brought my Yamaha BB425 alive, particularly the low B string.

Anyway, this is a clip of me testing it out, along with some guitar stuff.

Mark.

[url="https://youtu.be/P5QZ7OdsPdE"]https://youtu.be/P5QZ7OdsPdE[/url]
[/quote]

They do sound good with Yamaha BBs.

I'm 4 months into the second year with mine and still love it. You can get a surprising amount of bottom end for such a small cab - handles the Sterling through a Boss OC-2 very well. I don't think they feel flimsy at all (maybe the badge :lol: ) but overall, pretty solid.

I've been looking for an excuse to get a matching 2x10" but I haven't been in a situation that's called for it.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1461825675' post='3037860']
Great bottom end on it though - it doesn't need any boost on the bass tone control at all ime
[/quote]

+1. I've found it sounds great set flat, no shape buttons in, Gain at 12 o'clock and wind up the Master. Sounds great.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461829948' post='3037899']
Anybody had chance to compare Rumble to Ashdown MAG, Hartke LH or Ampeg PF tone/soundwise?
[/quote]

I've played through the Rumble Combo & many a MAG/ABM head (so not an exact comparison) - the Rumble is miles ahead for me; naturally good tone (of the vintagey variety) with a decent EQ, the Ashdown's have always just sounded like mush to me regardless of how many buttons/sliders are being used.

I haven't used the other two so couldn't comment.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461829948' post='3037899']
Anybody had chance to compare Rumble to Ashdown MAG, Hartke LH or Ampeg PF tone/soundwise?
[/quote]

I have an Ampeg PF350 right now which I'm enjoying, but it's not as simple to use or as quick to get a usable sound from as the Rumble 500. I really rate the Ashdown ABM500 and would use one all day long (great EQ) but it's too heavy for my liking. All in my humble opinion, of course. YMMV, etc etc.

If Fender did a Rumble preamp pedal I'd be on it like a Weightwatcher on a Greggs Steak Bake.

Edited by discreet