Why become a member? ×

Vulfpeck, and Joe Dart

Funky Dunky

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1472634554' post='3122737']
I've been working on a new funk band and one tune we're trying to cover at the moment is Beastly. The main bass line sounds so simple but as soon as I started playing it I was stumped by the timing. I think I've got it now, but it's really made me pay attention to his timing. It's just so perfect! I was trying to find other players to inspire me, but I find them all inferior compared to Joe Dart. Am I in love? Is there anyone who can compare?
[/quote]

Similar thing happened to me with It Gets Funkier. I can play those notes, but it doesn't sound like when Joe does it! So many accents, it's hard to master.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1472645382' post='3122853']
I had to cut the nails right down on my right hand to get the muted notes to sound right. It's those muted percussive notes in between the actual notes that seem to make the whole bassline make sense
[/quote]

This. Absolutely this.

His playing is packed with ghost notes and staccato, clipped notes....just so much feel and articulation in everything he plays, no wonder the guy is constantly bobbing his head - he's a one-man groove machine!

I read that he practised a lot to a drum machine. I download a drum loop app which is great, so I've been playing along to that a lot. It's cool because I never used to play bass at home at all, maybe once a month or so. The rest of the music at home would be guitar or piano, but since getting into vulfpeck I've been keeping the bass out of it's bag and going funk-nuts in the kitchen! It's ace

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1472643895' post='3122837']
Similar thing happened to me with It Gets Funkier. I can play those notes, but it doesn't sound like when Joe does it! So many accents, it's hard to master.
[/quote]

Nice demo without band here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhI_ABr1Owk[/media]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1472639527' post='3122789']
He appears to have a relationship going with Ernie Ball now...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ppx7rVykH0&index=7&list=PLSgBgfHBd5Jxx8suvxGo_90L9u8S_RMbC[/media]
[/quote]

oh the frett buzz!!! i couldn't live with that :mellow:

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1472714175' post='3123466']
I don't hear anything problematic. You're going to get some fret noise on all fretted basses unless you use a really light touch.
[/quote]

unless you want it as part of your sound, and ive never met anybody that does, then its a problem IMHO

A professional setup on a quality bass should not allow any fret buzz. but i suppose its up down to personal preference as to how much is acceptable for you.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472721748' post='3123594']
I am a realist though.
[/quote]

...and i prefer to play a bass set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

anyway we appear to have totally stolen this thread! lets talk about how deep in the pocket Joe Dart is :) he makes me want to pull my bass face when im listening to him :D

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1472770908' post='3124212']
Not at the moment I'm afraid. I have considered approaching the band regarding a transcription book however. I guess there might be an appetite for it...?

Stuart
[/quote]

It sounds good. Would you be discounting for BC members? I'd be interested in a tab book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've only become aware of Vulfpeck in the last few months and have been digesting their back catalogue ever since. Joe Dart is indeed an amazing bass player.

I find a lot of 'muso' bands to be pretentious and worthy, but Vulfpeck seem to do everything with a lot of colour and humour, I'm a fan.