Why become a member? ×

Basschat's Law

Twincam

Any damage to an instrument must always be referred to as 'battle scars' and an instrument is often described as a good one to have 'in your arsenal ' despite my belief that few basses ever actually take part in wars.

Unless of course the damage is genuinely caused by shrapnel, in which case I apologise.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1462025733' post='3039723']
Any damage to an instrument must always be referred to as 'battle scars' and an instrument is often described as a good one to have 'in your arsenal ' despite my belief that few basses ever actually take part in wars.

Unless of course the damage is genuinely caused by shrapnel, in which case I apologise.
[/quote]

You should come to one of our rehearsals.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1462020005' post='3039656']
What is heft, though? Depth? Oomph? Weightiness of sound?
[/quote]

My favorite description of heft is Discreet 's from a previous thread:

"It's like having a very large, heavy, sinister rubber ball bouncing on the stage behind you in time to the music. That's heft."

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1462032323' post='3039822']

"It's like having a very large, heavy, sinister rubber ball bouncing on the stage behind you in time to the music. That's heft."
[/quote]

No, that's his predeliction for anything rubber... :D

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1462032323' post='3039822']

[/quote]

Sounds a bit like Rover out of the Prisoner! :-0

But thank you both for that. I had no idea what heft was.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]dictionary.com:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]heft[/b][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]noun[/font][/size][color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]weight; heaviness:[/font][/size][color=#979797]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]It was a rather flimsy chair, without much heft to it.[/i][/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]significance or importance.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Archaic. [/i]the bulk or main part.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1462126225' post='3040485']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]dictionary.com:[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]heft[/b][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]noun[/font]
[color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]weight; heaviness:[/font]
[color=#979797][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]It was a rather flimsy chair, without much heft to it.[/i][/font][/color][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]significance or importance.[/font][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Archaic. [/i]the bulk or main part.[/font][/font][/color]
[/quote]

...and there you have it.