Why become a member? ×

Pick up booster pedal... Does it work with bass

jonnythenotes

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1462024033' post='3039708']
I was wondering if any of you have got, or tried a Seymore Duncan pick up booster pedal. They seem to be aimed at 6 string guitars, with no mention of suitability for bass. Is there any reason why they wouldn't work? They look a pretty nifty bits of kit, and not too pricey either..
[/quote]

If your looking for a plain volume boost then [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_detail.asp?stock=13062613474332&gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4HWc68Jgrw8X8sHymTWciQzIFs8r32Qs-LCLr9XRmZxoCdAfw_wcB"]this[/url] does the job for a lot less money.

Edited by bassman7755

>Seymore Duncan pick up booster

The main thing to look for is where the bass roll off starts.
The specs say the frequency response is -3dB at 30Hz and 38 kHz. That's essentially flat for guitar, but not quite for bass (although boosting the bottom octave might not be the best idea anyway). You also don't seem to be able to turn the gain down below 1 (unity), which is is probably not going to be an issue for many people. No idea if the resonance switch will be of any use.

I had one whilst playing guitar in a covers band, I didn't find it very inspiring at all, as a booster pedal it coloured the sound and the idea that it could make a single coil pickup sound like a humbucker and visa versa just didn't seem to do anything at all.

I sold it on quite quickly and brought an MXR Micro Amp instead which has one knob and just does what you want it to, I have used it on bass and it works fine

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1462271256' post='3041551']
Thanks for all you replies, opinions and advice guys. I am pretty keen on the MXR micro custom shop model, so I might give that a bash....unless some of you know better.... Cheers
[/quote]

I used to have one to balance my active and passive basses. I should have known better than to sell it, great pedal :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

Well chaps, I now own a Seymour Duncan pick up booster pedal, and it does everything I thought it would, and way more. I went for the SD for no other reason that they have huge experience in pick up manufacture, and being a pick up booster pedal, it seemed a reasonable way to form an opinion. I have only tried it in the spare bedroom,(where I am allocated a bit of space by my good lady,) and it seems to lift everything the pick up sends to it smoothly and completely, with no change of sound, frequency drop off, and unless turned to full whack, adds no background nasties. Not to sure if the the toggle switch will be of any use, as all I want to do is boost the pick ups, (and at bedroom volume, I can't hear a difference anyway,) but all will be revealed at a full blown rehearsal or gig. I still dont understand why it sounds better than just turning the amp up a bit, but it does, which leads me to my final question on the subject...... What IS the difference between turning your amp up 10%, compared to using a the pedal to give you that boost........ Thanks again guys...

I think it`s to do with the signal that is going to the amp is now boosted, rather than the amp just being turned up. Could be wrong, am not that techinical. I used to use one of these for solos when playing guitar - put in the effects loop it really boosts the volume of an overdriven guitar.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1462702825' post='3044964']
What IS the difference between turning your amp up 10%, compared to using a the pedal to give you that boost........ Thanks again guys...
[/quote]

Generally none as its just acting as an additional gain stage before your amp input gain, although theoretically you might get a slightly cleaner signal on a passive bass if the lead to the booster is much shorter than a lead directly to the amp, but in most cases nothing you would notice.

Edited by bassman7755