Why become a member? ×

Markbass head and cab or combo

modelreject

Hi,

About to take the plunge on a Markbass amp. 500W is more than I will need so looking at the 121 combo or the Markbass 3 Head and Cab.

Now, just a bit of advice. I know the combo uses the Markbass 3 head

Markbass 3 Head (500W) - £390
Traveller 102 4 Ohm - £384
Traveller 102 8 Ohm - £349 (Not sure what wattage I would get out of each of the Travellers as both 4Ohm and 8Ohm state that they provide 400W)

Markbass 121 Combo (300W) - £588
Markbass 121 Cab (Added, allows 500W) - £359

So, there is a bit of a price difference. Initially I will be jamming/rehearsing so the the 300W of the combo will be fine and if need be I can add the cab later.

With the Head I would prob prefer owning an 8Ohm cab as it means I could add another to get the full 500W if need be. That would increase the cost, by quite a bit.

Finally, there were concerns from users that the tweeter on the Combo was annoying. It's quite divided opinion as a lot of people swear by this little amp.

Any advice welcomed :-)

Thanks,
C

I used to have the 121 combo and ext cab. I used to turn the tweeter off on the cab, and obviously had to keep it on on the combo. It didn`t bother me, and I`m not really a tweeter-guy. You can do a simple mod to it tho - Shonks on here described it, he simply got a good bit of foam and stuck it in front of it, behind the grill. No disabling, no messing up electrics etc.

As a portable but powerful set-up it was great, I only moved on as my needs were for a totally different sound, but I`d recommend that pairing in an instant.

Cheers Lozz! Yeah, it sounds like a great setup. I would just begrudge spending the money on an expensive product that needs remedied in such a fashion. It's just awkward because no one near here stocks the amp. It may not bother me at all, like a lot of other people :-)

I tried the combo a few weeks back and liked it. Didn't buy as decided to get a lightweight cab and use with my existing head. A combo isn't as flexible as a separate amp and cab and if, as you suggest, you may need more power at a later date, I'd suggest the LM3 (which is being sold at a good price at present) the way to go. You don't need to use MB cabs of course. Perhaps look at a decent used cab or two?

Edited by Dan Dare

Have to say, I`ve always been very impressed when hearing Markbass amps through Barefaced cabs, the two seem to really work well together. Never had that set-up myself, but every time I`ve heard that particular pairing I`ve thought it was great.

When I got my LMII I went for two 8 ohm Traveler cabs. For big clubs, outdoors and back line only both came along, for smaller gigs, acoustic nights, rehearsals the 2x10 came and the 1x15 stayed at home. I like the versatility and it was plenty loud in either config. Also, I got one of the rucksack cases for the amp. Dead handy!

The LM||| does look like a great option. Regarding flexibility both options offer similar outcomes.

For rehearsal I would only need the combo rather than taking a separate head and cab. Then to max out at 500W I would just buy the extra cab. With the LM||| I would have the head, a cab and then another cab to max it out at 500W. The cost of the domino cab would be considerably less also. So far it appears the combo cab is the best option. The only thing that would probably sway me is the 2 x 10 rather than having the one bass speaker with the combo. Would there be much difference? Cheers again.

Edited by modelreject

Been there and done this!

Started with LMII and Traveler 210 and 115 cabs. Then upgraded to LMIII with same cabs. Then sold 1115 cab as never used it!

Now have CMD121 combo and toying with getting a cheap 121 NY cab. But why as I have a RJ 500 head and 15" cab too.....!?

Combo is great value compared with a LIII and separate 121 NY cab.

I've got the CMD121P + NY121P - very pleased with it.
Agreed that you don't get as much flexibility as a separate head, but really, how much do you need?
The extension cab is a very good idea - it seems to make the low end a lot more solid even if you don't turn it up. Possibly this is because the top speaker ends up being higher.
The whole thing can go plenty loud enough on the backline. It's easily capable of drowning our drummer, but he's technical and quiet so YMMV.
The two 'weird' EQ knobs are very important - the VLE in particular makes a huge difference.
For small gigs I can just use the combo on its own, and I also have a Micromark 801 which is my home practice amp.

