Why become a member? ×

Line6 HD500(x) with the Bass?

Skybone

Anyone got any experience of using an HD500(x) with the Bass Expansion Pack?

I'm currently running a PODxt Live with the Bass Expansion Pack, it sounds great IMO, but the effects are kind of limited.

I've been looking at the HD500 & HD500x with growing GAS, as they have the M series effects loaded. The Bass Expansion Pack doesn't seem that expansive (2 different amp models, 2 different cabs), do they sound any good? Do the effects sound any good?

I know all the opinions on the various websites & forums say that the HD series sound so much better that the XT series, but in reality, are they worth the extra expense for someone who isn't gigging/recording regularly?

I don't have experience with the HD 500 but I use the HD bean as my practise rig at home.

The bass expansion IMO isn't really worth it tbh, I only use the SVT amp sim.

The effects are great and the routing gives you a huge range of playability, I am not sure about the XT's routing.

With the realise of the Helix I would probably save up and go for that instead as the amp sims and effects on that are far better than the HD. You might not notice a huge difference in terms of sound difference between the HD and XT

The SVT is on of the 2 in the Expansion Pack, the other being the GK 800, with the Ampeg 8x10 & 4x10 cabs. The only bass amps in the standard HD setup are the Fender Bassman & the Ampeg B15 from what I can see.

Saying that, I always used the HiWatt DR103 on my old PODxt kidney bean.

I recently tried one of these out for bass. In the shop through a powered full range pa speaker, it sounded ace. When I got back and ran it through the pa with my band, and into the power amp in on my SVT, it sounded shocking. There are loads of better sounding dedicated pre amps and effects for cheaper imho.

I always wanted the Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro Rack,there awesome, Bassist of Overkill uses one and so does the Bassist of Godsmack and the Bass guitar sounds incredible in those bands. Line 6 dropped all the Bass gear, now you have to buy a Line 6 lead guitar processor with not that much Bass effects on it, screw that, for that much money you can get an all Bass Processor from some other company, or a badass Bass preamp.

Well I've finally managed to sell my G&L, so I've pulled the trigger on an HD500x. When it lands, I'll be getting the bass expansion pack and tinkering with the settings (plus a few guitar patches). I'll report back when I've been tone tinkering.

Gaaaahhhhh! Still waiting for the HD500x to land, flaming courier company. They've been reckoning it's with the courier for delivery since Weds afternoon according to the online tracker thingy... Not impressed! :angry: Itching to get my hands on it! :D

• 1 month later...

I've recently acquired a 500x and am really pleased with it. It sounds so much better than the previous PODs I've used. I'm also very impressed with the M series effects on board, a vast improvement on earlier versions.
I found it much easier to setup using the software. HD edit is so much more concise and less glitchy than earlier line 6 software.
My first gig with it was last night, which it performed perfectly. I shall be taking it along for the foreseeable future.
My biggest concern is that if I like this as much as I do then the Helix has to be my next move. Time to start saving.

Edited by NoirBass

Were you using it with an amp or through the PA?

The Helix does seem like "the next step", but it's definitely out of my price range! :D By the time I can afford one, they'll be out of production!

Edited by Skybone

With my regular band I'm using an IEM system and the XLR outs of the POD go straight to the PA, no amp. I have some gigs coming up with another band where I'll be using backline instead. I'm hoping for good things there too.

I should add for anyone reading this that the Bass expansion pack is essential. Whilst you only get a couple of amps its enough to covers all the ground I need.

Edited by NoirBass

Are you going to give the "4 Cable Method" a try when you use the amp?

Indeed, the HD Bass pack is essential, though the B15, Bassman & HiWatt models all sound good too, just not as good as the SVT & GK models.

Edited by Skybone

It's worth a try if nothing else. A lot of the guitarists who use them say it's really good.

I made the mistake of re-flashing mine yesterday. Didn't realise that you just can't copy & paste old patches from backups like you could on the PODxt. It took a while, but I rebuilt my "core" patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the 500x a lot in the last few weeks and have got everything tweaked how I like on my main patches.

I'm using the SVT, B-15 and GK amps sims and I have to say I'm mightily impressed. This is now my goto rig either with or without back line.

I'm not going to bother with the helix for now as the 500x is doing all I need.

Still haven't tried the 4 cable method yet, soon maybe.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1467150602' post='3081579']
It's worth a try if nothing else. A lot of the guitarists who use them say it's really good.

I made the mistake of re-flashing mine yesterday. Didn't realise that you just can't copy & paste old patches from backups like you could on the PODxt. It took a while, but I rebuilt my "core" patch.
[/quote]

Hi Skybone

You can save patches, set lists & groups with the editor on a computer via USB you can load & move individual patches as you wish with the software.

I sometimes like to use my HD500 without any amp sims, just effects & looper!

B

• 7 months later...

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1489120107' post='3254502']
What are the Overdrives and distortin like on these?
[/quote]
I think they're very good, saying that, I'm not using tonnes of distortion, more just warming up with slight OD. I do have a Big Muff patch which seems really good.

What abut tracking on the octave stuff?
[/quote]

Very good, the bass octave model (based on the EBS octabass) is spot on, and I'm a bit of an octave snob, so I dont say that lightly.

Decent envelope filter?
[/quote]

In an ideal world I'd like more control of the parameters here, but with EQ and compressor tweaking it's possible to get decent filters.

What's the 4 cable method? Effects send and return?
[/quote]

See here:
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/4-cable-method-guide-benefits"]http://www.dawsons.c...-guide-benefits[/url]

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 1

I've had mine for nearly a year now, and I still think it's an amazing piece of kit.

Like Noir, I'm not using an overly overdriven/distorted sound, but I do have a few patches with a fair bit more drive. Overly distorted sounds can get mushy, and will get lost in a band mix, but the same will happen with a "real" pedal and a "real" amp.

I don't have many octave/harmony sounds setup, but the ones I do sound great. I do have a 5th up harmony patch, and that sounds great, and tracks really well.

Again, I've not played with the envelope filters too much, I should really experiment with them a bit more. The Wah pedals sound great, but I have experienced a "drop" in volume when switched on. I'm looking into how I can boost the signal so I can use the wah more, though an envelope filter might be a better idea.

TBH, I haven't used the 4 Cable Method, I completely bypass the amps pre-amp, and send the POD straight into the power amp. The amp I use at the rehearsal room has a "Power Amp In" socket, but you could use the Effects Return socket. Sounds good to me.

• 3 months later...

Old thread resurrection but I'm typically late to the party. Really enjoying the HD500X so far and I'm yet to get the bass pack. I'm mostly playing dance music, D&B etc so will be looking to create subby synth sounds...any tips welcome or patch sharing?. Also loving the software interface, really helpful once you get your head around it...admittedly I've not put my time into the manual yet but I'm achieving what i need to do.

Big thanks to the support from Skybone :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still a great system for getting bass tones live or in the studio, as noted it takes quite a bit of patience and study to get the best out of the Line 6 pro units, they are complex. The patches supplied don't do the units justice IMO.

Pod XTPro and cold, dead hands if you get my drift.