Why become a member? ×

Instrument Insurance

Jono Bolton

I have a small run of gigs next week and I'll be taking my P Bass and my head with me. Is it possible to get insurance just or the 4 days I need it for, or am I as well just getting a normal policy i.e. for the year? I've used Music Guard before but probably wouldn't go back to them as I've heard some stories about them being difficult to work with (although I never had to make a claim off them).

I'd need something that covers theft, damage etc, including while it's in the car and venue. Any suggestions?

New Moon here as well. I have an annual policy but it has in-car cover, also you can specify whether instruments are covered just at home/studio or out and about. Handy for that '54 P-bass that doesn't get gigged any more.

New Moon looks good; to cover my bass and head for all my needs is a baffling £25 a year with no excess :blink: I gather this is due to the value of my gear, but that seems incredibly cheap to replace approx. £700-worth of stuff.

Edited by Jono Bolton

Bit of a silly question but how would I go about valuing my bass, do I just put the RRP? or what it's worth to me? or something else entirely? :lol:

eg, my Lull was sold by Bass Direct for something like £3400 but I brought it off the original buyer for a price nowhere near that, maybe around £1300ish. So if I was to put down £1300, I couldn't replace it like-for-like but I also didn't spend £3500 either. Never really dealt with insuring things before as I don't drive!

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1461851225' post='3038199']
Bit of a silly question but how would I go about valuing my bass, do I just put the RRP? or what it's worth to me? or something else entirely? :lol:

eg, my Lull was sold by Bass Direct for something like £3400 but I brought it off the original buyer for a price nowhere near that, maybe around £1300ish. So if I was to put down £1300, I couldn't replace it like-for-like but I also didn't spend £3500 either. Never really dealt with insuring things before as I don't drive!
[/quote]

Insure it for whatever it will cost to replace.

I'd value it at the cost to replace it as well. My P Bass was an ebay bargain so I got it for less than £200, but to buy one new would cost me between £390 and £440. I put a price of £425 for it as I know I could find a replacement for that cost. My head was a bit more difficult as it's no longer in production. Again, mine cost me £100 but I've seen them go for more than that so I put down a value that I know would get me a replacement; finding one is the tricky bit!

I have all my gear as listed items on my Aviva house insurance... I have it all covered for "professional use" to cover me for the odd occasion I receive some beer tokens for a gig.

Everything has a listed replacement value.

... as with any insurance though, I'll only really know how good it is if I have to claim.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have all of my gear listed on my home insurance. I am covered inside and out of the home and covered for professional use in venues etc. Not all insurance companies do it which I discovered when we got a quote from another provider, but I went through it with them and made sure I had confirmation that I was covered for all eventualities.

The best bit is it cost me basically nothing extra on top of my normal policy.

Like a couple of others here I use the home insurance. I use co-op. The gear is covered in and out the house plus I get a few months in europe which has come in handy last few years. You have to say "professional use" or they wont cover it fully. You can say what its worth so with my head and cabs I value them at what I need to get second hand stuff should the worse happen. They wont cover me for the medical expenses following a complete mental breakdown should the axe get stolen but I will at least be able to go straight out and get another.......