Why become a member? ×

Unsticky velcro...

TrevorR

OK, so is it just me or is the velcro you get to stick on the bottom of pedals just not sticky enough? I've got completely fed up of opening the bag for my pedalboard and finding pedals which have slipped all over the shop while their velcro remains stuck resolutely stuck in the place it was left.

I know... first world problems...

Well, after a fun evening spent with a couple of tubes of Bostick Contact Adhesive, hopefully the velcro is now solidly welded onto the bottom of the pedals and they will be staying exactly where I put them...

I use the strong industrial Velcro (the brand) type. The adhesive is very, very strong and I couldn't forsee it ever failing. I have had it stick over rubbed feet and still be stickier than ever.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462001377' post='3039401']
I use the strong industrial Velcro (the brand) type. The adhesive is very, very strong and I couldn't forsee it ever failing. I have had it stick over rubbed feet and still be stickier than ever.
[/quote]

This. I can lift my board up by one pedal, and I swear that it'll get to the point where I can't before the Velcro gives out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought heavy duty velcro too, ( unbranded + 3 m) but the velcro part is never the problem, its always the poor adhesive on the back. Its ok with some pedals but not with others

Someone mentioned Velcro ( the brand ) industrial , so maybe thats my next try

Ahh. Failure of sticky back Velcro type (hook & loop Fastener) is one of life's (more trival but) consistent annoyances.
So the Velcro fastening is great but it's stronger than the adhesive - yes that's my IKEA Venetian Blind fascia I hear falling off at 3am :-)

I've taken to using 3M Dual Lock type fastener for a DIY pedalboard project. Not cheap but very secure fixing.
The adhesive side can get really quite complex as the best adhesive depends on the 'surface energy' of the surface being stuck to.
I'd suggest to check it out at least.
One note - I initially went with 400 mating with 400 strength and found that the adhesive wasn't strong enough. I supplemented it with Silicone but on further reading of the 3M literature saw that this was not a recommended combination.

I'd suggest checking it out at least (the 400/400 stuff will make sense if you read the 3M data)