Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

Usually its down to other members not getting along.
Other reasons :-
control freaks
change of direction in band
unrealistic expectations to learn new songs
too many gigs (2 per week every weekend - just a bit too many for me)
work commitments
family commitments

forgot to add others not learning songs.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...

General ass-holery... Like the guy "leading" a band with two female singers (one former pro) recruiting rock players like myself, but insisting on playing mostly stereophonics songs. With two female singers. Who sing 80s ballads beautifully. Who don't sound right singing stereophonics songs. The strength of that band was the singers, all we needed was to play songs within a genre that suited them and it could have been very good.

Constant chopping and changing of set list to the point you never get a settled list of what to play. Arguing over new songs to play all the time. Not having a consistent "theme" in the songs... With covers bands I always find an audience needs to know what they're getting otherwise "vague witty band name" playing jailhouse rock and then Adele just confuses people and prevents them sticking around. Not respecting other peoples opinions is a big one too. If I suggest a song I think will work it's ok to disagree, I'm fine with that, but to be abusive time and time again is just not worth my time.

Having a singer who walks around spitting and a guitarist who cannot play in time was my reason to leave a biker band years back. No regrets there

Guitarist and singer turning up drunk for rehearsal and getting more and more pissed while you've paid for the room was also a factor in one swift exit!

Over the years I have found these to be my main reasons.

1, cash
2, ammitur attitudes
3, listening to time wasters learn the songs in the practice room,
4, sh!t drummer.
5, character clashes
6, no future
7, no control over playing, guitar always on 11, drummer leathering his kit.
8, stale set no longer fun to play.
9, no gigs, practicing forever.
10, better band offer.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1462900765' post='3046837']
The guitarist having no idea that the volume knob on his amp could actually be turned anticlockwise.
Half-arsedness ("oh, that'll be ok, we can just busk it") which translates as "I can't be bothered to learn this song properly.
The guitarist's predilection for Bon Jovi.
Booking gigs without making sure everyone else is available for it.
[/quote]

Not a lot going right with that one, then..?

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1463900357' post='3054754']
Over the years I have found these to be my main reasons.

1, cash
2, ammitur attitudes
3, listening to time wasters learn the songs in the practice room,
4, sh!t drummer.
5, character clashes
6, no future
7, no control over playing, guitar always on 11, drummer leathering his kit.
8, stale set no longer fun to play.
9, no gigs, practicing forever.
10, better band offer.
[/quote]

Also reasons not to join a band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463925714' post='3055004']

Not a lot going right with that one, then..?
[/quote]
Great guys in that band, no problems personality-wise, I suppose a difference in standards is what killed it for me.

After looking at these responses, the main reason guys quit bands is because it was a band they never should have joined in the first place.

Most of the stories in this thread evolve around very short lived projects.

Also the biggest reasons bands break up or people quit is no gigs. IMO

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1464217311' post='3057738']
No input.
Alcoholic singer.
Being the only one interested in gig hunting.
Being sent a supplementary list of songs straight after passing the audition - I don't like The Arctic Monkeys.
[/quote]

I have no problem playing Artic Monkeys, as long as I'm paid. I'll even have fun playing them.

Blue

We were doing Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols last night. Its the first time I have played the song with this band. I'm pretty sure its in open G tuning, that's how they got the Stones rip off element just right. So I mentioned this to the guitarists as they were just doing it in standard tuning and it sounded 'off'. The reply? "I'm not tuning to open G, it takes too long". Apparently though, endless faffing around with pedal settings between songs is ok.

I'm out.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1464256235' post='3057900']
We were doing Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols last night. Its the first time I have played the song with this band. I'm pretty sure its in open G tuning, that's how they got the Stones rip off element just right. So I mentioned this to the guitarists as they were just doing it in standard tuning and it sounded 'off'. The reply? "I'm not tuning to open G, it takes too long". Apparently though, endless faffing around with pedal settings between songs is ok.

I'm out.
[/quote]

Interesting! I stopped my band trying to faff around with half step down tuning, it's just unnecessary and takes too long, plus the guitar doesn't stay in tune. Then you have to tune back to standard... I appreciate though open G creates a different feel, if there's a spare guitar then great tune that open G. If you aren't prepared to nail the feel of a cover you shouldnt play it IMO. It's the bloody mindedness to play favourite songs instead of thoughtfully construct a set list that works for the band and the audience that I see time and again with covers bands

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1464258933' post='3057936']

Interesting! I stopped my band trying to faff around with half step down tuning, it's just unnecessary and takes too long, plus the guitar doesn't stay in tune. Then you have to tune back to standard... I appreciate though open G creates a different feel, if there's a spare guitar then great tune that open G. If you aren't prepared to nail the feel of a cover you shouldnt play it IMO. It's the bloody mindedness to play favourite songs instead of thoughtfully construct a set list that works for the band and the audience that I see time and again with covers bands
[/quote]

I get what you mean about tuning down half a step, I'm not convinced that is necessary. The open G has a 'sound' though doesn't it? I am annoyed about their acceptance of just doing it half baked, it sounded bad!!

