Why become a member? ×

Overloud Mark Studio amp sim

Mornats

Has anyone used the Overloud Mark Studio amp sim? It's on sale at half price over at Time+Space and as a MarkBass CMD121P user I was interested. However they only seem to have their tube heads in there and not their solid state ones so I can't replicate my combo. I have Ampeg SVX and Guitar Rig 5 Pro so not sure if this would give me anything extra, or anything like my real MB gear.

On a related note, I usually take a DI out of my combo (essentially a Little Mark III) when I record. Am I right in thinking that this will replicate the sound (minus the cab and any mic setup) anyway?

I've downloaded the demo twice now...and both times ditched in favour of Ampeg SVX. I also have Guitar Rig 5 and I think it is decent but not as good as Ampeg SVX.

The Markbass Studio is just a bit characterless for me. But others love it, so I guess YMMV.

I cannot answer your final question, apologies.

Edited by funkle

I've been using it since it came out many years ago, you should be able to find your combo in there no problem. For me it's much more useable than SVX which I find really over the top and a bit hamfisted unless you like a harsh SVT pick tone, but it really depends on what you're after. I found with both the novelty wore off after a while and I just preferred the direct sound of the bass with no plugins of any kind. All these plugins are just approximations of the real thing, so you don't get the way they actually behave dynamically, you just get a snapshot of their signature tone. But with the Markbass that tone is really nice and works beautifully in a mix.

Well I tried the demo in standalone mode, selected my Forte soundcard as the device and it blasted a massive amount of feedback and static through my headphones. So I'll give this one a miss I think. Never had an amp sim do that before.