Why become a member? ×

Herts Bass Bash 2016 - Preamp/DI Pedal Shootout

Lozz196

Ok, following on from the last few years where I`ve done various shootouts at both the Herts & SE Bashes, this years is going to be on preamp/DI pedals. Link to this years event below, taking place on Sunday 5th June:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277704-herts-bass-bash-2016-sunday-5th-june/

So, same format, I`ll play a bit of bass through each, with a few different settings, probably flat, scooped, mid-forward, and driven, and we can all see which pedal we like the best. I`m sure the owner of said pedal will win a cup of tea and a biscuit, or something equally inspiring.

And as it`s about DI pedals I`m going to be doing this through the FOH PA that is at the venue, so that the pedals can be judged on how they sound without the colouration of amps/cabs. Plus, being lazy, it will mean I have less gear to carry :)

So ideally I`d like it if some of you lovely Basschatters can bring along your preamp/DI pedals. I`ll start the list off:

[b]Lozz196[/b] - Aguilar Tonehammer, Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver

EBUK (Strings are us) are kindly donating a [size=4][color=#000000]LR Baggs Stadium Bass DI for the raffle which can also be in the shoot-out. So we have:[/color][/size]
[list]
[*][b]Lozz196[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] - Aguilar Tonehammer, Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver [/font][/color]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]BillyApple[/b] - B7K[/font][/color]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]EBUK[/b] - [/font][/color][color=#000000]LR Baggs Stadium Bass DI[/color]
[/list]

[color=#000000]Any particular requests??[/color]

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1461869494' post='3038420']
Not sure if it would be valid in the context of the test, but my Zoom B3 has DI out, and a few DI box sims in it, Sansamp, etc?
[/quote]

Not a bad idea at all Nick - might be worth doing "real" pedal, then the B3 equivalent, see if there`s any noticeable difference.

Cool.

I've not really used it for that, but I'll have a play between now and then and pick out the one I think comes closest to a proper DI, if that suit's you... No worries if you decide it's not really appropriate, as I'll be bringing it anyway.

[list]
[*][b]Lozz196[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] - Aguilar Tonehammer, Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver [/font][/color]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]BillyApple[/b] - B7K[/font][/color]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]EBUK[/b] - [/font][/color][color=#000000]LR Baggs Stadium Bass DI[/color]
[*][color=#000000][b]Gary mac[/b] MXR M80[/color]
[/list]

[quote name='ordep' timestamp='1461879605' post='3038523']
I can bring my Two notes LeBass if needed.
[/quote]

Yes please:
[list]
[*][color=#000000][b]Ordep[/b] - Two Notes LeBass[/color]
[*][color=#000000][b]NickD[/b] - Zoom B3 (preamp on ths yet to be chosen)[/color]
[/list]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462702470' post='3044958']
could bring a Tech 21 Leeds sansamp if I can make it? Although the Bass Driver will probably win that one anyway
[/quote]

That would be great, list updated (The Leeds is a great pedal btw)
[list]
[*][color=#000000][b]Ordep[/b] - Radial Tonebone[/color]
[*][color=#000000][b]NickD[/b] - Zoom B3 (preamp on ths yet to be chosen)[/color]
[*][color=#000000][b]The Ox[/b] - Tech21 Leeds[/color]
[/list]

Is anybody bringing one of these??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-BDI21V-Tone-Bass-Guitar-DI-Box-Analog-Modeling-Bass-Preamp-Stompbox-/351654604808?hash=item51e03f7008:g:UZsAAOSwQYZWwbdl

I'd like to see how a £30 pedal compares to a couple of hundred quids worth.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1463141117' post='3048943']

That would be great, list updated (The Leeds is a great pedal btw)
[list]
[/list]
[/quote]

No worries :) if i can make it I'll bring it! If anyone fancies buying it off me please shoot me a message

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463146482' post='3049030']
Is anybody bringing one of these??