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1464258933' post='3057936']
If you aren't prepared to nail the feel of a cover you shouldn't play it IMO. It's the bloody mindedness to play favourite songs instead of thoughtfully construct a set list that works for the band and the audience that I see time and again with covers bands.
[/quote]

Plus about a billion. Prioritise the songs and the people who are going to hear them. All else is irrelevant in a covers band.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1464217311' post='3057738']
Being sent a supplementary list of songs straight after passing the audition - I don't like The Arctic Monkeys.
[/quote]

I don't like the arctic monkeys, but we do one of their songs, I don't mind it as its our version.

I'm out.
[/quote]

I'd probably just bin the song if they really couldn't get the essence of it... but the pedal business seems like there can be too many little things that all add up..
Basically, if someone is killing the gig in any way, best to cut your losses if you feel there are alternatives.

I got hold of mp3's of the Arctic Monkeys songs they wanted to do.
I sat down to work them out and found them utterly unlistenable. The kind of dumb music I really despise.
I never got to the end of a single song.

I emailed the band and asked if the Arctic Monkeys songs were deal-breakers.
They were, so I passed on the band. I have never heard of them since.

I'm out.
[/quote]

On a similar note, my wife left a band because the bassist changed basses between every song. Her pet hate was to the fretless, when his intonation was woeful.

I tried to quit the current band mainly cos of the drummer, but was encouraged by the singer and guitarist to stay and to sit down and have a chat with the drummer about what was up with his drumming (I was the only one he might have listened to). I did that, he took a huff and left, we got a new drummer and now we're happy again :)

The moral of the story for me is that avoiding difficult conversations doesn't help anyone.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464285047' post='3058220']

I'd probably just bin the song if they really couldn't get the essence of it... but the pedal business seems like there can be too many little things that all add up..
Basically, if someone is killing the gig in any way, best to cut your losses if you feel there are alternatives.
[/quote]

It feels like it will be the first of many niggles, once you get annoyed by one thing then other things seem to follow.

I think my problem is that I played with the same group of top quality musicians for around 20 years, we were together in many different lineups but the core people were always the same. As life circumstances change (kids, careers, moving away) that core group disbanded. Now anything less than that standard is difficult for me to cope with long term. It's not just playing levels either, its the attention to details and approach to rehearsals. I am meticulous and I hear everything in a song, which means I notice when others have 'missed' something.

I suppose I have to decide why I want to be in a band (there is potential thread there!) and find a group of musicians that I trust and all want the same thing. Not easy!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1464349035' post='3058691']
Now anything less than that standard is difficult for me to cope with long term. It's not just playing levels either, its the attention to details and approach to rehearsals. I am meticulous and I hear everything in a song, which means I notice when others have missed something.
[/quote]

I'm just the same and have been accused of wanting the moon on a stick. Fair comment, there can be a stage at which you either need to compromise or just give up playing. But I've found a group of people who are passionate, pro-level players, reliable, sober, punctual and on the same page when it comes to gigs and rehearsals. Really not easy to find. My compromise is this: The genre we play is not one that I would normally be interested in or listen to - but the positives far outweigh the negatives and I'm enjoying myself. So there you go.

Edited by discreet

I was the same for a few years. The one thing I couldn't understand was how a band of relatively inept musicians could get a place leaping about.

1. Have a frontman who welcomes the audience. Forget if he can sing or not. He needs to be larger than life and ooze confidence.
2. Play songs with confidence. Spend longer getting tight and ignore whether the guitarist should be playing with a Fender or a Gibson etc. That is only important to the guitarist and his obsessive mate at the bar at the back of the room.
3. Be polite to everyone and behave like a professional.

That's it really. If one of those things are missing you're going to find it hard to get gigs. Everything else is window dressing.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464363246' post='3058882']
I was the same for a few years. The one thing I couldn't understand was how a band of relatively inept musicians could get a place leaping about.

1. Have a frontman who welcomes the audience. Forget if he can sing or not. He needs to be larger than life and ooze confidence.
2. Play songs with confidence. Spend longer getting tight and ignore whether the guitarist should be playing with a Fender or a Gibson etc. That is only important to the guitarist and his obsessive mate at the bar at the back of the room.

That's it really. If one of those things are missing you're going to find it hard to get gigs. Everything else is window dressing.
[/quote]

Most 'nailed it' post ever!!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464363246' post='3058882']

[/quote]

Gigging is all about everyone having fun. There's no place for attitude or drama.

Here's my big 3;

1.When someone asks you to do something say yes. You might not like it but say yes anyway.

2. Show up on time. If your late for a gig who knows what they will think of you if your not on time.

3. Don't complain. Nobody likes it.

Blue

Edited by blue