Why become a member? ×

First time in 30 years

grumpyguts

My last time out in front of an audience was 1986 at Esher College, that was till last night. Approx ten mins and three songs at a blues jam night in Ascot.

Sitting and waiting for our go was a bit of a struggle, particularly as all the other players were excellent; our guitarist was a concerned soul. I kept thinking that what little I did know would escape me as soon as I got up there.

Going from just playing at home to joining a band is one step, taking this to a audience is another. Everything sounds different, I couldn't hear what I was doing as clearly as I would like and the vocals were not as loud on stage as we are used to in the practice room.

However I think it went quite well, a couple of ladies started to dance - well it was quite late by then..

Will be doing it again I hope, just got to think of a band name.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1461922305' post='3038712']
Rehearsals are no substitute for gig experience and it won't be long until it will all feel very natural.
[/quote]

So true. Lots of rehearsal only makes you good at rehearsing. Lots of gigs makes you good at doing gigs. :)

Edited by discreet

Glad it went well, my first gig was a nightmare, the support bands bass player never showed up, they asked me if I'd do it and I said yes, 40 mins of hell... Never knew any of the songs, no chords written down I was just watching the rhythm guitarists hands... Oooh shudder, never again.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1461921096' post='3038704']
Will be doing it again I hope, just got to think of a band name.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461921470' post='3038706']
I suggest 'The Chapel Hat Pegs'. :D
[/quote]

What a stand-out idea!

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1461921096' post='3038704']
My last time out in front of an audience was 1986 at Esher College, that was till last night. Approx ten mins and three songs at a blues jam night in Ascot.

[/quote]

Well done for finding the bottle! Nowt like playing with others in the real world.

Was that at Jagz? Played there a number of times - always a good vibe and I think some of the members of my former band frequent their blues and acoustic nights.