Why become a member? ×

The Blockheads

2elliot

The Blockheads played The Studio in Hartlepool last night.

Wow, Norman was unreal. I was stood with a stupid grin on my face all the way through the gig, the people around me must have thought I was quite special.

He was using a gold jazz bass, not sure of the make, through an Ashdown BTA head,a 2x10 and possibly 2x15. What a fantastic sound, a touch aggressive but clear and punchy...

The full band sounded excellent, The Studio is still a great little venue. The sound guy did a brilliant job, and I'm pretty sure no one went home with ringing ears.

I'm still in shock, highly recommended. I got to meet him after the gig too. What a night.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1462097649' post='3040191']
The Blockheads played The Studio in Hartlepool last night.

Wow, Norman was unreal. I was stood with a stupid grin on my face all the way through the gig, the people around me must have thought I was quite special.

He was using a gold jazz bass, not sure of the make, through an Ashdown BTA head,a 2x10 and possibly 2x15. What a fantastic sound, a touch aggressive but clear and punchy...

The full band sounded excellent, The Studio is still a great little venue. The sound guy did a brilliant job, and I'm pretty sure no one went home with ringing ears.

I'm still in shock, highly recommended. I got to meet him after the gig too. What a night.
[/quote]

The bass is probably a Bass Centre Bass Collection bass that he commissioned - I could be wrong, but I thought he either sold or retired his original Gold Fender Jazz?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1462109519' post='3040312']

The bass is probably a Bass Centre Bass Collection bass that he commissioned - I could be wrong, but I thought he either sold or retired his original Gold Fender Jazz?
[/quote]the gold one was for sale thru Andy Baxter I think, the one with the fag burn on the headstock where he poked the ciggie under the strings

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1462181333' post='3040787']
Going to see them this Thursday in Shoreham - can't wait!
[/quote]

Last time they played Shoreham (Ropetackle Arts Centre I presume?) I was playing bass in the support band and got to use Norman's Ashdown rig. And no, I didn't touch any of the controls (and I certainly didn't need to turn it up at all).

P

Ah, another chance to share my Norman anecdote... Many, many moons ago Norman was playing a small bar in Belfast in Wilko's R&B power trio. A friend and I had gone down early to make sure we got seated close to the stage. We were queueing on the stairs, waiting for the doors to open and I was waxing rhapsodic about Mr Watt-Roy's 4-string prowess. I'd just got to the part where I was explaining why Rhythm Stick had one of the best bass lines ever to grace a no.1 single, when a voice behind me said "thanks very much, mate, very kind". There was the man himself, flight cased bass in hand. We chatted for 5-10 mins before he went onstage to deliver more pure power than one man should be capable of! Still ranks as one of my favourite gigs ever

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1462212144' post='3041175']
Last time they played Shoreham (Ropetackle Arts Centre I presume?) I was playing bass in the support band and got to use Norman's Ashdown rig. And no, I didn't touch any of the controls (and I certainly didn't need to turn it up at all).

P
[/quote]

Yes, Ropetackle it is. I would have seen you then, we went to that gig. Lucky you - I can only dream that one day I'll reach those giddy heights!

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1462109519' post='3040312']
[/quote]

As someone said above, the Fender jazz was sold by Andy Baxter. He kept the famous P bass though!

He's also got (or had) a gold jazz built by a London luthier called Joseph Kaye, he used that when I saw him with his own band a few years ago. Had a massive "Faith & Grace" logo on the headstock :)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1462277821' post='3041647']
Yes, Ropetackle it is. I would have seen you then, we went to that gig. Lucky you - I can only dream that one day I'll reach those giddy heights!
[/quote]

Not sure the Ropetackle quite counts as a giddy height, but it was a fun gig - The support band was The Galleons. My only regret is that band pressure to play fretted meant I took along a "bitsa" Squire Jaguar. Would have been much more fun to play my fretless Wal through Norman's rig. He might then have even have looked up from his dinner during our sound check. Hope the gig's fun on Thursday.

Unless they are micd cabs and you are at the front it matters not a jot what badges they have on them does it? Could be wooly as hell but with the desk sending the highs to the monitors and foh.

I see this regarding artists that use un micd cabs and in ears,they could use a 10 watt guitar amp with a split speaker cone and the sound would be identical out front!

Edited by sunburstjazz1967

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1462549552' post='3043993']
And, just to be controversial, he's worth 20 Jacos in my book.
[/quote]

I have to agree. I never really found Jaco accessible. Maybe it would be different if he'd come to my attention in the same way as Watt-Roy did - punctuating Ian's rasping lyric in Rhythm Stick on TOTP while I was in my teens. Before that, I'd never seen a bassist wear a guitar that high on its strap and I thank him for "breaking convention" else I might have felt the need to conform to Peter Hook's low-hung example of axemanship as a lot of players did. Thanks also to Mark King for that.

Glad to hear Norman's still working.

I do like Jaco at times, usually with a bit of Joni though. Weather Report isn't on my Easy Listening shelf