Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500

MrBump

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461837357' post='3038001']
If Fender did a Rumble preamp pedal I'd be on it like a Weightwatcher on a Greggs Steak Bake.
[/quote]

Same here. Given how many bassists use provided rigs nowadays to make changeovers quicker it surprises me how many manufacturers don`t have a preamp/DI pedal that sounds like their amps. Think both Fender and Ashdown are missing out on this big-time.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461838469' post='3038012']
Same here. Given how many bassists use provided rigs nowadays to make changeovers quicker it surprises me how many manufacturers don`t have a preamp/DI pedal that sounds like their amps. Think both Fender and Ashdown are missing out on this big-time.
[/quote]

Absolutely - I did suggest it to Fender (pointing out that Aguilar in particular have done very nicely out of the idea, thank you) and got a reply saying that they would certainly consider it, but I assume their R&D moves like a very fat dinosaur with diabetes, so I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1461836830' post='3037990']
I've played through the Rumble Combo & many a MAG/ABM head (so not an exact comparison) - the Rumble is miles ahead for me; naturally good tone (of the vintagey variety) with a decent EQ, the Ashdown's have always just sounded like mush to me regardless of how many buttons/sliders are being used.

I haven't used the other two so couldn't comment.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461837357' post='3038001']
I have an Ampeg PF350 right now which I'm enjoying, but it's not as simple to use or as quick to get a usable sound from as the Rumble 500. I really rate the Ashdown ABM500 and would use one all day long (great EQ) but it's too heavy for my liking. All in my humble opinion, of course. YMMV, etc etc.

If Fender did a Rumble preamp pedal I'd be on it like a Weightwatcher on a Greggs Steak Bake.
[/quote]

Tanks for the inputs

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461838469' post='3038012']
[/quote]

Seems that Ashdown has DI pedal
http://ashdownmusic.com/products/6/Pedals/9/Ashdown-Pedals/69/12-Band-Graphic-DI-/

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461829948' post='3037899']
Anybody had chance to compare Rumble to Ashdown MAG, Hartke LH or Ampeg PF tone/soundwise?
[/quote]

I played a place a few times last year that had a Hartke LH1000 as a house rig with 1x15 and 4x12 cabs. It looked impressive but from the third gig onwards I used my Rumble in preference :)

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461839959' post='3038027']
Seems that Ashdown has DI pedal
[url="http://ashdownmusic.com/products/6/Pedals/9/Ashdown-Pedals/69/12-Band-Graphic-DI-/"]http://ashdownmusic....nd-Graphic-DI-/[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah it`s still ot a preamp?DI, based on one of their amps though. Have to admit, I did chat to the guys on the Ashdown stand at the LBGS about this and they did seem quite up for one of these. Would be very interested as the Rootmaster head is a great sounding amp, a matching preamp/DI would be very tempting.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461840878' post='3038041']
Yeah it`s still ot a preamp?DI, based on one of their amps though. Have to admit, I did chat to the guys on the Ashdown stand at the LBGS about this and they did seem quite up for one of these. Would be very interested as the Rootmaster head is a great sounding amp, a matching preamp/DI would be very tempting.
[/quote]you could always get a rumble head and just use it as a preamp when required

I picked up a Rumble 500 combo a couple of weeks ago and it's now my main gigging setup in preference to my Ampeg, Markbass and TC rigs. The sound is excellent and I'm very impressed. No idea what heft is and frankly I don't care (sounds like a weasel word to me) but my ears tell me what's good and what isn't. I'll buy the 210 extension I think too just because both together will look cool, after applying Mr Discreet's logo mod, of course.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461926735' post='3038767']
That's not a bad idea!
[/quote]
I have said it before, I think those Rumble cabs add a lot to the sound..
I have DI'd my Rumble combo for recording but much prefer the sound I get when the cab is mic'ed up.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461927981' post='3038784']
I have DI'd my Rumble combo for recording but much prefer the sound I get when the cab is mic'ed up.
[/quote]

I didn't get a chance to DI my combo when I had it, but I thought it'd be the case that it was the 'whole' thing that made the tone as it was. I think you need the whole package as such.

[/quote]

https://youtu.be/FguIccFNaqo

The sound of the bass is coming from Rumble 100 directly but not properly mic'ed up. Recorded with Zoom B1. Bass is not loud enough in the mix hence the headphones are needed to hear the sound of the bass well.

Edited by GCYPbass

[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1461928196' post='3038789']
I didn't get a chance to DI my combo when I had it, but I thought it'd be the case that it was the 'whole' thing that made the tone as it was. I think you need the whole package as such.
[/quote]

I haven't used the DI, but I do get the impression the Eminence-loaded cab has a lot to do with the sound. It seems perfectly matched to the amp and is definitely 'voiced' in some way. But it just works. It's hard to get a bad sound from a Rumble Combo and they're really great live, really punchy and with loads of FLORB.*

*FLORB is the new HEFT. :D

Edited by discreet

God, this is such a good amp! I was rehearsing last night in my covers band, playing guitar and singing a little, and all I could do was think about how good I'd sound if I were filling the bass slot!

I think I may be "coming out" as a bass player... There are probably support lines for this, right?

One thing that I think would enhance the Rumble is the inclusion of LEDs or lit buttons on the top - the Bright, Contour and Vintage switches could do with illumination to see which one is depressed, as it's hard to tell otherwise.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461928919' post='3038796']
[url="https://youtu.be/FguIccFNaqo"]https://youtu.be/FguIccFNaqo[/url]

The sound of the bass is coming from Rumble 100 directly but not properly mic'ed up. Recorded with Zoom B1. Bass is not loud enough in the mix hence the headphones are needed to hear the sound of the bass well.
[/quote]
Nice version.

[quote name='MrBump' timestamp='1461929165' post='3038802']
God, this is such a good amp! One thing that I think would enhance the Rumble is the inclusion of LEDs or lit buttons on the top - the Bright, Contour and Vintage switches could do with illumination to see which one is depressed, as it's hard to tell otherwise.
[/quote]

Fender have to cut costs somewhere, the competitive price is one of the reasons why these are flying out the door by the shedload. Other reasons are weight, ease of use and sound, of course... anyway, I don't use any of those buttons... :D :P

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461929514' post='3038812']
Certainly is, when I think of heft I think of an 810 with an SVT on top, Florb is ok for me if it means a light punchy combo.
[/quote]

I read that three times and every time it came out as 'light, punchy potato'. I think I need a brain scan. :blink:

Just for balance... all IMO... :)...I had one for a while and didn't take to it. For what I wanted out of a combo, it was light but not quite light enough. Loud but not quite loud enough for my loudest band without an ext. cab. And most importantly I didn't like the tone - I found it too punchy and mid-centred, even with the shape contour. And I thought it seemed to me rather flimsy as though a half decent knock would damage it, especially the big expanse of cloth grill, even with a roqsolid cover. Horses for courses and I do appreciate I am in a minority. Possibly of one :)