Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

You may have one, you may not. This is the bass that if you were on the streets you'd be hugging for warmth at night, the bass that almost feels as much a part of you as your hands.

I have one...

Back in 1994 I walked into Dawsons in Warrington for yet another replacement bass. There was a custom luthier made stingray copy with a bartolini humbucker in the sweet spot. I played it and it sounded and felt incredible. Needless to say I bought it.

Since then I've not bought another regular 4 string fretted (although I do have a P on long term loan) I've been through a number of 5 strings and fretless basses but never felt the need to replace that 4 string.

I love all my basses...

Apart from an MIJ Fender Jazz I have had them all built for me so I feel pretty invested in all of them... I also have another build on the way due next year. I wouldn't want to part with any of them but I'd never say never... life changes, priorities change, I may find myself in a position at some point in the future where I'm no longer remotely interest in basses or music. In which case I'd sell them all :)

... although out of my current stable the Wal is the least likely to be going anywhere.

Edited by CamdenRob

Don't think that I would sell any of my basses. Most certainly though I would never sell my old Precision. I could easily find a replacement Vigier or Sadowsky Metro if I sold them (affording one again might be a problem) but my Fender is fairly unique, in that it barely works and is slowly falling apart. I love it.

One bass? My Gibson RD Artist. My wife bought me it and it's an amazing, quirky bass which I love both owning and playing.

There are others which would be a real gut punch to have to get rid of because of the work gone into making them what they are - Gibson Victory Artist and Ripper - both restored from states of dilapidation and my Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard tricked out with EMG goodness. But ultimately if I had to only keep one, it's the RD.

Unless I really need to sell it, my 1st US 2015 Fender Precision (I now have two), as I did my first Rebellion Festival with that bass, and recorded our 2nd album on it, two things which mean a great deal to me. Plus it plays great, looks great, sounds great, and isn`t too heavy, all of which help.

Until very recently, it was my Fender Roadworn Jazz. It's an absolutely stunning bass in every way
I just never felt so comfortable playing a bass, and one that just sounds so good too
However, in a recent attack of GAS, I also bought a Fender Roadworn P bass

The P had had some slight thinning work done on the neck (before I bought it) - superb finish to that work too.
I just had it converted to PJ, with a Jazz pickup added by brilliant cardiff luthier Dave Dearnaley
I have to say it was brilliant before, but now it is immense.
I love the sound options the PJ arrangement gives me, but it's also quite a bit lighter weight than my Jazz
(I don't have any scales, before anyone asks - but the RW P seems the lightest solid body long scale bass I've ever picked up)

I would hate to part with either my RW Jazz or my RW P - but if I absolutely had to, I now admit I'd keep the P
But parting with the Jazz would hurt (slightly) less

Dificult, i have 3 basses i won't sell ever:

Maison P copy - my first bass, bought it after working a summer for it.

Maison Bass Cllection copy - my first 5 string, was bought for me by my late grandfather (would be the first out of a burning building).

Yamaha TRB5PII - the bass with "my" sound.

An ex-Pino stack-knob Jazz from 1961: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-PINO-PALLADINO-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-STACK-KNOB-1961-VINTAGE-FENDER-BASS-WHO-/391434650065?hash=item5b2352c1d1:g:D2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d

I'll never sell this bass, mainly because I'll never buy it.

Mentioned this before, but my custom Shuker; a gift from all my friends for my 50th, and a custom spec I got exactly right. When I go to The Great Soundcheck In The Sky, my boy's getting it. What he does with it after that is entirely his call, but I'll be passing it on to him.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461841890' post='3038055']
An ex-Pino stack-knob Jazz from 1961: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-PINO-PALLADINO-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-STACK-KNOB-1961-VINTAGE-FENDER-BASS-WHO-/391434650065?hash=item5b2352c1d1:g:D2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d[/url]

[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1461840653' post='3038037']
Dificult, i have 3 basses i won't sell ever:

Maison P copy - my first bass, bought it after working a summer for it.

Maison Bass Cllection copy - my first 5 string, was bought for me by my late grandfather (would be the first out of a burning building).

Yamaha TRB5PII - the bass with "my" sound.
[/quote]

I've never met anyone else with a Maison 'Bass Collection' copy. I had two, a fretted and a fretless. I gigged the fretted for several years

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461841890' post='3038055']
An ex-Pino stack-knob Jazz from 1961: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-PINO-PALLADINO-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-STACK-KNOB-1961-VINTAGE-FENDER-BASS-WHO-/391434650065?hash=item5b2352c1d1:g:D2IAAOSw7KJXEO9d

[/quote]
Why not? It's such a bargain!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1461845167' post='3038107']
me too. Twice!
[/quote]

Mine was a Guild B302. Alan, who used to run Telford Musical Instruments tried to placate my Mom, who had just signed as guarantor on the HP agreement, by saying, "This is a professional instrument. He won't need anything else". He was probably right, but since when does 'need' come into it when you're struck by a GAS attack. I miss that bass

Edited by MoJo

I can't categorically say "never" but the last to go would be my Veillette Citron. Everybody who's ever tried it has been impressed by it, great weight, balance and tone and most people have never heard of them.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Veillette%20Citron%20Basses/d587bdc5-d975-47ad-860e-427f70d739a0_zpsionfvvlg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Veillette%20Citron%20Basses/d587bdc5-d975-47ad-860e-427f70d739a0_zpsionfvvlg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I foolishly sold the fretless I had, really regret this even though I don't play fretless..