Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

Okay, this may have been done before.
Reasons why you have quit bands -

Mine are

1) the drummer not learning the songs
2) the guitarist not learning the songs
3) the guitarists girlfriend going Yoko.

Aside from these, money and power struggles are the usual!

Edited by interpol52

The keys player telling the durmer to strike the beat at the right time to the singers lyrics.
I just couldn't see that the guy had a grasp of the fundamentals of music.

That and being told to only play roots of chords, the keys player would play the bass line.

My most recent band was a 90's Britpop act. The drummer seemed to play what he remembered of the song from 20 years ago. Each week it would be the same mistakes in the same place. Trouble is, he thought he was amazing! He was a classic case of all the gear no idea. Custom made DW kit and zero talent.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1461956375' post='3039174']
Okay, this may have been done before.
Reasons why you have quit bands -

Mine are

1) the drummer not learning the songs
2) the guitarist not learning the songs
3) the guitarists girlfriend going Yoko.

Aside from these, money and power struggles are the usual!
[/quote]

My usual ones were:

- control-freakery, usually a singer

- unreliability: when members are supposed to show up but cancel for no apparent reason at the last minute and nobody is bothered much.

- and the biggest one: when people don't do their homework and we keep rehearsing the same old boring stuff, or jamming (fun but leading nowhere) instead of gigging

In the distant past I left because gigging was interfering with my going down the pub and getting drunk. The last 2 bands I`ve left were purely as I was no longer enjoying it, and rather stick around with a face like a smacked arse - or even more that usual maybe - I thought it better to leave rather than drag the rest of the band down, having seen in the past what that is like when someone clearly isn`t enjoying it anymore.

Oh, should also add, as soon as someone says "I`m not....." then that`s it, I`m out of there. Being in a band is about all of you, it`s ok to say I don`t think we should, or I`d rather not etc, but to come out and flatly say "I`m not (doing that gig/playing that song/getting to the gig at the time you`ve suggested etc) is essentially saying "your opinions don`t count, I`m more important than the rest of you, you do what I say and nothing else". At that point, I go. Had that in a band a few years ago and will never put up with it again.

Edited by Lozz196

I quit two bands for the one reason...people thinking that the rehearsal room was for [i]learning[/i]
the material. A bit frustrating when I have done [i]my[/i] home work.

In another band people simply did not give a damn. If they turned up at all for a rehearsal...it was late.

Life's too short for this sort of thing. :mellow:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1461959492' post='3039222']
I quit two bands for the one reason...people thinking that the rehearsal room was for [i]learning[/i]
the material. A bit frustrating when I have done [i]my[/i] home work
[/quote]

I remember teaching the guitarist how to play a song in my last band. This was after he had spent about 40 minutes setting up his new pedal board. It took 10 minutes to learn the song at home.

Do your homework!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1461959771' post='3039225']
I remember teaching the guitarist how to play a song in my last band. This was after he had spent about 40 minutes setting up his new pedal board. It took 10 minutes to learn the song at home.

Do your homework!
[/quote]

Yep...sounds familiar. ;)

If I think back over the bands I've actively left (as opposed to ones that have come to an end of their own accord), the reasons were as follows;

- The first one was due to a strange combination of control freakery and general unfriendliness by one band member who was generally considered the bandleader. We worked hard gigging and getting our sound together over the year or so I was in the band and built up a bit of a reputation, then when we were offered a gig that was a big step up from the ones we'd be doing, he announced that he was going to do the gig with his new solo project under our name. We also recorded an album where some of my parts were mixed right down to make way for overdubs that his current partner added, who had never gigged with the band and disdained to speak to most of us.

-The next was due to general stagnation, but also combined with discomfort at the creepiness of one band member towards women young enough to be his daughter. It was a pattern of behaviour I saw repeated several times, and while he didn't quite reach the stage of abusive behaviour it was still no fun to be around. Oddly, my wife picked up on it straight away and still almost bristles in his presence if we bump into him.

-The most recent was largely due to us having very different ideas about what sort of gigs we wanted to do and where we wanted to go with the band.

It occurs to me that the first two of these are the sort of situation where I should be careful about not naming names!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1461957241' post='3039183']
The grass appearing greener in the next band along.
[/quote]
[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1461957415' post='3039187']
Same sh!t different field?
[/quote]

Yes, I can smell it now :ph34r:

After a gig I came out of the venue with my amp and saw the guitarist speeding off in his car and the rest of the band looking at my car's rear bumper!
Apparently the lights had changed and he didn't have time to stick around to apologise for backing into me car.
Just one of many niggles we had with him but probably the straw.