Why become a member? ×

The game has changed...

scrumpymike

... and the game-changers are the emerging industrial economies like China. They now have the CNC-based equipment and manufacturing know-how to manufacture low-cost basses to consistently high quality standards, often designed and spec'd in Europe and the USA. I recently paid £300 for one of Scott Whitley's MIC short-scale basses and have just spent another £150 for a good luthier to modify the bass to suit my personal preferences. This involved converting to lighter-guage strings (including a beautiful new 'vintage bone' nut) and optimising the set-up for my playing style. For £450, I've now got a lightly-customised SWB-1 that suits me better than US-made basses I've owned costing more than twice the price. If my starting point had been, say, a cheaper Ibanez like the TMB30, then the cost saving would have been even greater. It seems to me that there's never been a stronger case for buying one of the many excellent cheap basses on offer and asking your friendly local luthier to work his magic.

New nut made from 'antique bone' to fit lighter-gauge strings; new set of A'addarios; repair to chipped lacquer at top of neck; too-high pups removed, recesses deepened, pups refitted; neck/bridge setup for lowest action to suit my playing style and correct intonation.

Not sure I'd count having the pickup cavities re-routed as 'light customising'. Was it just a case of getting a lower than low action, or were the strings originally clattering the pickups through normal use?

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1462005636' post='3039449']
Not sure I'd count having the pickup cavities re-routed as 'light customising'. Was it just a case of getting a lower than low action, or were the strings originally clattering the pickups through normal use?
[/quote]
No machining required, just removing too thick/dense foam from under the pups and replacing with springs (actually concertina-type rubber sleeves) under each screw. The strings weren't in direct contact with the pups but not parallel to them (or each other) and too far into the magnetic field.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1462011402' post='3039561']
Can you post a couple of photos of your new baby? :D
[/quote]

Will do!!

Hey Funky Dunky, here's your pics!

[url="http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/008%202_zpsz07doisl.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/011_zpsjezhyvim.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/007_zpsbjcl6xvz.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/003_zpspqg0chhr.jpg.html"][/url]

Just in case you're wondering, the ally contraption attached is something I've made to see how much difference moving the top strap button to the 12th fret 'sweet spot' makes. Balance and positioning are way better and hopefully it won't look so obvious when it gets its satin black finish.

It's not so much the game has changed just an example of Scott contracting a Chinese factory to build for a realistic price.

Chinese companies build to set unit prices so if they're told £25 is the limit then corners get cut. When Western companies then sell those for £300+ any faults get blamed
on the Chinese not on the real culprit. For some firms this is a deliberate business decision as it makes their other models look better.

More power to Scott for doing things right. Quite a few UK firms do the same,Chowny,Revelation & Retrovibe for example.

If £450 is all it cost you to have a bass just as you want it, well congratulations are in order. Great to hear from a happy SWB-1 owner as I wish Scott every success with his venture.

I don't think the game has changed either.

People like Scott and I are never going to be able to make - for instance - a jazz bass and compete with Squire. They make a solid instrument at an economy of scale that we could never HOPE to compete with.

What we can do - is fill up the niches with well thought out and soundly constructed instruments.

When making stuff in smaller runs, the things you'd cut to save money when manufacturing thousands, don't really matter. Want a bone nut? Sure why not. Doesn't affect my bottom line particularly much.

So with no distributors taking a margin, and doing our own distribution, it's perfectly feasible to make a musician friendly instrument at a good price and of good quality - as long as we work in the niches.

That's not to say we're not going to try stray outside them from time to time. It's not for the faint hearted though :)

There is a gap in the market for us at the moment to get stock into independent stores, as a few don't want to deal with the major brands at the moment. Agile brands like us, that can be flexible on stock levels, price and so on will always find a way to wiggle into the gaps.

I've often considered blogging about what it takes and took to get Chowny off the ground. But then I think I'd be the only one interested in reading it.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1462092984' post='3040130']

People like Scott and I are never going to be able to make - for instance - a jazz bass and compete with Squire. They make a solid instrument at an economy of scale that we could never HOPE to compete with.

What we can do - is fill up the niches with well thought out and soundly constructed instruments.

When making stuff in smaller runs, the things you'd cut to save money when manufacturing thousands, don't really matter. Want a bone nut? Sure why not. Doesn't affect my bottom line particularly much.

So with no distributors taking a margin, and doing our own distribution, it's perfectly feasible to make a musician friendly instrument at a good price and of good quality - as long as we work in the niches.

That's not to say we're not going to try stray outside them from time to time. It's not for the faint hearted though :)

There is a gap in the market for us at the moment to get stock into independent stores, as a few don't want to deal with the major brands at the moment. Agile brands like us, that can be flexible on stock levels, price and so on will always find a way to wiggle into the gaps.

I've often considered blogging about what it takes and took to get Chowny off the ground. But then I think I'd be the only one interested in reading it.
[/quote]

I'd be interested in reading it & I bet a lot of others would too!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1462093534' post='3040132']
What's the working conditions like in the factories these days?

