Why become a member? ×

Boss OC2 - lights on but nobody home

Statusman

Hoping someone cleverer than me can suggest something - or maybe this has happened before!

I've got a Boss OC2 (Taiwan version), reasonably new as they go. The light comes on as it should when on battery or mains power but there is absolutely nothing getting through, direct sound or effect, so no difference when switch is on or off.
I've had the back off and the jack connections through to the PCB look fine as to the sockets themselves - the plugs seem to be making a decent contact.

Anyone come across this before or have any obvious things to try?

Thanks in advance

Simon

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1461927555' post='3038779']
Just checking, are you connecting the correct way round. i.e. in and out the right direction.
[/quote]

This sounds silly, but I've had a few people do this with pedals I've built for them, certainly worth checking!
If plugged in correctly, and all volumes (octaves and direct) are up full, and still no signal. I'd pop it along to a pedal repairer. I recommend Owen Electronics, did a cracking job on my Line6 DL4: http://www.owenelectronics.co.uk

Si

Thanks everyone for your replies. To confirm, I acquired this from EvilBay as not working so took a bit of a punt on getting it going but it is in great condition so thought it was worth a look...

Definitely connecting the right way - I did just double check though! :)

Simon

Boss pedals use FET switching, operated by a single switch contact. The signal runs through a buffer whether or not the effect is engaged. I would be looking at tracing the signal through that path, and first thing to check would be the wires going between the in and out sockets and the main circuit board.

Here's the schematic:

Edited by JapanAxe