Why become a member? ×

Bass tutor wanted North Shropshire area

zbd1960

Thanks guys - yes I've found Scott already :) @Grangur you're right - there are some round here, not many. There is one in the town where I live, and he had not replied to my enquiries. After that I'm looking at 15 - 25 miles for the next nearest. One has fobbed me off for several weeks and then cancelled at the last minute. Another at least replied but decided he didn't want to continue. I think I was more experienced than he was used ot teaching...

I have made contact today with a teacher in Wales about 15 miles from here... Hopefully seeing him next week.

I sort of expect that teachers for sax and cello might be thin on the ground and I might face having to travel 25 miles or more to Chester or Shrewsbury or Telford or worse, but I thought guitars would be easier!

Had a trial lesson with a guy over in Wrexham - that's only about 14 miles from here, so pretty local really. The guy has a full-blown recording studio as well... Lots and lots of toys... this could be very bad for my wallet. He like smy bass which is good news...

• 2 months later...

Update time...

I have had weekly lessons for a couple of months as noted above. But I think I will move on. He tends to run 2 or 3 people simultaneously in separate rooms. I get two minutes of attention whilst he 'shows' me something, e.g. B minor scale linked to D major, put on a backing track and leaves me to it. Pops in a few times and 'says 'wow - you've nailed that...'.

Am I expecting too much? I'd rather pay more for fewer lessons one-to-one.

This is getting to be very disheartening. I've been looking for ones nearer to work (mid-Cheshire) and there's plenty around south Manchester/Stockport area, which is around 15 miles from the office, so not too bad, the killer is the 45 - 50 miles home.

Welcome any suggestions for Chester/south Cheshire (Sandbach/Crewe/Nantwich/Audlem), Wrexham area, north Shropshire (Oswestry/Whitchurch/Wem/Prees/Market Drayton)

• 2 months later...

After a couple of months with the lessons you have under your belt I would say get yourself into a band. At the same time use Scott's (and others') lessons if the price is right (do not spend big bucks). In many ways progress is much faster these days, Youtube is your friend. Then again I spent a lot of time listening to singles and LPs to figure out what I was hearing (no internet then) which I now think was invaluable experience - automaticity between ears and hands (and even correctly some of the time....)

Edited by 3below