[quote name='modelreject' timestamp='1461919195' post='3038677']
Hi,

About to take the plunge on a Markbass amp. 500W is more than I will need so looking at the 121 combo or the Markbass 3 Head and Cab.

Now, just a bit of advice. I know the combo uses the Markbass 3 head

Markbass 3 Head (500W) - £390
Traveller 102 4 Ohm - £384
Traveller 102 8 Ohm - £349 (Not sure what wattage I would get out of each of the Travellers as both 4Ohm and 8Ohm state that they provide 400W)

Markbass 121 Combo (300W) - £588
Markbass 121 Cab (Added, allows 500W) - £359

So, there is a bit of a price difference. Initially I will be jamming/rehearsing so the the 300W of the combo will be fine and if need be I can add the cab later.

With the Head I would prob prefer owning an 8Ohm cab as it means I could add another to get the full 500W if need be. That would increase the cost, by quite a bit.

Finally, there were concerns from users that the tweeter on the Combo was annoying. It's quite divided opinion as a lot of people swear by this little amp.

Any advice welcomed :-)

Thanks,
C
[/quote]

I was one of the ones complaining about the tweeter... it's a very small issue, I did not do anything about mine in the end, so don't worry about it really. You can improve it. BUt it's not a *need*.
I no longer have my combo because I found small very light cabs (TKS S112) that work very well for me, as I also have the LM3 head, and the cabs have more depth than the small combo did with just a little extra size. So, I'd say head plus cab is my favourite option. It's a bit more hassle (cables, can't easily tilt it etc) but it gives a bigger sound and with two cabs it's even better. The little combo was a great tool, easy to just show up, plug in and play. With the addition of a tiny tilted stand the tiny combo was a fantastic onstage monitor. BUt I'd go for head + cab for max versatility

MB 102 combo and then buy another 210 when the time allows.
Or a 112 to go under the combo if modular.
Not so much a fan of MB 112 I've heard so I'd avoid the 112 combo, but
if you like this idea...you need to try it.

Personally, I'd be looking at seperates but that adds to the cost.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461943031' post='3039000']
Have to say, I`ve always been very impressed when hearing Markbass amps through Barefaced cabs, the two seem to really work well together. Never had that set-up myself, but every time I`ve heard that particular pairing I`ve thought it was great.
[/quote]

LM3 + BF Big Baby2 is pretty sweet. And HUGE.
LM3 + BF Compact, very big bottom end, it sounded good but not as good as the BB2.
LM3 + TKS S112 is nicer sounding but not as big. Very tight bottom end. Love it. My current favourite compact solution.
LM3 + TKS 1126... very sweet, very big. A bit scooped, but it works well with the tight sound of the LM3.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1461965067' post='3039272']
Combo is great value compared with a LIII and separate 121 NY cab.
[/quote]

what we need is an easy way to take the head in and out of the combos!

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1461967431' post='3039297']
I also have a Micromark 801 which is my home practice amp.
[/quote]

Say hello to daddy. This is my home practice amp, two NY804's. I have never run it full throttle, as I'm afraid it would bring down the ceiling. Yep, my neighbours hate my guts... :D

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:209234]

Back on topic: get separates. Buy a 102 @ 8 Ohms now, add a second one later on. Moves a serious amount of air. Have you considered buying used?

For that money you could get a much better cab. The Barefaced Four10, Super Compact and BB2 cabs would kill any MB cabs.

If you want an MB rig I'd always get separates then you can easily upgrade later. Also I'd start with 1 Standard 102HF. Larger cab than the traveller and better tone IMO.

Hey modelreject.

Regarding chris_b post above. I have a Barefaced BB2 and a Super Midget and I'm in Belfast. Get in touch by PM if you want to hear them. (They are NOT for sale though. :))

And chris_b is correct in that the Barefaced cabs do outperform the Markbass cabs for volume and tone, although tone is subjective.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead