Why become a member? ×

I've created a monster!

Dom in Dorset

The shop where I work has various teaching and practice rooms for hire. A woman brought in a group of boys to use the practice room because they were going to form a band. They were all about 10 years old. As I set up the drum kit for them it became apparent that most of them hadn't played an instrument before. I was asked if they could borrow a bass guitar and when I returned with the instrument I said "Ok who's in charge?" , one boy replied "that will be joe , he's gone to get some drum sticks".
"No , I meant who's playing bass? If you play bass you're in charge!"
The boy said "Wow , that's me!" and took the bass.
As I left I heard him say "Right , let's have a rule -nobody plays anything unless I say so....."

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1462007056' post='3039478']
The shop where I work has various teaching and practice rooms for hire. A woman brought in a group of boys to use the practice room because they were going to form a band. They were all about 10 years old. As I set up the drum kit for them it became apparent that most of them hadn't played an instrument before. I was asked if they could borrow a bass guitar and when I returned with the instrument I said "Ok who's in charge?" , one boy replied "that will be joe , he's gone to get some drum sticks".
"No , I meant who's playing bass? If you play bass you're in charge!"
The boy said "Wow , that's me!" and took the bass.
As I left I heard him say "Right , let's have a rule -nobody plays anything unless I say so....."
[/quote]

10 year's old,that's an ideal age to get into playing music. I think I was 11 or 12.

At that age you don't over think anything. It's as simple as "I'm going to play this thing" and you just do it.

Blue

Edited by blue

True - it's amazing the number of students of a similar age I've seen walk in to a lesson and pull out some amazing riffs and chops.

Turns out nobody had told them it was supposed to be difficult!

A few years back my band recorded a CD which was titled Lack of Discipline. A school teacher friend of mine took a copy in to let her class of 9 year olds have a listen and a group of 3 boys decided to form a band right then and there, and again despite never having played an instrument they already had a name for their first song - Lack of Imagination! :)

• 2 weeks later...