Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

I left a band because they were very loud at rehearsals which meant nobody could hear just how awful one of the guitarists was.

I left a band because there was a definite band leader who was a control freak and sucked the joy out of everything. He meant well but... didn't go about it the best way.

I left another band because I said "please don't do X, it really annoys me". Singer proceeded to do X thinking it funny. I said "don't do X". Next he did it onstage where he knew I could not respond... So that was it really. We played one more gig I had booked and I left and the band never played again.

The three bands I'm with now, I've been with them for 7 years, 5 years, and just over 1 year... it's looking good for these.

[quote name='DJpullchord' timestamp='1505591628' post='3373096']
Being asked to play a cover! Like painting by numbers innit.
[/quote]

I'd totally get sacked if I refused to play covers and couldn't manage to paint well by numbers!

But I agree, it's [i]such[/i] a chore having to play great tracks written by some of the best song-smiths on the planet with some talented musicians to an audience who are having a great night out, rather than the undoubtedly "wonderful stuff" written by a band mate and sung a by a vocalist, who thinks he can sing, to an unappreciative audience for no money... :P

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1505595015' post='3373117']

I'd totally get sacked if I refused to play covers and couldn't manage to paint well by numbers!

But I agree, it's [i]such[/i] a chore having to play great tracks written by some of the best song-smiths on the planet with some talented musicians to an audience who are having a great night out, rather than the undoubtedly "wonderful stuff" written by a band mate and sung a by a vocalist, who thinks he can sing, to an unappreciative audience for no money... :P
[/quote]

It's sad, but I agree. Thing is there is good original material out there. Just not much and very hard to find.

I'm always blown away by good original material from unknowns.

Blue

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505645745' post='3373292']
Festivals.
There are some exceptions, but I find being at UK festivals a generally vile experience.
When the band leader declared that the way forward was playing at festivals it was time to move on.
[/quote]

Fair and festival gigs in The States are great. Usually you play half the time of a bar gig and your pay is doubled. And the weather is usually great.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505660061' post='3373392']

Fair and festival gigs in The States are great. Usually you play half the time of a bar gig and your pay is doubled. And the weather is usually great.

Blue
[/quote]

From what I understand Blue, your state and county fairs have a reasonably long history and take place in proper show grounds with decent infrastructure.
There are lot iof festivals in the UK that have sprung up in the last 20 or so years and have, in my opinion, poor quality facilities and organisation.
Also, in my experience, if you're not fairly high up the bill you won't get a cash payment. The 'fee' is free entry for the whole festival. Which puts a different light on things.
Although, I agree with you, set times are often short plus PA, lights and backline is usually supplied.

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505672526' post='3373486']

From what I understand Blue, your state and county fairs have a reasonably long history and take place in proper show grounds with decent infrastructure.
There are lot iof festivals in the UK that have sprung up in the last 20 or so years and have, in my opinion, poor quality facilities and organisation.
Also, in my experience, if you're not fairly high up the bill you won't get a cash payment. The 'fee' is free entry for the whole festival. Which puts a different light on things.
Although, I agree with you, set times are often short plus PA, lights and backline is usually supplied.
[/quote]

Yes the Midwest has a long history of fairs, state fairs and county fairs. All evolved out of the agricultural base here.

I actually grew up in New Jersey, no real presence of fairs there.

Blue

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505645745' post='3373292']
Festivals.
There are some exceptions, but I find being at UK festivals a generally vile experience.
When the band leader declared that the way forward was playing at festivals it was time to move on.
[/quote]

Interesting,over here in the Midwest Bands can't wait till Festival and fair season. The poorly run would be the the exception.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505750042' post='3374011']

Interesting,over here in the Midwest Bands can't wait till Festival and fair season. The poorly run would be the the exception.

Blue
[/quote]

To be fair, I think I might be in the minority amongst gigging musicians in not enjoying festivals.

[quote name='Hellzero' timestamp='1505638159' post='3373231']
Getting bored and playing every weekend for peanuts were always the main reasons.
[/quote]

We don't have pub gigs over here. I think our bar gigs are a little more lucrative then your pub gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1505750213' post='3374012']

To be fair, I think I might be in the minority amongst gigging musicians in not enjoying festivals.
[/quote]

We're all different.

We all come into music from different places, geographically, time periods, different ages and philosophically.

When I'm on a big stage at a festival I'm in heaven.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1505752708' post='3374033']

Me too, not that it happens much, but I like the outdoor back of a truck gig.

Do you think you have enough pedals there Blue?
[/quote]

My problem isn't the number of pedals, it's more learning how to use them effectively live.

I'm struggling with with my live application of effects pedals.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1505750286' post='3374014']

We don't have pub gigs over here. I think our bar gigs are a little more lucrative then your pub gigs.

Blue
[/quote]
From what I've seen Blue there's more similarities than differences. The main difference is the duration. In my neck of the woods a total playing time of about 1.5 to 2 hours between 9 and 12 is pretty typical.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1505755284' post='3374073']

From what I've seen Blue there's more similarities than differences. The main difference is the duration. In my neck of the woods a total playing time of about 1.5 to 2 hours between 9 and 12 is pretty typical.
[/quote]

Your probably right.

We play 4 hour nights for $500.00 and pub gigs are closer to 2 hours for $250.00. Pretty much the same

Blue

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1505755284' post='3374073']
[/quote]

ha - we do mini sets of 1.5 to 2 hour sometimes, known as 'oh its only a short set'. 3 hours is normal, beyond that I start getting a bit annoyed!