Why become a member? ×

Right, Prince was great, but....

Funky Dunky

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1461843361' post='3038075']
YouTube has never had so much Prince content.
[/quote]
I agree - it's virtually exploded with Prince content!! I'm seeing legitimately recorded stuff from shows I've never seen before and it's pretty good. He was pretty possessive about his music and I say that from the point of view that he turned down many many opportunities to license his music and boost his royalties by some margin but turned them all down. Licensing is what turned Paul McCartney from merely a wealthy man into a near billionaire. Its better known as a song writers pension. Prince died with cashflow issues - he was still wealthy in terms of assets but there wasn't much in the bank and he lost loads in those secret last minute gigs.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1461846054' post='3038123']
Could form a band just doing the hits of dead people.
[/quote]

I remember a comedy show back in the 80s (Who Dares Wins, maybe?) did a sketch about that - big charity event. Rather than 'Live Aid', they called it 'Dead Aid'. Tag line was 'Feed the Worms'. It featured a row of mic'd up coffins of various dead artists. Perhaps not in the best of taste but it was amusing. At least, I found it so back in the 80s.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1461846054' post='3038123']
Could form a band just doing the hits of dead people.
[/quote]

Maybe narrow it down to dead people that had short, but impressive careers.

Tonight Matthew, I'm gonna be Carol Bunga with the Six foot under, One hit wonders...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1461766135' post='3037426']
......why is EVERYONE covering Purple Rain in tribute? The guy recorded 17,000 songs (maybe) and EVERYONE is doing Purple Rain. Stop it. Somebody pick another song. Please. I'm going to lose appreciation for the song. I get it. Big power ballad. Dead guy. Emotive. But please - somebody pick another song to cover.

Sorry, it's been bothering me for days now.
[/quote]

It's because it's the easiest Prince song for a guitar/bass/drums/vox band to cover.