Why become a member? ×

smooth roundwounds

I have been playing with flatwounds as they are lovely and smooth but want to try some rounds as i think they will suit my bass a bit better but i cant stand the squeal that rounds make. so as well as improving my technique can anyone recommend some nice and smooth rounds.

Andy

Elixir Nanowebs are relatively frictionless (and last well), but you'll be hard pushed to find rounds that are as smooth as La Bellas, for example. I find that generally nickel rounds will shred your fingers less and aren't as zingy as steel rounds, but that's just my opinion.

You'll probably get a different suggestion for each reply, no doubt. :)

Edited by discreet

Or maybe try the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. They`re meant to be flats that sound like rounds. I`ve tried them briefly, but as they were on a Stingray a bit difficult to judge how much their "round sound" is due to the string or the active bass itself. Certainly didn`t sound like flats though.

passinwind has been using Cobalts for a while. he liked them when he first put them on but I don't know how well they have lasted. Cheap as chips in the States, Dears as funk over here though.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I've been using Slinky Cobalts on my new fretless: good bottom; solid low mid; polite top end, but still quite roundwound sounding. Nice and clean out of the packet too, no nasty residue or stickiness. I like them.

• 4 weeks later...