This isn't a loaded question - I genuinely don't know.
[/quote]

I experienced 2 a few years ago.

One was a pristine facility, looked like a laboratory - everyone happy working, wearing uniforms and enjoying breaks and making high quality instruments for some surprising big name manufacturers.

The other was making £9.99 ukuleles and £25 acoustic guitars for mass export and was a more rudimentary affair where the conditions were poorer.

One was established and one was starting out and this was about 4/5 years ago.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1462092984' post='3040130']

[/quote]

Now I have gas for your NT-J bass, thanks a lot!
http://chownybass.com/product-category/nt-series/

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1462097373' post='3040183']
ScrumpyMike - congrats, she's a beauty! Has a sort of Alembic look to it. Very nice :D
[/quote]

Agree - looks lovely... Alembic meets JD to my eyes but a beaut! And a bargain.

I just wish that I will eventually receive mine! :(

I ordered it on 16th February 2016, [color=#000000][font=Helvetica]they were supposed to be released from the factory on the 31st March 2016 but there was a delay, I contacted the company and was told they will now be released on the 10th of April 2016, on the 14th April 2016 I emailed again to say that I was hoping to use the bass for the gig I have today (1st May) due to my ongoing back & neck problems, I emailed again on the 19th April 2016 and was told that they are due in at the end of that week, I was told it would go to the [/font][/color][size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]top of the list for setup and shipping out to ensure I have it in plenty of time, but still no bass![/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]I've not heard from the company since 19th April 2016.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1462103421' post='3040248']
I just wish that I will eventually receive mine! :(

I ordered it on 16th February 2016, [color=#000000][font=Helvetica]they were supposed to be released from the factory on the 31st March 2016 but there was a delay, I contacted the company and was told they will now be released on the 10th of April 2016, on the 14th April 2016 I emailed again to say that I was hoping to use the bass for the gig I have today (1st May) due to my ongoing back & neck problems, I emailed again on the 19th April 2016 and was told that they are due in at the end of that week, I was told it would go to the [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]top of the list for setup and shipping out to ensure I have it in plenty of time, but still no bass![/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]I've not heard from the company since 19th April 2016.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I hope Scott doesn't mind me butting in here, but his new stock is arriving in the UK on Wednesday (It's shipping together with mine). I'm sure you'll have it fairly shortly after that.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1462104249' post='3040260']
I hope Scott doesn't mind me butting in here, but his new stock is arriving in the UK on Wednesday (It's shipping together with mine). I'm sure you'll have it fairly shortly after that.
[/quote]
That might be so, but it took quite a while before I got a reply to my first enquiry email sent on 1st April, and I've had nothing but false promises since, like I stated previously, I was promised the bass would arrive in plenty of time for [u]today's[/u] gig, and if the situation has changed yet again, why no courtesy email to let me know? after all, I ordered and paid for it way back on 16th February.
I'm sure Scott is a nice guy, but I'm not too impressed with the service so far. :unsure:

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1462104249' post='3040260']
[/quote]
Just wondering, could Scott's basses which should have been released on 31st March, been delayed by waiting for yours to be shipped together to save shipping costs?

Nice to see Stephen Chown's contribution to this topic. He's based just up the road from me in Bristol and I went to meet him and try one of his basses just before the SWB-1 came out. The Chowny is equally good quality and value and reminds me of the Epiphone Rivoli that I've always hankered (OK, lusted!!) after. When I saw Scott's bass, I decided to stay with the solid-bodied construction that I have always played, but both Stephen and Scott are top guys and I'm totally supportive of what they are doing. Just picking up on thebrig's post, one of the ways they keep their prices reasonable is by buying against customer orders and not holding stock. Trouble is that any delay on the part of the Chinese factory inevitably gets passed on to the customer. All I can say is that Scott kept me up to speed with my order from start to finish and I know he'll be upset that someone feels they've been let down.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1462122862' post='3040443']
Nice to see Stephen Chown's contribution to this topic. He's based just up the road from me in Bristol and I went to meet him and try one of his basses just before the SWB-1 came out. The Chowny is equally good quality and value and reminds me of the Epiphone Rivoli that I've always hankered (OK, lusted!!) after. When I saw Scott's bass, I decided to stay with the solid-bodied construction that I have always played, but both Stephen and Scott are top guys and I'm totally supportive of what they are doing. Just picking up on thebrig's post, one of the ways they keep their prices reasonable is by buying against customer orders and not holding stock. Trouble is that any delay on the part of the Chinese factory inevitably gets passed on to the customer. All I can say is that Scott kept me up to speed with my order from start to finish and I know he'll be upset that someone feels they've been let down.
[/quote]
He probably will be upset as he does come across as a nice guy in his videos etc.. which I like a lot, and I never really intended to make my disappointment at not receiving the bass yet public, but having read this thread, I thought I would air my frustration as I really wanted to try out the bass today at the gig which I've just got home from. :)