Why become a member? ×

Doug Wimbush/Premier Guitar Rig Rundown (2016)

NancyJohnson

It's always good to see the actual guitar or bass player running through their rig and not palming off the interview to their tech.

Great rig rundown, I really enjoyed it, and good fun. The interviewer didn't have to do an awful lot, Doug was brilliant... 'bendy pedals' :)

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1461966200' post='3039284']
As interesting as ever. Living Colour are on tour in the UK at the end of this year. I've just bought tickets for Newcastle so I'll be checking out the set up first hand if I can get close enough.
[/quote]

With Glenn Hughes :o

Trying to get someone to go to this gig with so I'm not a Norman no mates

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1462028370' post='3039764']
I have a lot of time for these guys. Saw LC in the nineties just after Doug had taken over. Excellent. But...
Vernon Reid's endorsee whore waffle about PRS... and Doug blasting straight into another guitar distortion sound... :unsure:
[/quote]

The Ishibashi video explains the PRS situation pretty well; Vernon doesn't diss on Parker Guitars...he just says that the team he dealt with at Parker were effectively pushed out of the company and his relationship deteriorated as a consequnce. He was still very positive about Parker.

The PRS thing came about via the introduction of Vernon to Paul Reed Smith from the (Australian) English speaking representative at Ishibashi (the guy who fronts their English speaking videos). It all seems fairly genuine. Mr Reid has always struck me as really nice, passionate and genuine bloke...he might waffle and there may be some corporate loving going on, but I'd find it difficult to quantify this as whoring!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1462031189' post='3039808']
The Ishibashi video explains the PRS situation pretty well; Vernon doesn't diss on Parker Guitars...he just says that the team he dealt with at Parker were effectively pushed out of the company and his relationship deteriorated as a consequnce. He was still very positive about Parker.

The PRS thing came about via the introduction of Vernon to Paul Reed Smith from the (Australian) English speaking representative at Ishibashi (the guy who fronts their English speaking videos). It all seems fairly genuine. Mr Reid has always struck me as really nice, passionate and genuine bloke...he might waffle and there may be some corporate loving going on, but I'd find it difficult to quantify this as whoring!
[/quote]Fair point, maybe I was a bit harsh. I get a bit of a reaction to people who can afford stuff in the first place and companies who indulge them. FWIW I think he's a decent guy too.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1462035356' post='3039852']
Fair point, maybe I was a bit harsh. I get a bit of a reaction to people who can afford stuff in the first place and companies who indulge them. FWIW I think he's a decent guy too.
[/quote]

While I'm certain that there's loads of uber-rich musicians, conversely I suspect a lot of these musicians have very little. Hell, if any manufacturer/builder offered to build you something, you'd be a knob to turn it down!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1462050932' post='3039986']
While I'm certain that there's loads of uber-rich musicians, conversely I suspect a lot of these musicians have very little. Hell, if any manufacturer/builder offered to build you something, you'd be a knob to turn it down!
[/quote]You're quite right. I guess if Fender approached me one day..... no, that's ridiculous.

I've been very lucky to interview Doug. I came away that day with a new friend. Genuine genuine guy who has stayed in touch. The camera team who video'd the day said that it was the best interview they'd ever worked on. I can't take too much credit for that, Doug was just superb!

We played swapsies too - I played his lovely Spectors and Doug has made my Shuker custom sing!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1462054738' post='3040021']
I've been very lucky to interview Doug. I came away that day with a new friend. Genuine genuine guy who has stayed in touch. The camera team who video'd the day said that it was the best interview they'd ever worked on. I can't take too much credit for that, Doug was just superb!

We played swapsies too - I played his lovely Spectors and Doug has made my Shuker custom sing!
[/quote]

I've heard on TB that Spector do not give their endorsing artists any basses for free. Any truth in this do you know?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1462055448' post='3040025']

I've heard on TB that Spector do not give their endorsing artists any basses for free. Any truth in this do you know?
[/quote]

An artist of XYZ brand I suppose could receive an instrument in a case where no physical cash changed hands. However, an 'endorsement' should be a mutually beneficial business agreement for both parties - I.e, artist should be expected to 'pay' for that instrument via other avenues - be it videos, reviews, advertising etc etc. So, in that respect, no I think it unlikely Spector 'give away' instruments. This isn't unusual either. It's the business we're in.

Well, to put it in a different light and maybe not necessarily speak for Spector specifically; companies *can* leave artist endorsement 'agreements' in the hands of local distributors. For many reasons too, oh and I know of at least one brand based in the US that doesn't officially recognise it's UK.artists, so the Uk 'branch' decide what their artists get.

[/quote]

Doug says this in the current video. They gave him a loaner, he bought the amber one he uses all the time.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1461925964' post='3038757']
Aye, saw that yesterday. It's a fun couple of interviews. Vernon's guitar rig is insane.
[/quote]

I know, no way could I deal with a set up like that, I don't have that kind of aptitude.

Blue

[/quote]

This is true. With Spector, everyone has to buy their bass, though endorsed artists pay a reduced (pre-retail/tax) price.
Warwick giving away basses for free was one of the reasons Rex took the bait and left....