Why become a member? ×

Zoom 708ii -can I use the aux input to play my bass along to mp3

markdavid

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have managed to score a Zoom 708ii and am currently awaiting delivery of the item. [/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Doing some googling I found a manual for the 708ii that mentions using the type keys to select Bass or Aux but no mention of using both at the same time.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I would like to be able to play along with mp3's when I practice and was wondering if I can use the aux input to play my bass along to mp3's or is the Zoom 708ii only capable of handling either Aux in or Input jack at one time , anyone able to answer this? Thanks[/font][/color]

Thanks, if it turns out that it can only take either aux or bass input at one time is there any reason why I couldn't use a two input socket adaptor like for example the picture below and plug both my bass and an mp3 player into it? bearing in mind that this setup will only be used for practice and definately not for gigging

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1461856759' post='3038271']
Thanks, if it turns out that it can only take either aux or bass input at one time is there any reason why I couldn't use a two input socket adaptor like for example the picture below and plug both my bass and an mp3 player into it? bearing in mind that this setup will only be used for practice and definately not for gigging

[/quote]
That adaptor is mono, so you'd only get one track of the MP3. If you used a stereo version of the adaptor it should work (I have a Zoom GFX 707 and I am pretty sure it works in stereo when presented with a stereo source, because I think it has a stereo chorus effect, but it has been a long time since I did it so I could be wrong), but any effects used would also effect the MP3.

I really do think that it will work as you hope.

Edit: A better alternative would be something like a small mixer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-502-Xenyx-mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461857813&sr=8-2&keywords=2+channel+stereo+mixer

But that's £32 and I hate it when people go suggesting stuff like that like it's nothing, £32 is a lot of money for me, but I thought I'd put it out there.

But don't go buying anything until you're sure you need to.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1461857740' post='3038280']
That adaptor is mono, so you'd only get one track of the MP3. If you used a stereo version of the adaptor it should work (I have a Zoom GFX 707 and I am pretty sure it works in stereo when presented with a stereo source, because I think it has a stereo chorus effect, but it has been a long time since I did it so I could be wrong), but any effects used would also effect the MP3.

I really do think that it will work as you hope.

Edit: A better alternative would be something like a small mixer:

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-502-Xenyx-mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461857813&sr=8-2&keywords=2+channel+stereo+mixer"]https://www.amazon.c...el+stereo+mixer[/url]

But that's £32 and I hate it when people go suggesting stuff like that like it's nothing, £32 is a lot of money for me, but I thought I'd put it out there.

But don't go buying anything until you're sure you need to.
[/quote] Thanks for the suggestion , yes if the Zoom does not work out I think I may well get a small mixer but only once I have tried out the Zoom obviously.
I hear you on the money thing I was looking at the Vox Amphones with the preamp built into the headphones and liked the idea but I just couldn't bring myself to spend £70+ on a set of headphones + preamp that dont look that solidly built

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1461861698' post='3038320']
Thanks for the suggestion , yes if the Zoom does not work out I think I may well get a small mixer but only once I have tried out the Zoom obviously.
I hear you on the money thing I was looking at the Vox Amphones with the preamp built into the headphones and liked the idea but I just couldn't bring myself to spend £70+ on a set of headphones + preamp that dont look that solidly built
[/quote]
I've been using a Behringer Xenyx 802 for four years and it's been a cracking bit of kit. I think a lot of people like the Xenyx mixers.

Got the zoom 708ii , the aux does work at the same time as the input :) i definately prefer the amp modelling sounds to the bypass,the amp modelling sounds good, bypass mode seems very midrange heavy.
Have been playing around on this and i love the amp modelling on this, what is funny is that the biggest bassiest setting on the amp modelling is titled bright amp, this setting far from being bright sounds huge

Edited by markdavid