Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462004352' post='3039427']
I bet they were well pleased that you wasted their time.
[/quote]
We are all friends still. There were other reasons, time ,money , I wasn't allowed much creative input, they took on a drummer that I didn't think was right for the band , I didn't think it was going anywhere. I was with them for nearly a year, they are still going.

When you've played alongside a very good drummer for some years he's very hard to replace. A drummer, who you just key with in makes playing such a pleasure and lifts the quality of the music. He/she can make or break a band.

That and old age, the lifting and shifting at 1am when it's raining etc.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1462006392' post='3039464']
Age difference: if you're older it won't work if youngest member is less than half your age + 6 years. eg if you're 42 youngest member should be 27.

Luckydog's law of band age ;)

And vica versa !

LD
[/quote]

We must be the exception that proves the rule then - oldest 57, youngest 17, and it is working so much better than when the previous 50+ year old left to be replaced by the 17 year old!

1x singer with alcohol issues - never knew if he would turn up or in what state. Obviously performance suffered too

1x guitarist that could never end a solo without the rest of the band shouting "for f***s sake stop"

1x keyboard/band leader who after nearly 3 years of weekly rehearsal still thought it was a bit soon to start thinking about booking gigs

Apart from those though, I've been in 2 bands for the last 30 odd years, same line up apart from the drummer (who over the course of 10 years turned from a nice chap into an egotistical and spiteful t**t!) The new one is cool :)

Edited by Norris

Interesting one this , my reason for quiting my last band was Lionel Richie ,all night long + singer / guitarist can't keep his guitar in tune and can't Change his own string what sort person can't change their own strings and I pissed him off by playing guitar better than him but he couldn't do the same with my bass ,ha ha

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1462006276' post='3039460']
When you've played alongside a very good drummer for some years he's very hard to replace. A drummer, who you just key with in makes playing such a pleasure and lifts the quality of the music. He/she can make or break a band.
[/quote]

One of the first bands I ever played in had one of the best drummers ever, he made everything so easy. Of course being a spoilt brat I didn't realise it at the time and took him for granted. Almost every other drummer I've played with in the intervening decades has been found wanting. A mediocre drummer makes the job of bass playing so much harder than it needs to be.

Edited by discreet

I was asked to join a band to replace their existing bass player who was unreliable. They used to pool the money to buy new kit for whoever needed it. I'd just bought a new rig and it was agreed that I'd just have my share in cash as I didn't need anything else. At some point, the singer, who was a bit of a control freak had decided that, because I wasn't one of the originals, he'd treat me as a hired hand and started paying me and the sax player less than the others. It was some months before I found out. It all blew up after a gig that the sax man had organised so he knew exactly what we were being paid. When challenged he admitted it. He fired me and I resigned at exactly the same moment.

Another was due to the excessively aggressive attitude of the guitarist who, when we were working in a new drummer and keyboard player used to rant and shout at them if they made a mistake, even during gigs. He was hardly whiter than white. One day I just decided out and left. Interestingly my replacement was heard to say "that it was the most stressful band he'd ever played in".

Finally a start-up that never got off the ground. A dodgy set list, two rehearsals then the singer says that her partner who was going to help obtain gigs was going to get an equal split of the money. Hmmm.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1462004689' post='3039431']
We are all friends still. There were other reasons, time ,money , I wasn't allowed much creative input, they took on a drummer that I didn't think was right for the band , I didn't think it was going anywhere. I was with them for nearly a year, they are still going.
[/quote]
Fairy nuff. Definite grounds for leaving then, not just spurned affections! :D

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1461971909' post='3039330']
People inviting their mates to join without asking the rest of us.
[/quote]

This was what happened in the last band I joined.

I had reservations about doing it anyway, but somebody recommended me so I went along to meet the drummer & guitarist & we got along very well & all seemed to want to do the same thing.
Turn up to the first practice and there is somebody else there, a "Keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist" who was pretty terrible at playing all of them.
It quickly became apparent that as well as having a huge ego he was also a passive aggressive little bastard who enjoyed nothing more than sh*t stirring at every available opportunity.
I quit about four weeks into it & vowed never to get involved in any musical project with anyone ever again.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1462017060' post='3039621']
For me, it is always 'i don't like the music'. The reason I don't like the music may be different but the fundamental problem is always the same.
[/quote]

That's inspired me to write a song. I'm going to call it, 'Thank you for the music - but I didn't like it very much'. ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1462017060' post='3039621']
For me, it is always 'i don't like the music'. The reason I don't like the music may be different but the fundamental problem is always the same.
[/quote]

Funnily enough this is exactly the same reason people always give for hating jazz. :D

my last one was after an argument that the singer sang everything like Brian Johnson and I mean evrything! which would have been fair enough in an AC DC tribute but we werent, it was cringe worthy and as the rest of the band were best mates with each other i walked.....regrets given = 0

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1462020257' post='3039657']
That's nothing, I learnt bloody Finnish for the same reason!
[/quote]

She must have been worth it then, you don't learn Finnish in a hurry. I was married to a Finn for a while, I didn't actually learn the language because she was a right pain in the ass.

Edited by discreet

All Finnish women are completely mad, it's a simple fact. Except for the few that haven't gone mad. Yet.

But they will.

I ended up shacked with one who spoke much better English than my Finnish could ever be. But....she was mad too. They all are.

For the most part, I've usually played in bands until they reach their natural conclusion. At one stage a couple of years ago I was in three bands - I got a "Dear John" email from one, and I quit the other two due to stuff going on in my personal life around the same time.

Took a couple of years off, worked on my playing, and have recently got involved in the formation of a new band, which I'm really looking forward to.