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-BDI21V-Tone-Bass-Guitar-DI-Box-Analog-Modeling-Bass-Preamp-Stompbox-/351654604808?hash=item51e03f7008:g:UZsAAOSwQYZWwbdl"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ZsAAOSwQYZWwbdl[/url]

I'd like to see how a £30 pedal compares to a couple of hundred quids worth.
[/quote]

Agree, good call Mick, would be nice to see the BDI21 in this.

I'll be bringing my pedalboard which has a SansAmp Para Driver on it - helpful to compare with the Bass Driver and the Leeds?[list]
[*][color=#000000][b]Bottle [/b]- Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver[/color]
[/list]

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1463609403' post='3052872']
Hoping to get there. If I do, I'll bring a BDI21 along.
[/quote]

Nice one, I`ve got one as well now so will also bring along
[list]
[*][b]Lozz196[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] - Aguilar Tonehammer, Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver/Behringer BDI21[/font][/color]
[*][color=#000000][b]Bottle [/b]- Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver[/color]
[/list]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, great day at the Herts bass Bash, and the Preamp/DI Pedal shooutout went as follows.

First off thanks to Gary Mac for letting me use his new Handbox 400 amp (with goovy lights), secondly thanks to Sibob for assisting on the technical side of the test. Given that each pedal had different features, such as sweepable mids, dedicated gain/no gain etc, I decided that I would play a few notes/lines with all settings at 12 o`clock (hoping that this was the flat setting for the pedals) then adding some highs, then reducing highs but adding some gain. Pedals tested were as listed below. After the test the audience had the opportunity to mark their fave for each setting, which will be listed alongside the pedals.

Aguilar Tonehammer - Clean 0, Highs 0, Gain 0
Sansamp Bass Driver - Clean 0, Highs 0, Gain 0
Zoom B3 (on Sansamp Bass Driver simulation) - Clean 2, Highs 0, Gain 0
Sansamp Parea Driver - Clean 0, Highs 0, Gain 1
Behringer BDI21 - Clean 0, Highs 1, Gain 0
Tech21 VT - Clean 0, Highs 0, Gain 3
MXR M80 - Clean 2, Highs 0, Gain 1
Zoom B3 (on MXR M80 simulation) - Clean 2, Highs 0, Gain 0
Sadowsky - Clean 3, Highs 0, Gain 0
Radial Tonebone - Clean 0, Highs 0, Gain 3

So, for cleans we have the Sadowsky in first place with the MXR M80, Zoom B3 MXR Simulation, and MXR Sansamp Simulation in joint second.

For highs we only had one preference, tha eing the Behringer, and as was explained to my be said voter, that`s because they weren`t too shrill.

And then for gain we have the Tech21 VT and the Radial Tonebone, very interesting as the Radial Tonebone had no added gain, that was it`s stock sound.

So overall impressions then - well the core sound of all of the pedals was very similar, only the Sadowsky and the Radial Tonebone offering any real difference, the Sadowsky being much warmer and richer sounding, and the Radial Tonebone, as we see, being a bit naturally gainier. But my main thoughts were I could get a good workable sound with any of them, and the Zoom B3 especially surprising me as the simulated sounds of both the Sansamp and the MXR were so near to the originals. I`m sure with a bit of tweaking they could be made identical.

And yet again, in one of these shootouts I`ve managed to get zero scores for my own gear, namely the Aguilar Tonehammer and the Sansamp Bass Driver. Bah :angry:

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1465149453' post='3065624']
Ok, great day at the Herts bass Bash, and the Preamp/DI Pedal shooutout went as follows.

And yet again, in one of these shootouts I`ve managed to get zero scores for my own gear, namely the Aguilar Tonehammer and the Sansamp Bass Driver. Bah :angry:
[/quote]

Sorry I couldn't be there but I'm glad that you all had a great time by the sound of things.

Never mind Lozz, at least we know what we're doing - don't we? :ph34r: