Why become a member? ×

Roadworn jazz pick up options.

jonnythenotes

It's probably a much asked question, but have any of you guys switched from standard production p'ups to after market makes and been super chuffed you did it. I have a Fender road worn jazz, which I am totaly blown away with, but because its so good, I want more... Everything about the bass is perfect, including the sound and frequencies it covers, but I keep reading, and being drawn to articles and companies saying we can make it better. Is there a pick up our there that will not change the sound of the bass, but give it a lift across the existing freq's, (but not like an active bass which adds stuff,) just a bit more muscle doing exactly the same as the existing p'ups. I would be really keen on something that gives you the initial power and thump as you hit the string. I'm not too fussed about top end or sustain, but super clean and warm mids are essential......(sort of bass drum'ish in its delivery and impact. It's a mix of Soul, Motown and Funk I play, but no slap... A few seem to surface frequently as being pretty decent, Nordy's, Aguilar, Seymore Duncan's, Lolar, Bart's, and even the Fender range themselves,but the more I read, the more confused I get, as all the manufacturers are experts at blowing their own trumpets. Budget up to about £200 max for new, but no manufacturers logo on the units. The whole idea is for them to look and sound original and authentic to a Roadworn Jazz, Early 60's. Once again, sorry to ask what is bound to have been asked before, but all help and advice will be gratefully recieved. Thanks..

That's my biggest fear Cosmo..... changing them just because I can, and without any justifiable reason. You have already got me thinkin 'have I lost my marbles?' I have asked the question, and will see what folks come back with....but I think I'm in for some stick about my sanity... Cheers Cosmo the wise...

I think it's pretty normal around these parts to want for something better from your gear... even if what you already have does exactly what you want :blink:

... I love the tone of my amp and cab setup, but I still find myself looking at Glockenklang 210s wondering if they would be better than my berg... I've no idea why as I love the berg :blink:

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1461936682' post='3038930']
Everything about the bass is perfect, including the sound and frequencies it covers.
[/quote]

I think you've answered your own question there. If it ain't broke don't fix it - and save yourself the time, money, angst and grief. Roadworns are great basses just the way they are, forget about upgrading it and enjoy playing it!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1461939453' post='3038962']
I love the tone of my amp and cab setup, but I still find myself looking at Glockenklang 210s wondering if they would be better than my berg... I've no idea why as I love the berg :blink:
[/quote]

You sir, have far too much time and money on your hands! :lol:
Whereas I just have far too much time on my hands. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1461936682' post='3038930'] I would be really keen on something that gives you the initial power and thump as you hit the string. I'm not too fussed about top end or sustain, but super clean and warm mids are essential......(sort of bass drum'ish in its delivery and impact.
[/quote]

[IMG]https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/149846/6692410_800.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461939519' post='3038963']
I think you've answered your own question there. If it ain't broke don't fix it - and save yourself the time, money, angst and grief. Roadworns are great basses just the way they are, forget about upgrading it and enjoy playing it!
[/quote]

I agree...however this forum is great for convincing us that the grass is greener...

I also own a Roadworn Jazz, and it's an amazing bass. I did like the sound of the pickups in it, but at the time I wanted just a bit more output, and perhaps a little more "bite", without losing the vintage vibe of the stock pickups.

I placed a wanted ad on a local facbook bass group, and got hold of an old pair of DiMarzio Jazz pickups
They are absolutely brilliant! They still retain that vintage tone, but they have a huge output for passive pickups, and they're very punchy.
So if you can get hold of some old DiMarzio's - give them a try. Or perhaps some pickups from an old 70's Japan built bass?

You could also try a pair of Entwistle JBXN pickups. I have one in each of 2 P/J's I've got. I really like them.

Alternatively, as Cosmo Valdemar says, the stock pickups are nice
maybe you could think about pepping them up, with a bass preamp pedal? - Just a thought....

I`ve just sold a 2012 US Jazz and the pickups in that were really nice. Only thing is, I`ve never heard or played a RW Jazz so can`t say of they`re better or not. Being Custom Shop pickups you would think so, but given how highly everyone who has one seems to rate the RWs, possibly not.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1461936682' post='3038930']
It's probably a much asked question, but have any of you guys switched from standard production p'ups to after market makes and been super chuffed you did it. I have a Fender road worn jazz, which I am totaly blown away with, but because its so good, I want more... Everything about the bass is perfect, including the sound and frequencies it covers, but I keep reading, and being drawn to articles and companies saying we can make it better. Is there a pick up our there that will not change the sound of the bass, but give it a lift across the existing freq's, (but not like an active bass which adds stuff,) just a bit more muscle doing exactly the same as the existing p'ups. I would be really keen on something that gives you the initial power and thump as you hit the string. I'm not too fussed about top end or sustain, but super clean and warm mids are essential......(sort of bass drum'ish in its delivery and impact. It's a mix of Soul, Motown and Funk I play, but no slap... A few seem to surface frequently as being pretty decent, Nordy's, Aguilar, Seymore Duncan's, Lolar, Bart's, and even the Fender range themselves,but the more I read, the more confused I get, as all the manufacturers are experts at blowing their own trumpets. Budget up to about £200 max for new, but no manufacturers logo on the units. The whole idea is for them to look and sound original and authentic to a Roadworn Jazz, Early 60's. Once again, sorry to ask what is bound to have been asked before, but all help and advice will be gratefully recieved. Thanks..
[/quote]

DiMarzio Area J.
Humbuckers but retain a lot of the classic J... with some balls.