Why become a member? ×

MM Sire V7 5 string mods?

Freddie75

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has swapped out the preamp and/or pickups to enhance the overall sound quality on one of these? - without altering the bass itself.

Any recommendations appreciated. I love the sound of my 4 string USA Fender select active Jazz and the quality difference is quite noticeable.

I'm a novice when it comes to this type of thing so any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks
Freddie

Edited by Freddie75

The only mod I've seen mentioned so far is here
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/284009-sire-v7-marcus-miller-5-string-jazz/page__pid__3039699#entry3039699
Guybrush threepwood says: [i]"I've replaced the tone cap with a standard .047uF rather than the .022uF which came as stock. This gives the tone knob a lot more range"[/i]. This sounds like a great idea and I shall be whipping my iron out later (ooer missus) to perform a similar mod to mine. I have some nice orange drop caps that will be just the ticket.
Other than that, I've not heard of anyone modding the pickups or circuitry. I certainly have no intention of performing such major surgery on mine. I think it sounds glorious as it is.