Why become a member? ×

Markbass NY151 Cab Combo

The GroovyPlucker

Hi,

Bit of advice required.

Have just acquired a Markbass NY151 and am looking at an extra cab to add to it. Due to it's size/dimensions I'd like a nice clean looking stack, so an additional NY151 would fit right, but not sure if x2 15" speakers are the way to go, maybe overkill!, not sure I want that much bottom end, would like smaller speakers, maybe with horn, to sing out the high end. So am looking at a 1x12, or 2x12, 2x10, which are my preferred option. The NY121 would sit on top, the 2x10's or other 1x10's could stand up right, not sure if the 2x10 would sit underneath the 151 tho. I'm guessing that the Markbass logo on the grill is easy to unscrew and refit to look right?

Any of you guys any ideas/info/experience with this scenario,

Thanks

The GroovyPlucker

Edited by The GroovyPlucker

Just a quick post to say that speaker diameter has no bearing on frequency, so 15" drivers don't have more bottom end than 10" drivers, which don't have more top end than 15" drivers... this may have a bearing your decision.

However as you already have a NY151 I know that my OCD wouldn't allow anything other than a matching cab. ;) But do you really need the second cab? Are you lacking in volume or headroom?

Yep, unless you don`t like the sound of your combo, get the same speaker again. As well as the OCD thing - I`m exactly the same as Discreet on that part - if you like the sound already, doubling up on it is something that has to be heard to be appreciated.

Also, although speaker size has no bearing on top end/bottom end etc, manufacturers do voice their cabs to have different sounds. So if say you have a 1x15/2x10 set-up with a tone you like, it`s unlikely you`ll get that exact same tone with either of the cabs alone. Whereas with two of the same, well one for rehearsals and limited space gigs, both for the bigger stuff, no need to re-eq.

Edited by Lozz196

Hi,

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Def an OCD going on with the look. Do I need another cab? Maybe, Maybe not, idea was a small set up for small venues etc, and a bit more oomph for bigger rock venues........sounds like the OCD(ness) and others opinions is drawing me to another NY151, but am in no rush to do so. haven't even tried the thing yet, lol, but thanks again for your advice folks, very much apprecited,

The GroovyPlucker

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' timestamp='1462040844' post='3039916']
...idea was a small set up for small venues etc, and a bit more oomph for bigger rock venues...
[/quote]

Bigger rock venues are likely to have sound reinforcement, so you can just use one cab for on-stage monitoring.
However I do understand the \m/ RAWK \m/ value of standing in front of a huge bass stack. ;)