Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500

MrBump

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1461932314' post='3038870']
Horses for courses and I do appreciate I am in a minority. Possibly of one :)
[/quote]

Boo! Party pooper! ;)

But seriously, it's fair enough. You properly tried it before saying you didn't like it. Fender amps don't seem to polarise opinion quite like another brand I could mention... hee, hee.

For perspective, my ideal tone is my trusty Trace Elliot AH300-12 SMX, Pre-shape 1 selected, EQ flat and barely dialed in. Which I know is not everyone's cup of TE.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461933298' post='3038884']
Fender amps don't seem to polarise opinion quite like another brand I could mention... hee, hee.
[/quote]

Right - I'll endeavour to change that. My new hobby will be Fender bashing at every given opportunity. The Rumble In The Jumble :)

Did I mention the handle...? :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1461939932' post='3038968']
Did I mention the handle...? :)
[/quote]

The handle is great! :lol: I've now come to the same conclusion as you - even 16kg is too heavy for my feeble, pathetic frame. :rolleyes: And to think I used to throw an Ampeg 810 and an SVT-CL around the place without even thinking about it. Where are the snows of yesteryear??

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461940129' post='3038971']
The handle is great! :lol: I've now come to the same conclusion as you - even 16kg is too heavy for my feeble, pathetic frame. :rolleyes: And to think I used to throw an Ampeg 810 and an SVT-CL around the place without even thinking about it. Where are the snows of yesteryear??
[/quote]

That's climate change for you.

i used to be as strong as an ox, now I just look like one :(

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461829948' post='3037899']
Anybody had chance to compare Rumble to Ashdown MAG, Hartke LH or Ampeg PF tone/soundwise?
[/quote]

I tried one of the 2x10" combos for research purposes a few weeks back. I thought it sounded good. Decently loud and I liked the Drive's distortion.
Being an owner of a PF-350 and a LH500, as well as a former owner of an Ashdown MAG300 combo, I say it's better than the Ampeg and Ashdown heads by dint of having more power. It's got different features to the Hartke. The Rumble 500 has a more varied EQ; Amp Voicing and A Drive/Distortion feature. The LH500 has a tube preamp, simpler EQ and Limiter and "BRITE" buttons. It's a coin toss IMHO!
I would also say that Paul Duffy from The Coral used the Rumble 500 combo when they recently appeared on Later... with Jools Holland and the bass sounded good. Check it out on the iPlayer if you want to hear for yourself.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1462006346' post='3039462']
I tried one of the 2x10" combos for research purposes a few weeks back. I thought it sounded good. Decently loud and I liked the Drive's distortion.
Being an owner of a PF-350 and a LH500, as well as a former owner of an Ashdown MAG300 combo, I say it's better than the Ampeg and Ashdown heads by dint of having more power. It's got different features to the Hartke. The Rumble 500 has a more varied EQ; Amp Voicing and A Drive/Distortion feature. The LH500 has a tube preamp, simpler EQ and Limiter and "BRITE" buttons. It's a coin toss IMHO!
I would also say that Paul Duffy from The Coral used the Rumble 500 combo when they recently appeared on Later... with Jools Holland and the bass sounded good. Check it out on the iPlayer if you want to hear for yourself.
[/quote]

I found Ashdown ABM & MAG and Ampeg PF-500 to be a bit muffled sounding and not bright and punchy enough for me.

The Hartke LH1000 through Laney NX 4x10 & 1x15" cabs was mighty but so was the weight. For a rock gig I think it was hard to beat.

The Fender is light enough for me, plus I like a punchy sound and lots of mids. For a loud band with no PA support you'd need an extension cab but that's a given, it's only a wee combo. Loud for it's size but still only a 2x10" and actually more power than I need so I never have to drive it hard.

Right, just got my 2nd rumble 100, first one didn't work, just a faint noise at full volume and the new one is just the same.

I have to have the o/d switched in to get any volume at all. Just gain and volume produce very little at all, is it meant to have the overdrive on constantly to get any volume? what am I missing here? The drive and level knobs seem to control all the volume. I don't want overdrive.

help!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1462028637' post='3039769']
Right, just got my 2nd rumble 100, first one didn't work, just a faint noise at full volume and the new one is just the same. I have to have the o/d switched in to get any volume at all. Just gain and volume produce very little at all, is it meant to have the overdrive on constantly to get any volume? what am I missing here? The drive and level knobs seem to control all the volume. I don't want overdrive.
[/quote]

Send it back straight away - the 100 should be as lush tone-wise as the 500 and is very loud for a 100. This without using the OD circuit at all. There is obviously something very wrong with it. Either you've been extremely unlucky, or somehow you have been sent the first faulty unit back again!

Edited by discreet

Rather embarrasing this, I was so tied up with the amp's controls I completely forgot about the bass's volume control...... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: x1000
Hell it's loud, can't believe the wall of noise this thing emits.

Edited by tom1946

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1462029142' post='3039779']
Rather embarrasing this, I was so tied up with the amp's controls I completely forgot about the bass's volume control...... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: x1000
Hell it's loud, can't believe the wall of noise this thing emits.
[/quote]
Glad it was an easy fix :)

• 1 year later...

So how are these (the combos particularly) in long-term use? I've been going ampless for a year now, or rather it's been almost a year since I sold my rig after realising I didn't really need to take it anywhere anymore. Now I might need one again (function band). Price, portability, reliability and good sound are important. The new Rumbles look good too, which is not a bad thing. Need to buy new as well. Can these be recommended?

[quote name='such' timestamp='1495530397' post='3304427']
So how are these (the combos particularly) in long-term use? I've been going ampless for a year now, or rather it's been almost a year since I sold my rig after realising I didn't really need to take it anywhere anymore. Now I might need one again (function band). Price, portability, reliability and good sound are important. The new Rumbles look good too, which is not a bad thing. Need to buy new as well. Can these be recommended?
[/quote]
I've had over 2 years out of my Rumble 500 so far, Practices everyweek and 30 or so gigs and it's not missed a beat.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1495508329' post='3304286']
I acquired a Fender Rumble 500 Combo today. A well put together amp, with a lot of good sounds from it. The twin Eminence 10's do well.

[/quote]

You've changed the badge on the front to a repro Blackface logo? Looks much better than the one they put on the Rumbles as standard...